• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Finally: Civilization Comes to Camp

Giardia a protozoan that infects our large intestine. I was recently wondering about the use of enema to re-hydrate with none potable water. That led me to here https://www.realfirstaid.co.uk/rectal. Hopefully none of you ever need to know that but interesting.

Probably not a good idea to use none potable water. Doesn't need to be sterile but safe to drink. I doubt much if any water would enter the rectum with the portable bidet. Black fly these have been around a long time.

About a year ago I bought a bidet seat for my a home bathroom, with out any real experience to compare and I will never ever go back. I have been thinking about picking up one of the portable bidet because when I am camping using only TP and I just feel dirty. LOL!

If you can get giardia that way then I'll bet you can get it swimming, and I never heard of that. Until I find out for sure I won't be doing any cannon balls into the lake.

I saw a video by Lost Lakes where he reviewed a portable bidet. He said he had a hard time maneuvering it into position while using a thunderbox and that he didn't feel any cleaner than if he used wet toilet paper. I think it's one of those ideas that sounds better than it is. I think the home bidet toilet seat is probably a good idea though.

Hadn’t thought of the giardia thing. Strange because my pet peeve is when people claim to drink directly from lakes in canoe country.
you wouldn't like it here. Many lakes provide drinking water and camps draw right from the lake. You can see the hoses in the lake going to the camp.. Yep I drink from my lake in the middle if I have forgotten to bring water on day paddles. I won't drink from shallows or near beaver dams.

you wouldn't like it here. Many lakes provide drinking water and camps draw right from the lake. You can see the hoses in the lake going to the camp.. Yep I drink from my lake in the middle if I have forgotten to bring water on day paddles. I won't drink from shallows or near beaver dams.e. I presumed it was filtered.
That’s common in MN too, but I’d have mine hooked up to a filtration system and radiate it too. Cabin septic systems lined up right beside the hoses. Giardia ain’t fun. E-Coli even less.

That’s common in MN too, but I’d have mine hooked up to a filtration system and radiate it too. Cabin septic systems lined up right beside the hoses. Giardia ain’t fun. E-Coli even less.
We lived in a lake community in the 70's in New Jersey. The lot sizes were insanely small. And no sewers.. Septic systems were ...agh metal tanks Yes eew..The next camp was 100 feet away. We as people may have learned that gravity feed septics were not a good idea for lake properties. Now they are uphill and pumped uphill and the well even further uphill and the minimum lot size is 2 acres.

I used to drink off the paddle Lowangle. You barely lose a stroke. I don’t do it anymore, just don’t trust the water I’ve been on, especially salt water.
Jim

I still drink from many of the lakes up here, but I won't put whatever that thing is anywhere near my posterior. Exit only, fellas.

How has life on Earth survived and proliferated for almost 4 billion years without such a device? Of course, I say the same thing about smart phones and Twitter, too . . . Luddite that I am.

I carry baby wipes.

I do most of the cleaning with whatever happens to be available, be it the underside of a leaf or a spruce bough moved in the correct direction. Then, I finish with delicate hands and a single baby wipe.

Don't just use any baby wipe though - most of them are horribly uncompostable. There's a sciencey Youtube video somewhere out there about it - in short, buy the hippie friendly wipes. They biodegrade. Your general Huggies wipes will take centuries.

Back