• Happy National Garlic Day! 🧄🚫🧛🏼‍♂️

Fiberglassing Out Doors

Reaction score
My canoe construction area is in the basement of my house. I am getting ready to fiberglass the hull, and have considered doing it just outside my basement door. It is warming up here in Tennessee 70+ and will be pushing 80 in a couple of weeks. I have concerns about the odor of the resin getting up stairs in the house. I don't want to make my wife, and myself, sick from the fumes. What are the cons of fiberglassing outside?

Roy

Rain, bugs, and wind-blown debris mucking up the epoxy. Other than that, nothing. I would leave the basement door open, and a window with a fan blowing out if it were me. (Being in TN I assume you have screens for the windows and maybe even the door? We do in Northern NY)

Jason

Thinking about the epoxy you have nice steady temps and humidity indoors, whereas those are much more variable outside.
I'm a big fan of fans, seriously, and fumes are not funny. Can you tarp the area just outside your basement door? Like a spray booth?

Last edited:
Epoxy actually does not create much in the way of fumes. I built a sea kayak once in a spare room indoors.
I much prefer to work outdoors. I made a cradle out of old tipi poles stuck in the ground. I can look at the mountains with snow on them, feel the breeze, and enjoy the day. I have a shelter for some shade. I can see the boat from my office window. Bending on some ribs soon.

Avoid windy days and breezy afternoons. I have few problems with dust, bugs or anything else even in Nevada. Choosing the time of year is important. Make sure your epoxy is suitable for your weather. We often have a diurnal range of over 40 degrees F.

Last edited:
It's one of those things you have to decide for yourself !

Good advise so far from previous posters !

Jason is right about the problems of glassing outside. I don't think I'd do it. At least find some kind of shelter.

Years ago there were precautions about epoxy indoors, but I can't say they came from a scientific study.

I've never epoxied Outside, and not in my house. Always in a garage. I can walk into that garage many days later, and still smell epoxy !

Deffintely wait for warmer temps if you can, and some kind of encloser !

Jim

Epoxy isn't bad. You can smell it but it's not real strong or all that objectionable and I don't believe it's damaging. I think if you ventilated the basement and opened some windows upstairs it probably wouldn't be too big of a deal.

The smell is nothing like poly or vinylester resins. Those I wouldn't even think about doing in the house.

Alan

Great advice you all. I will section off my side of the basement from the stairwell with plastic, and have fans in the widows evacuating the fumes. Always better to ask for advice and take the time to think about it.

Thank you all
Roy.

Years ago I built the famous 6 hour canoe, OK, more like 60 hours. I left the garage door open while I slathered epoxy on the inside only to have a kick arse wind blow a pile of dried leaves into the garage and fill the now fresh epoxy inside of the boat with broken up leaves. Yeah, they lived there until I got rid of the boat! Good idea to plastic it off to avoid as much wind and oh yeah bugs, yeah bugs they like the smell or whatever of epoxy! I am looking forward to how this turns out for you!

Ooh that would suck! I see this as an enclosed job. I'm sure I can rig up some plastic and fans in the widows.

Should I purchase a respirator?
​​​​​​

Years ago I built the famous 6 hour canoe, OK, more like 60 hours. I left the garage door open while I slathered epoxy on the inside only to have a kick arse wind blow a pile of dried leaves into the garage and fill the now fresh epoxy inside of the boat with broken up leaves. Yeah, they lived there until I got rid of the boat! Good idea to plastic it off to avoid as much wind and oh yeah bugs, yeah bugs they like the smell or whatever of epoxy! I am looking forward to how this turns out for you!

Flies, little black bugs ( maybe Nats), and the worst ? A Moth ! They flop all over the hull, leaving gray/black stuff all over. July seems to be the worst here In Iowa, for bugs, but the best for epoxy application !

as Doug says ! looking forward
to how this turns out !

Jim

Ooh that would suck! I see this as an enclosed job. I'm sure I can rig up some plastic and fans in the widows.

Should I purchase a respirator?
​​​​​​

I don't know if a respirator is necessary or not but I always wear one anyway. I usually use a respirator instead of masks for all jobs. It was only $30 or so and I've been using it for 5 years or more. I can remove the filters and vacuum them out whenever they start getting dirty.

Alan

I wear a respirator by 3M that has a carbon filter.https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/...1MthCfnC1RBcAKy127uohDJeQEitjzdvGKAKxACy6Sg&s

I used to use those Heavy yellow gloves from the Dollar store. Trouble was, after done glassing ? I'd take them off, and could smell epoxy on my hands. The epoxy permeated them.
I now wear those Black Nitrile gloves. I hope they are better.

I always wear an old plastic apron. My clothes would even smell. Wear old clothes for sure.

Jim

I don't know if a respirator is necessary or not but I always wear one anyway. I usually use a respirator instead of masks for all jobs. It was only $30 or so and I've been using it for 5 years or more. I can remove the filters and vacuum them out whenever they start getting dirty.

Same, I have two respirators, one for shop partners, and at least wear them when I am doing any sanding or cutting on old boats. I recognize that I have developed sensitivity to Vinylester sanding/cutting dust, and probably to polyester resin dust as well.

That developed sensitivity drove some long-time boat builders out of their shops; better to let the seasonal shop monkeys doing the layup work develop their own exposure limits. With vacuum bagging and exhaust filtering maybe that is less of an issue today.

I wear a respirator even when I am doing less odoriferous epoxy resin work; I really don’t need to become sensitized to epoxy resin. If that is even a thing; don’t know, not taking any chances.

To be on the un-itchy end of sanding I gown up or wear an old lab coat, long sleeves, gloves (purple Nitrile), goggles - really don’t need that crap in my eyes - and shower/change clothes immediately after long sanding sessions, especially with Vinylester hulls. By then I am already getting itchy despite full wearing PPE.

I had a sealed bag bag of virgin fabric surgical face masks in the shop. The missus kinda laughed at me when I pulled them out as potential Covid-19 protection a couple months ago. She sang a different tune when masks became required grocery store attire, and we now have a couple in each vehicle.

BTW, if you have a full beard none of that stuff works as effectively. The fabric surgical masks especially; they will beard-ride up into your eyes. The solution is to tuck your neck beard up inside the mask when you first put it on.

Not a good look, but it works.

The more PPE you do now the less sensitized you will be in 10 or 20 years.

Could you show us a pic, of how you tuck the beard under those Masks Mike ?

I am curious to see ZZ Top on how to wear your PPE.

I do have a full beard. Shaved it all off once about 28 years ago. My daughter's were scared of me and cried.

Wife said she suspects my Mom had and affair with Bigfoot.

Back