• Happy Midnight Ride of Paul Revere (1775)! ⛪🕯️🕛🏇🏼

Fiberglass stove hole in canvas tent

looks like your pipe needs to be more vertical, although that is sometimes tricky to achieve. If you put a reflector behind the stove you will get much more heat thrown back into the tent and it will reduce the risk of scorching the fabric.

No Title

Look like a great set up!! I would have set up in the woods my self, but that is just me lol... As for stove pipe, I went with this system and it work great!!
And I think with the way you are set up, it would work really good to!! This do two things, It hold the chimney in place, and also hold it together by pulling down on all the sections, so less chances of dismantling by the wind. It work equally well in snow or snow less conditions and is fast to set up. No need to carry or look for material for a bipod/tripod.

Not my idea, but a great idea!!

Attachments

• photo5625.jpg
    photo5625.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 0
  • photo5626.jpg
    photo5626.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 0
Thanks Bothwell...have been told that about the reflector by others as well. Will get to it one day. For this trip I had so much gear packed into my Jeep there wasn't room for anything else. Think I need a bigger vehicle.
That's a great idea Canoetrouge! I have several points on the tent where lashings can be connected...gonna work on that. Thx!

Looks like a nice set up, I love these types of pictures, you no doubt had a great time,

fetch

Thx Robin...it was a delicious breakfast!
I remember you posting a similar picture of your health food diet as well once...maybe on Lows Lake?...always wanted to replicate it LOL
There was also a hot cup of coffee off to the side ;)

Now I know where my missing welding blanket went..;)...good idea to protect the ground and tent materials from excess heat and sparks.

That's a good looking traditional style wall tent - Panther or Tentsmiths or?

The only thing missing in that pretty scenery shot is more tents...maybe we can work on that with you?!

Indian - Just curious as to where you were camping? I live up near Cooperstown but travel down to the Catskills quite often for work. I was home that weekend getting some outdoor work completed before the predicted snow hit. Woke up Sunday morning to almost 10" so I'm sure you had your share as well. Hope it didn't interfere with your trip and getting home safely.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

Look like a great set up!! I would have set up in the woods my self, but that is just me lol... As for stove pipe, I went with this system and it work great!!
And I think with the way you are set up, it would work really good to!! This do two things, It hold the chimney in place, and also hold it together by pulling down on all the sections, so less chances of dismantling by the wind. It work equally well in snow or snow less conditions and is fast to set up. No need to carry or look for material for a bipod/tripod.

Not my idea, but a great idea!!

Canoetrouge...mind letting me know how that setup is put together? That's a hose clamp around the stove pipe, correct? How did you get those rings connected to the clamp?

Now I know where my missing welding blanket went..;)...good idea to protect the ground and tent materials from excess heat and sparks.

That's a good looking traditional style wall tent - Panther or Tentsmiths or?

The only thing missing in that pretty scenery shot is more tents...maybe we can work on that with you?!

Funny...someday we'll do that haha
Yes, it's a Panther. Kinda big and bulky especially with all the hardware but I'm going to work on a way to get it all in the canoe eventually. The Adirondacks are full of paddling oportunities and last year I think some of the big lakes never froze over. Who knows, maybe a paddle on Long Lake or Lake Lila this winter possible!

Last edited:
Indian - Just curious as to where you were camping? I live up near Cooperstown but travel down to the Catskills quite often for work. I was home that weekend getting some outdoor work completed before the predicted snow hit. Woke up Sunday morning to almost 10" so I'm sure you had your share as well. Hope it didn't interfere with your trip and getting home safely.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

Yeah, that was a lot of snow Snapper. I had trouble driving my Cherokee through the field there and almost got stuck a few times. The property I have is just west of Stamford off Route 23.

Cooperstown = Ommegang! It's a shame they did away with the cyclocross races there. What could possibly scream BELGIUM more than a cyclocross race at Ommegang! LOL Maybe they'll bring it back some day.

Last edited:
Nice set up Indian, maybe one day we'll get to hang out when you get a dog sitter, or meet me on Friday and go to Robin's!

No Title

Finally got around to rigging up my stove pipe....no more tarp poles! Works great...just need a stiff wind to really test it out.

Attachments

• photo5921.jpg
    photo5921.jpg
    207.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo5922.jpg
    photo5922.jpg
    228.3 KB · Views: 0
My annual men's primitive winter camp is coming up the weekend of the snow moon in feb. app 35 years doing it. We have had 20+ tents. Lots of interesting hot and cold setups and ideas. Diamond flys, wedge tents, wall tents, pyramid tents, tepees.This is a period correct pre 1840 event. I look foreword to shooting my newest flintlock longrifle build. Hoping cold weather comes back-mud camping is the pits. Gotta learn how to post pictures.
Turtle

My annual men's primitive winter camp is coming up the weekend of the snow moon in feb. app 35 years doing it. We have had 20+ tents. Lots of interesting hot and cold setups and ideas. Diamond flys, wedge tents, wall tents, pyramid tents, tepees.This is a period correct pre 1840 event. I look foreword to shooting my newest flintlock longrifle build. Hoping cold weather comes back-mud camping is the pits. Gotta learn how to post pictures.
Turtle

Yes, please do share lots of pics! Sounds like a huge amount of fun...there is at least one other CT poster here who does period reenacting...

Back