• Happy National Nurses Day! 🛌👩‍⚕💉💊🎉

Fiberglass canoe repair

Reaction score
First of all, hello...my name is Evan. I live in Waterloo, IA. This is my first post here, but I've been digging around on this forum for a few days looking for a solution to my problem. It seems this site is filled with a lot of knowledgeable and passionate people, so I made the jump and got an account (just in case I wasn't burning enough free time here to begin with.....)

Like the title says, I've got a canoe in need of some repair, but I'm not very sure how to go about it...It's a 17' Aquatech fiberglass canoe built in 1977 that I bought on Craigslist a couple years ago, but beyond that I don't have much additional information. When I bought it, there were some cracks in the exterior coating but the price was low enough that I didn't care, and didn't really pay much attention to it. Over the course of a couple seasons I took it out 30-35 times, although towards the end of last year I noticed there was a wet spot on the interior of the canoe where water was getting in, through the worst of these problem areas. The water was seeping slow enough that it would evaporate before actually pooling, but it was enough for me to finally cave and realize it was time to put some effort into making this thing right. The pictures below show various stages of the cracking in the exterior I've described, ranging from minor, to the most severe area that is leaking (where what I'm assuming to be gelcoat has actually flaked off). I haven't done an official count, but there are probably a dozen areas exhibiting this defect throughout the entire canoe.

I have experience working with composites; I have done wet lay-ups of fiberglass in the past, but not for marine applications. I'm not afraid of doing a full cut-and-replace patch job here, but I'm guessing (well...hoping, at least) that it isn't necessary....could you all offer me some options for what I should do here? I've seen some commercially available patch kits, but there are several kinds, and with no experience in this type of work I'm not sure where to start.

I obviously plan on repainting it too, after whatever repairs are made, so any advice there too? Types of paint to use, prep procedures, application methods, etc?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• photo1802.jpg
    photo1802.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 1
  • photo1803.jpg
    photo1803.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 1
  • photo1804.jpg
    photo1804.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 1
Evan,
A fiberglass canoe with a start date of 1977 is pretty old. The glass gets brittle over time. I would patch the inside with epoxy and fine weave cloth after grinding for adhesion. It would make sense to paint your canoe given its age. Don't expect it to last forever. It should probably be retired from any rapids beyond little riffles.

I had an old Sawyer that I really loved, built in 1978 out of Kevlar. One day the floor just crumpled. I repaired it with a some patches and a layer of cloth and sold the boat. I told the new buyer that it was a 1978 vintage boat several times.

Painting a canoe is easy unless you want to complicate it. Do some sanding to rough up the surface and provide adhesion. I have been painting canoes for decades with a brush. You can use 1 or 2 part epoxy, enamel, etc. Mostly I use oil based porch paint. Latex porch paint or even house paint is totally acceptable as long as the boat dries for a few days before going in the water. Green is a trad color but white is my favorite. Easy to see on the water, and easy to see in a rapid upside down. It is the easiest color to repair. Yellow shows up best at sea. Red is good. Dark green and tan are the most popular. Green canoes can be hard to find on a portage, on the Tundra, on the water, and especially in a rapid. Interior colors like light grey or light tan (dead grass is one) are easy to live with if the paint is flat with no gloss.

Hi Evan

First I want to welcome yet another IOWAN to this site ! We are growing in numbers, and we have plenty of water to paddle.

Before you think about painting, what I would do is sand the outside, at least to remove the oxidized finish. Then lay one layer of 6oz S-glass, 40"width, on with enough fill coats of EPOXY resin to completely hide the weave of the cloth. The S-glass needs to cover at least to the waterline, more if you had cloth enough.

A layer of glass on the inside wouldn't hurt either. Another sanding of course before glassing. Then paint.
I'd think that would add at least another 10yrs,

Definitely a doable thing, and worthwhile !

Jim

Back