• Happy Marine Mammal Rescue Day! 🐳🐬🦭🦦

Favorite no-shuttle-needed canoe camping places?

I'm with Turtle... Adirondacks are my favorite canoe waters, and there are plenty of loops and in/out trips... Low's can be 3 days or 2 weeks. Lila, with it's long carry in, can be people free after Labor Day, and there are plenty of side excursions to keep you occupied. The St Regis Canoe Wilderness is also a favorite... plenty of loop trips there. The North Forest Canoe Trail is another in/out if you don't want to shuttle, but pretty.

In Maine, I like the Chamberlain-Mud Pond-Umbazooksus-Caucomgomoc-Allagash loop. It's got a bit of everything -- upstream, downstream, lake, dry portage, wet portage. Can be done in either direction. Hike up to the fire tower on Allagash Mtn and you can see the whole thing. Some payege to AWW and NMW but no shuttle.

There used to be a page with a nice map on voodoocanoe.com somewhere but it must have moved.

Yeah the article is down. But it'll be back soon! Mike, to avoid any portaging, you can put in on Johnson Pond in the North Maine Woods, paddle downstream to Allagash Lake and do a circuit of that lake (motors prohibited). Also if you want, you can stay at Loon Lodge in the same neck of the woods, paddle across Round Pond, see a million moose and eagles on Ciss Stream and explore all of Caucomgomac Lake and the surrounding area. If you're on your way to Canada on I-95, Island Falls is just off the highway and you can camp all over the Mattawamkeag Lakes. Dang, I'm about read to pack my car and go myself!

I'll second Allagash Lake. One of our fav lazy paddling locations.. We stay at Loon Lodge then drive a short way up a road to the gate for the path to Allagash Lake..Cartable and the ranger does not mind you crossing his property.. ( there is a carry path that cuts off but it is rocky as all get out at the end). Spend a couple of days enjoying the fall colors. Squeeze down the ice caves.. ( Our dog did NOT want to do this)

Lake Ozette, on the Olymic Pennisula of Washington State.
this link leads to my blog
http://canoepost.blogspot.com/2009/09/august-29-2009.html
I folllowed the shoreline around and with a few great sidetrip hikes made it a four day trip.
the Pacific Ocean is 3 miles away through the rain forest. The unmaintained trail to the
Norwegian Memorial and a very secluded section of beach is highly recommended.
It is in Olympic National Park. Bear container required.

Back