• Happy National Blueberry Pie Day! 🫐🥧

Favorite no-shuttle-needed canoe camping places?

G

Can be a lake, pond, bay, dammed river pool or shore, anywhere around the country. Bonus points for scenery and accessibility, more for lack of other people, power boats, steep fees or reservations.

Maryland, which has zero natural lakes, Assateague Island National Seashore without a doubt. Requires an inexpensive permit from the Ranger Station, bug heck for camping from April to November. Awesomely different in the off season.

Pennsylvania. Best I can think of are the Allegany Reservoir boat-in sites. But only if the shoulder seasons, and hopefully in the narrow window after the crazed power boat crowds are gone and before the reservoir is drawn down too far leaving a bathtub ring of steep shale.

North Carolina. Merchants Mill Pond State Park for swamp glamping, Hammocks Beach State Park for a barrier island experience. Both also best off-season for bugs and people.

There are too many possibilities in the Adirondacks or Maine to begin to pick a favorite.

I would dearly love to hear about some stuff out west, especially on either side of the Rockies. Or even out on the prairies, to break up a cross-country drive.

On a long road trip having a no-shuttle, paddle-in canoe camping place to stop and rest for a few days would be a wonderful boon.

heck, for cross country travel purposes, even a car camper site adjacent to a lovely paddling lake will do.

Having to shuttle is rare for me.
Quetico, Boundary Waters, La Verendrye, Temagami, French River , Algonquin , Woodland Caribou, Wabakimi all have dozens to hundreds of loop trips available. Bowron Lakes in BC is a single long loop.

If you paddle in the USA loop trips are harder much harder to find but still there. Maine Island Trail has islands accessible by canoe for free camping, and the Bow River circuit in Maine is a popular loop. The Everglades are another loop possibilities. If you can grab Joel he can probably outline some fifty loops.

Sparkleberry Swamp SC by its nature has infinite loops and keeping track of yourself is hard

Apostle Islands WI has a variety of loops possible.

Just did my fav canoe camping trip but requires a shuttle or a thumb. We saw six other canoeists over 50 miles. It cost $65.40 for two for five days( the shuttle cost $60 more). That included a 9 percent tax. No reservations even possible. We saw seven moose. More moose than people. The upshot of the trip is it is a bit of twenty mile an hour driving over rutted dirt roads..some 200 miles.

Glacier National Park has some amazing lakes.. You can camp lakeside with your car. There is Yellowstone Lake too but its often a bit frightening. Lewis Lake.. There is a TR from someone here about canoeing in Yellowstone..

Jenny Lake in Grand Teton and Jackson Lake. ( but that is big)

I want to canoe Crater Lake OR but its not allowed. Maybe this will do https://www.adventuresnearcraterlake.com/on-the-water/paddlin/

Don't ever die without paddling Maligne Lake in Alberta.

Leigh lake via String lake in Grand Teton is an obvious and famous choice. A short portage to a no motor lake with breathtaking views. Bring bear spray.

Most of the "few people" or "no motor" lakes in my general area involve some steep and rugged "roads". Or, in some cases, trails. One of my favorite has always been Big Trinity lake in Elmore county. I haven't been up there since the fire a few years ago though, so I don't know how it looks. The view from nearby Trinity lookout though is spectacular.

Timing makes a big difference too. For instance, nearby Cow Lake is a neat place to be in the early spring - but not so much the rest of the year....

https://www.bendbulletin.com/news/1356477-151/canoeing-on-the-edge-of-craters

Not a popular place. Just the way I like it.

We have plenty of reservoirs that have good camping, and some natural lakes with trees for shade that are easy to drive to, but they all come with lots of neighbors. The farther north you go though, the better it gets.

https://www.recreation.gov/recreationalAreaDetails.do?contractCode=NRSO&recAreaId=249

Of course, "no shuttle" often, to me, means poling. That's a whole other subject I don't think you're looking for.

In Ohio we only have a handful of naturally occurring lakes. The vast majority of our lakes are man made cesspools. They are extremely shallow and were developed as reservoirs to support the Erie canal system. With that said there is one area in Central Ohio approximately 20 minutes South of Interstate 70 about an hour East of Columbus known as the Powerlands. It is tens of thousands of acres that was strip mined and then reclaimed by the AEP company. There are approximately 600 lakes and ponds throughout the area. There is an agreement between the Ohio DNR and AEP to support the area. There are 6 free primitive campgrounds to stay at. The only requirement is to obtain a free permit from either online or at a local grocery in the area. If you fish you are required to have an Ohio fishing license. The area is patrolled by both ODNR Officers as well as AEP security. The campgrounds are pretty well maintained. No pads or hook ups but pit toilets cleaned daily and wells with hand pumps. The Bass and bluegill fishing is excellent! It is not uncommon to be the only person at a campground especially mid week. Stay away on the hillbilly holidays. Lots of wildlife. I try to get there about once a year for a weekend. I usually camp on the water and paddle my canoe around casting a flyrod for Bass and panfish. Last Summer I had a flock of wild turkey walk thru my camp site. Its not nearly as glamorous as any of the already mentioned locations but if your traveling across I70 and looking for a free campground not far from the highway where you can launch your canoe for an evening paddle this would not be a bad stop.

Quetico, Boundary Waters, La Verendrye, Temagami, French River , Algonquin , Woodland Caribou, Wabakimi all have dozens to hundreds of loop trips available.

I want to canoe Crater Lake OR but its not allowed. Maybe this will do https://www.adventuresnearcraterlake.com/on-the-water/paddlin/

I should have been more specific regarding lake to lake loops; my portaging days are over. Thanks for the link of stuff near Crater Lake, I bookmarked that for future reference.

I stopped at Crater Lake in 1988 with a solo canoe on the truck. Even if paddling had been permitted that would have been a helluva awkward climb down and back up.

https://www.google.com/search?q=cra...KHVBkDOUQ9QEwBHoECAQQDA#imgrc=hLEY83PWI7zNKM:

The Ranger staff at Crater suggested that I try Waldo Lake in the Cascades.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waldo_Lake

It has an average depth of 128 feet (39 m) with a maximum depth of 420 feet (130 m). This makes Waldo the second deepest lake in the state after Crater Lake.[SUP][8][/SUP] Like Crater Lake, Waldo Lake is ultraoligotrophic (having extremely clear water with very little organic material). It has no permanent inlet to carry nutrients into the lake for plant growth.[SUP][10][/SUP] As such, on a clear day one can see depths of up to 120 feet (36.5 m).[SUP][11][/SUP] The lake was restocked with trout every other year, until 1990 when efforts to preserve the water clarity halted the practice. The lake has a 10 miles per hour (16 km/h) speed limit for boats, but in 2010 gasoline motors were banned while electric motors are still allowed

Awesome Three Sisters scenery, amazing freaking place to paddle. The bottom shallows gently deeper for 50 yards out from shore and then suddenly plunges straight down. Paddling out over that plunge, looking down in the ultra clear water and suddenly seeing the bottom 100+ feet away elicited a near fear-of-falling shudder the first time I saw it.

Waldo has NFS campsites on the shoreline, and back in 88 had a couple of paddle-in sites on small islands. That is more along the lines of what I am looking for.
(I was there in October midweek and it was empty. No one in the NFS campground and eventually one other paddler on a distant island site. Pure bliss. 2018 conditions may vary)

Of course, "no shuttle" often, to me, means poling. That's a whole other subject I don't think you're looking for.

Yeah, not portaging, and not poling to get there. If I want to fall down go splash I will just double my alcohol consumption.

Thinking more about cross country travelling purposes, a small, undeveloped lake with shore-side truck camping and day paddling would be as good or better than paddle in site for a short layover. Daypaddle, do housekeeping with truck and gear, get ready for the next leg.

I would love to get back to Waldo someday, but that is almost 3000 miles from home, I would need a bunch of places to layover along the way and I am looking to make a list.

Thinking more about cross country travelling purposes, a small, undeveloped lake with shore-side truck camping and day paddling would be as good or better than paddle in site for a short layover. Daypaddle, do housekeeping with truck and gear, get ready for the next leg.

I would love to get back to Waldo someday, but that is almost 3000 miles from home, I would need a bunch of places to layover along the way and I am looking to make a list.

Well given your specifications Wilson Lake in Kansas should be on your list. About half way across Kansas, ~~15 miles north of I-70. Lucas Park Recreation Area (COE) has both primitive and RV loops on the water. When I visited during the summer, the primitive loop had no occupants. And after driving half way across Kansas I was ready for a break from the tedium of Great Plains traveling.

Well given your specifications Wilson Lake in Kansas should be on your list. About half way across Kansas, ~~15 miles north of I-70. Lucas Park Recreation Area (COE) has both primitive and RV loops on the water. When I visited during the summer, the primitive loop had no occupants. And after driving half way across Kansas I was ready for a break from the tedium of Great Plains traveling.

Wilson Lake is on my list, especially for cross country travelers on I-70, for all the reasons Willie mentioned. We blind selected Wilson Lake out of a Rand McNally Campground Atlas on a 1976 cross country trip (I still have and use that vintage campground atlas) and have stopped there several times since.

I have yet to paddle on the lake, maybe on my to-do list, but the mid-Kansas location and close proximity to I-70 alone makes it a winner. Plus it has never been overcrowded, even in summer season, and the fancier portion has a great bathhouse with showers to wash road grime off a traveler.

https://ksoutdoors.com/State-Parks/Locations/Wilson

Getting increasing location specific in my layover recommendation request:

Preferably west of the Mississippi all the way to the west coast is most desirable for my travels. Nothing against Ohio, Indiana or Illinois, but I am still in beat-feet mode for the first thousand miles and am ready for a less populated stop once west of the Big Muddy.

Good mid-Kansas suggestion Willie.

In Maine, I like the Chamberlain-Mud Pond-Umbazooksus-Caucomgomoc-Allagash loop. It's got a bit of everything -- upstream, downstream, lake, dry portage, wet portage. Can be done in either direction. Hike up to the fire tower on Allagash Mtn and you can see the whole thing. Some payege to AWW and NMW but no shuttle.

There used to be a page with a nice map on voodoocanoe.com somewhere but it must have moved.

Mike, the portage at String-Leigh is only about 100 yds. Campsites on the west side of Leigh are paddle-in only, IIRC, and must be reserved.

If you happen to cross southern Idaho in summer, Trinity Lakes are a must-do if you're driving a high-clearance 4x4. If you suffer from fear of heights, go in from the east, out of Featherville. Before you get that far (after leaving Teton), you can stop at Massacre Rocks on the Snake to camp, and paddle upstream and back in a lake-like section of the river. And as long as you're in the area, you simply must do the seven mile round trip up the Snake to Shoshone Falls. Make camp afterwards at Balanced Rock.

If you choose to go west more to the south by I-80, Ruby Marsh, near Wells, Nevada is worth the stop. A side-trip into the Ruby Mountains is also worth your time.

Further west...Kim mentioned Pyramid Lake. If you're going to visit Pyramid lake, it is worth your while to escape the interstate corridor at Winnemucca and head through the Black Rock Desert via Jungo road (aka state highway 49. The longest dirt highway I have ever driven). Although a railroad mainline cuts through the desert, this route is extremely remote....and stunning scenery. You have to stop periodically when no train is passing, and just listen. You will hear coyotes at night and chukars in the day....and that's about it. Avoid the rainy season. Bring extra food & water. Travel late night and early morning in winter - so the mud is frozen and the washes aren't running. Avoid Burning Man - unless you'e into that sort of thing. When you get to the booming metropolis of Gerlach, turn left to go by Pyramid. No....stop at Gerlach first and have a beer. The locals are friendly, and likely starving for company outside of BM season. Don't wander off to the hot springs. They're somewhat unpredictable. Remember the movie Dantes Peak? Stay south after Pyramid and you get back to syphilization at Reno.

Ah...fond memories....

Of course - you know about Mono Lake, right?

Where do you plan to stop heading west?

lows lake, oswagoghie river, st regis canoe area, fish creek area, lows lake, raquette river sections,forked lake,st regis lakes,- all in the adks--lots more than that there,
Turtle

Great post! I'm marking most of these suggestions on my Google Maps for future reference. Most of my road trips are spontaneous and therefor ill-planned if planned at all and this info will be great to have when I'm parked at a rest stop trying to find a place to stay on the internet.

Plenty of great lakes with campsites in the Superior National Forest on the south side of the BWCA. Drive-up and canoe-to sites. Most drive-up sites will have an outhouse and a concrete boat ramp in case you're towing one of those 20'ers. Google maps lists the free drive-up sites as "Rustic" campgrounds, but you can pay for managed sites with a dumpster, potable water, quiet hours, etc. I like Paddle Planner's Superior/Quetico map for finding the canoe-to sites but I still cross-reference google maps for things like roads. I know most of you won't be driving by the BWCA without the BWCA as the destination, but if you happen to be heading to Woodland Caribou from Florida or you're looking for a free place to crash the night before your entry permit, it's worth checking out.

+1 for Glacier. Reserve a spot in the park, and do so plenty in advance. Don't stay out of the park on the east side as I found out the hard way. I ended up at a $20 site with port-o-potties that hadn't been serviced in years over a $60+ primitive site at the KOA. Also make sure you have your watercraft inspected when entering the park! I did not, as I was backpacking in the park and the canoe was merely cargo for this leg of the trip but I wish I had because I was asked to present proof of inspection several times.

Located very close to I94 just west of Bismarck, ND are two small lakes named Sweet Briar Lake and Crown Butte Dam. Sweet Briar even has a "scenic overlook" accessible only from the interstate. Both have primitive camp sites, boat ramps, toilets, and fish. You can hear the interstate at night, but that means it's not far to get back on the road in the morning.

However, if you are traveling east-west across the northern tier I suggest taking 2 instead of 94. Plenty of campgrounds on Devil's Lake in ND and a couple on the north side of Ft. Peck Reservoir in Montana but they get low marks for "solitude" and "undeveloped". I've never been but Nelson Reservoir, west of Ft. Peck and close to 2 looks like a winner.

Kim, Steve, Wildaddict, et al, great suggestions, added to my possibilities list for cross country travel stop overs.

More than just a printed list, I have a US map with various lakey stopovers highlighted, with the name of the place penned alongside for easy where-it-is reference and will add some of those to that map.

Where do you plan to stop heading west?

I do not know. On cross country trips I would prefer much of the route and stops to be unplanned, freestyling it without being held to a specific route or destination. Even more so now that I am retired, but back in the 80s I was on a wandering crosscountry trip with a girlfriend. We were in NW Montana (in October) visiting friends and she was not liking the chill. A day or so later we were visiting friends in SE Arizona.

However, if you are traveling east-west across the northern tier I suggest taking 2 instead of 94. Plenty of campgrounds on Devil's Lake in ND and a couple on the north side of Ft. Peck Reservoir in Montana but they get low marks for "solitude" and "undeveloped". I've never been but Nelson Reservoir, west of Ft. Peck and close to 2 looks like a winner.

I have done some backpacking in Glacier, but never any paddling.

Many moons ago, 1979 or so, we drove Rte 2 from Idaho to Michigan, heading to Pictured Rocks. I know Rte 50 in Nevada is signposted as The Loneliest Highway in America, but parts of Rte 2 give it a run for the money in terms of other vehicles and, at the time, gas stations.

I made the mistake of getting below a half tank of gas in a Datsun pickup, figuring that there were plenty of little towns ahead, at least on the map. Many of those little towns turned out to be nothing more than a crossroad and a grain elevator. I was driving the night shift and the lower the gas gauge went to more anxious I became, praying for some town to have an all-night gas station.

Finally my prayers were answered, by a visible for miles illuminated yellow glow, just behind a rise ahead. Must be an all night gas station. I should perhaps have been more specific in my prayers, it was a towering cross in front of a church, bathed in yellow floodlights.

(When the gauge got to zero I found a town with a gas station. Which did not open for several more hours, so I took a nap in the parking lot. And when I outfitted my first tripping truck a few years later I attached a 5 gallon gerrycan to the side of the cap. And used it more than once.)

I'm marking most of these suggestions on my Google Maps for future reference. Most of my road trips are spontaneous and therefor ill-planned if planned at all and this info will be great to have when I'm parked at a rest stop trying to find a place to stay on the internet.

WildAddict, that is exactly my purpose and curiosity, although I do not have the mobile electronica to find places while on the road, and still use paper, maps and atlas. No GPS, so I still get blessedly lost on occasion.

I am certain that there are thousands of hidden gems, especially out west with the abundance of public lands. Or even not so hidden, NFS or State campgrounds with primitive areas and facilities.

I have thrown a canoe on some pretty small lakes, including some NFS ponds in the Manti-La Salles in Utah. Getting up into aspen, snow fields and pines is a treat after time spent baking in the desert.

And I can honestly say that I have paddled in Patagonia.

Patagonia Lake State Park in Arizona, north of Nogales. It was at the time less developed, but in the Sonoran Desert you take what you can get if you are looking for a lake.

https://azstateparks.com/patagonia-lake

Some stuff that I have not seen, and need to look into further. Some of these may be more mid-week off-season stuff, or just plain nopes for one reason or another.

Colorado. Vallecito Reservoir outside Durango

https://www.recreation.gov/recreatio...O&recAreaId=63

Montana. State Park Lakes on either side of Glacier NP (sometimes a man needs a shower and a picnic table)

Big Arm State Park on the Flathead (east side)

http://stateparks.mt.gov/big-arm/

Whitefish Lake, West Shore or Wayfarers SP on the west side of Flathead.

http://stateparks.mt.gov/whitefish-lake/

http://stateparks.mt.gov/west-shore/

http://stateparks.mt.gov/wayfarers/

Lots of possibilities near Glacier.

Wyoming. Green River Lakes on the north end of the Wind Rivers
Forest Service facilities include a developed campground with group, trailer and single sites, undeveloped boat launch area, vault toilets, drinking water, public horse corrals, and extra parking at the main trailhead.
Motorized boats are allowed on the lower lake, however the earthen boat ramp is suitable only for smaller vessels. Jet skis and other personal water craft (PWCs) are not allowed. The upper lake lies within the Wilderness area - no motorized boats of any kind are allowed there.

Green River Lakes Campground is tucked in the trees near the edge of the lower lake, and is one of the most scenic campgrounds in the area. There are no showers or phones, and your cell phone reception may be spotty due to the surrounding mountains blocking a clear signal.

No pun intended but there are a boatload of lakes on the west side of the Wind Rivers; Freemont, Half Moon, Burnt, Boulder, Willow and New Forks as well as the Green River lakes. I would love to find a primitive camper/paddler recommendation for one or more of those.

New Mexico. Heron is a no-wake quiet lake, with a NM State Park and a primitive area.

http://www.emnrd.state.nm.us/spd/heronlakestatepark.html

While I prefer NFS or BLM primitive camping sometimes a State Park is just the ticket. Even if it is not directly on the water.

Valley of Fire State Park, just west of Lake Mead in Nevada is a gem. Few places are worth $20 a night to camp, but Valley of Fire is worth a visit and some hiking if you are in that area.

http://parks.nv.gov/parks/valley-of-fire

The newest addition to Nevada State lands, Walker River State Recreation Area.

http://parks.nv.gov/about/explore-your-nevada-initiative/q-a-walker

Walker River RA is brand new, opened this summer, so I have never seen it, but it definitely makes the possibilities list.

And, perhaps my all time favorite, drive through Monument Valley, up the Moki Dugway and primitive camp out on Muley Point for the stunning vista. Do-able in any vehicle, that drive up the switchbacks and escarpment camping view is beyond stunning.

https://bluffutah.org/mokey-dugway-muley-point/

BTW, if you are cheap like me when it comes to spending $20 a night or more for a campsite this book will pay for itself in short order when travelling out west.

https://www.amazon.com/Camping-Amer...1&keywords=free+and+low+cost+campgrounds+book

Mike, Waldo is high on my to-do list too, as are Green River Lakes and vicinity. There are a lot of great bodies of water in the Bend/Sisters area that I intend to invade some of next year when I'm retired. If you do indeed head this way then, I'd be up for a rendezvous.

If you get all the way to the coast, I recommend you spend a day on Nehalem Bay. Lots of coastal camping in the area. I have a paddling contact or two there who may be helpful too.

The Green River lakes are a favorite of mine, especially off season just after the campground closes services. I'll be up there in a few weeks just kickin' back and doing some fishing and walkabouts. I like this location for a casual car camping time, just use the vehicle as a bear box.

I just stay in the campground, fire rings and old picnic tables are the extent of the amenities. Not all spots have a good tent pitch area but I just dress something to fit my little 2 man shelter. I choose a site where I can easily rig a tarp for dining and relaxation. Vault toilets are available but the water is off post season. I just filter lake water, easy enough.

Afternoon winds are common. I once had to chase an Old Town Pack that I left upright and unsecured at the shore. That was fun ;) You'd be surprised how far away a little lightweight canoe can get on a wind driven mountain lake. Fortunately it didn't head down the Green river.

Be prepared for a slow rough go of the last 18 miles or so when the pavement ends going to the campground. Its a washboard from heck. Keeps the riffraff away though.

Lots o' day hikes around, good photography fun. Getting to the small upper lake is easy with a short pull or can be poled for those so equipped and skilled. Nice hike from the upper lake to the base of Square Top mountain. Bugs are heavy during the summer season but not at all bad in late September. Nights will run the low 30s, 60s when you're out and about. Afternoon & evening thunderstorms can be ferocious but enjoyable if you're prepared. I like sitting back under the tarp with a nice cup o' joe when the skies decide to put on a show.

Plenty of fish to be had for meals, I usually gorge on them when I'm there. I take 'em on spinners, never mastered that fly flingin' thing. Firewood can be scarce for the big fire enthusiast but I always find plenty of fuel for my small cooking and philosophizing campfires. I do take a bundle of wood in just in case though. One of the perks of car camping - firewood and a big cooler ;)

Here's video for you polers illustrating the easy trip from the upper lake to the Square Mtn location:

Not in the Favorites category, more in the elusive category.

The Allagash Lake Loop Trip:

Chesuncook, Round Pond, Allagash Lake, Chamberlain, Mud Pond Carry, Umbazooksus and out.

Favorite campsite going by number of visits is on Bark lake, SE of Algonquin park... free paddling and camping on crown land with AP nearby if an overnight is needed without paying for a motel or campground.

BTW, Ontario's Crown Land Use Policy Atlas provides a map showing where crown land and lakes can be accessed for camping... you'll see private land shaded grey being replaced by crown land shaded yellow on the online map, going north. All kinds of roads are shown, some of which might be seldom-used forest access roads.

https://www.ontario.ca/page/crown-land-use-policy-atlas

Central view of Bark lake, in cliff shade.

8724043348_aaa6035b21_b.jpg

A favorite campsite, this island and other islands also have campsites but with less room to move around.

30392671276_92c18be84a_k.jpg

Last edited:
The Green River lakes are a favorite of mine, especially off season just after the campground closes services. I'll be up there in a few weeks just kickin' back and doing some fishing and walkabouts. I like this location for a casual car camping time, just use the vehicle as a bear box.

I just stay in the campground, fire rings and old picnic tables are the extent of the amenities. Not all spots have a good tent pitch area but I just dress something to fit my little 2 man shelter. I choose a site where I can easily rig a tarp for dining and relaxation. Vault toilets are available but the water is off post season. I just filter lake water, easy enough.

Here's video for you polers illustrating the easy trip from the upper lake to the Square Mtn location:

Holmes, oh heck yes, that is exactly the kind of thing I am looking for. Miles of washboard does not bother me, vault toilet (or no toilet) does not bother me, I sleep in the well appointed bed of the tripping truck and carry a food barrel, a 5 gallon carboy of water and two filters.

The scenery in the video is inspiring, and I believe I spotted a Mad River IQ boat with bow spray shield.

FWIW accessories for the IQ system are easy enough to DIY. Photos of my BILs IQ canoe, with DIY lash in loops and spray cover:

http://www.canoetripping.net/forums...o-diy-accessories-for-the-mad-river-iq-system

The rope he used, sewn inside a DIY Sailrite sleeve to make the boltrope that fits the IQ channels, is 3 / 16 inch poly line.

Back