• Happy Scream Day! 😱

Favorite Dessert

When solo tripping dessert is usually something sweet or nutty, easy opened or unpackaged and scarfed down-able raw and uncooked.

On group or family trips, especially if we are base camping without carries, dessert can become more involved, and more delicious. And more competitive. For those type trips I am a big fan of pie irons in the coals

http://www.gandermountain.com/modpe...&kpid=412369&gclid=CPD5-8fj-8UCFVcSHwodkywAPQ

And not just for hellacious tasty hot and easy cobbler deserts. Think pizza pocket dinners or egg and hash brown breakfast pockets if lingering over a morning campfire. Just Googling pie iron recipes will produce an endless variety of simple recipes.

There is no clean up, just drop the pocket on a plate and enjoy; the iron comes out clean and ready for the next attempt.

To be fully competitive you need two pie irons, which guarantees color commentary from the peanut gallery upon the reveal about whose came out best and why.

something like this swedish fruit stew always goes down well -- get everything dried, start things re-hydrating in the morning of, screw-on nalge again --- can't have enough fruit on a trip, and liquor to taste...

FRUKTSOPPA (OLD FASHIONED SWEDISH
FRUIT SOUP)
3/4 c. dried apricots
3/4 c. dried prunes
6 c. cold water
1 cinnamon stick
2 lemon slices (1/4 inch thick)
3 tbsp. Quick cooking tapioca
1 c. sugar
2 tbsp. raisins
1 tbsp. dried currants
1 tart apple, peeled, cored and sliced
Soak the apricots and prunes in 6 cups of cold water for 30 minutes, in a large stainless steel or enamel pan. Add cinnamon, lemon, tapioca and sugar and bring to a quick boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for 15 to 20 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking. Add the raisins, currants, and apple slices and simmer an additional 5 minutes, or more, until the apples are tender but have not disintegrated. Pour the mixture into a bowl and cool to room temperature. Remove the cinnamon stick and serve at room temperature or place in refrigerator for later serving. Wine, rum, cointreau, etc., could be added in small quantity. This is served as a light but nourishing dessert.

Last edited:
1 chocolate bar. I don't often eat them outside of tripping, as a matter of fact I rarely eat desert, but canoeing I do enjoy something like a KitKat Chuck Peanut Butter after I eat dinner.

1 chocolate bar. I don't often eat them outside of tripping, as a matter of fact I rarely eat desert, but canoeing I do enjoy something like a KitKat Chuck Peanut Butter after I eat dinner.

Same here. I don’t eat many candy bars outside of times when I am solo tripping. Then I’m partial to mini-Snickers. Or Fig Newtons, they repackage into a dense caloric mass and seem to keep well.

The small bite-sized stuff allows me to titrate my dessert intake over a trip and help make it last.

Back