• Happy Peace Officers Memorial Day! 👮🏽‍♂️👮‍♀️

Extra long drill for seat hangers?

G

I sent some deep seat drops to a friend, wood drops left undrilled so he can mark a starter hole properly located below the inwale.

Can anyone recommend an on-line source for an extra long drill, or drills? Maybe one for 3/16” and one for ¼” hardware. Actually 13/64 and 17/64 would be better, to leave a little room for varnish coats inside the drilled hole.

Six+ inches long would be sufficient for deeper drops and still leave some in the chuck.

I’ve seen and bought long bit at a well stocked hardware store. Bought plenty in the 1/4” and up sizes that way. Smaller than that I would go to a machine supply company like MSC or McMaster Carr, Blue Point is another catalog I have but have never bought from them. I’m sure there are others.
Jim

here you go Mike. From Garrett Wade.

https://www.garrettwade.com/long-air...RoC6Q8QAvD_BwE

or just google long drill bits, that’s what I did.

here they are available individually in 1/32” increments.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...ickkey=1107123

Aircraft Spruce is a good company, I’ve bought from them before. I buy Ceconite from them for the heat shrink Dacron coverings on canoes if they don’t want the heavier canvas.

Last edited:
I have bought several 1/4" drills. 12 " -18".They work great for drilling hanger brackets, as you can sight them, and see where your bit is going,

Having said that, I've missed the mark a few times, and glued in a wood plug, let dry, and drill again !

Found them all locally.

IMG_1579_zps4zwvziyf.jpg

Should be easy to find, any half decent hardware store, even Home Depot which definitely have the extra long bits (not sure which sizes).

My local hardware store, Foster Bros, carried them back when they were still in business and that’s where I got mine.

My semi-local independent hardware where I shop for most things does not, but their selection and stock has suffered from big-box hardware competition.

The Home Depot that put Foster Bros out of business only carries long hammer drill bits.

Maybe he’ll have better luck in his area.

Any decent industrial hardware store that supplies electricians, telecom, or contractors should have them or be able to order them in. Ask for installer bits.

Yes dont look in the drill isle at HD.. look in the electrical isle. The long bits should be with the lineman pliers and extra large hole saws

jason

Last edited:
I just discovered that double sided Velcro™ last Summer. I was wandering through the aisles at Home Depot and there it was.

Years ago I DIY'd by sewing two (m/f) strips together but the real thing seems good. I carry a couple of pieces about a metre long, good for securing padding to the seat, securing paddles during a portage and numerous other Macgyver type situations.

Back