• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Essex Chain Lakes (Adirondacks) Trip Report: July 2021

The writing, the photos, the videos -- what a thorough trip report!

Just curious, what model Hornbeck do you have, and do you have an estimate of the total weight the hull was carrying with you in it?

Great trip report. I've yet to visit the area and your report makes it all the more tempting. Now that I'm retired, I may do a mid-week trip to check it out this fall if the rain will ever let up. I'd like to see it without having to view everything through the raindrops from underneath my rain jacket's hood.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

TB, nice , thorough trip report, thanks for linking it.

To all that plan to visit the Essex Chain Lakes, I can’t say it too much…take the time to travel down the Chain Drain that leads to the Rock River. The series of falls and cascades in the rock chasm will be worth the effort. It is a seldom visited gem, made all the better due to the effort to it.

GreenFrog,
I've been down the Chain Drain several times since the area had public access.
The Chain Drain is easily navigable all the way to the rock chasm and cascades. From there, it's maybe a .2 mile bushwhack on river right to rejoin the Drain, with the confluence with the Rock a stones throw beyond. Downstream on the Rock are a few riffles, and maybe a couple beaver dams (it varies from year to year). Another bit and you're on the Cedar, right where Square Rock Rapids dumps out. If you scramble up and over the hill right there, you'll stumble upon Pine Lake.
I've been there and a couple miles farther downstream, but never paddled the last set of rapids to the Hudson. And if you're curious, I have yet to paddle the rapids between Pashley Falls and Elm Island. Someday, someday.

I have some pics I'll post in a few minutes...

OK, here's a link to pics from a day trip I took with a couple fellow forum members (sorry, different forum), I think the day was 14 miles round trip.

And here's a link to pics of an earlier trip down the Chain Drain, including more of the cascades

And for the impatient vicarious trippers, here's a couple to whet your appetites.

AM-JKLUI86Frhw5wbQTy-nNjhKij-iBAl-hH-ynjsk-R5FbB3qyHgZHwoUgO4XEsXNCwLnPQ779cL54jVySnH0kY-AdR21QC0jft7TYZwsF3Q8_L9nus-NuK6BfxgprpORIvNrhT-VL7m1FM_ObmT7ArUjhaGA=w1297-h869-no

AM-JKLX7qfjW5URBhBzC5svZKCM8U_thVrOpHUVPMQzzbi5tunSAkkFitrONviOSSXz3K7lpmJOcCl88ox41tpOG0nJA0u3UoE8iUap-tWcLuAhHCWwFPTFsn56MGXo3YT-zGej_jN-jZDq2dgEPrcE6BFVZ_g=w1297-h869-no

AM-JKLVb-HJF-mHEqR3U0gMZnNq27LnoBulM97rlzbpd6rBNZL6lmqcAsXhggqvm-7qZcLdVk38seUhLZTdqDrpeW02JbxDnrRJxy4ZYMXiVA1pIakC1QKlB61NlgVw8HyfQcg30Y_XDk1C2GqlvSHj3Bbb4pA=w1297-h869-no

The writing, the photos, the videos -- what a thorough trip report!

Just curious, what model Hornbeck do you have, and do you have an estimate of the total weight the hull was carrying with you in it?
Hi Glenn. Sorry for the delay in replying (I have been out on multiple trips and haven't been back on the forum). I have a NT-12. I way about 185. My guess was the portage pack was 30-35, then a couple of pounds each for the thwart bag, photo/video/sound gear and likewise for food bag. The Hornbeck handled it all fine - paddled great.

Great trip report. I've yet to visit the area and your report makes it all the more tempting. Now that I'm retired, I may do a mid-week trip to check it out this fall if the rain will ever let up. I'd like to see it without having to view everything through the raindrops from underneath my rain jacket's hood.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper
Thanks, my plan is the same.

TB, nice , thorough trip report, thanks for linking it.

To all that plan to visit the Essex Chain Lakes, I can’t say it too much…take the time to travel down the Chain Drain that leads to the Rock River. The series of falls and cascades in the rock chasm will be worth the effort. It is a seldom visited gem, made all the better due to the effort to it.
Thanks for the recommendation, I plan to do that on my next trip there.

Back