• Happy International Museum Day!🏛️ 🖼️🏺

Early season!?

Reaction score
I don't know how it's looking everywhere else, but here in the UP the temps have mostly been a lot above normal with temps in the 20's and 30's. Ice hasn't been nearly as thick as it normally is this time of year. Since I'm taking a job in Alaska this summer i might get to get more canoeing in this spring than I had even figured! Anyone else thinking the same thing?

March and April are white water season my first trip as of now March 25 th if the rivers flow sooner I will be on them. The problem this time of year is parking because the roads and parking areas are clogged with snow

Been a winter of ups and downs here. Cold and lots of snow followed by a warm snap that lasted over a week. Knocked the snow down and then another deep cold snap. During the thaw the lakes slushed right up and then the deep cold froze them solid. I'm just about nutting the auger when I go fishing. But now mid February we are entering another warm spell. Temps are forecast around +8C again. We've had very little snow since the last thaw so we will see what that does to the snow and ice. Maybe fishing out of boats for the closing weekend of walleye. Early snow melt could lead to another fiery spring.

Warm spell coming here. Turtle pond is 1/3 open now due to our bubblers. On monday I plan on getting the fleet wet-just got the itch. Also thinking of reshuffling the fleet- getting rid of the osprey and Kee 14. cabin fever.
Turtle

I don't know how it's looking everywhere else, but here in the UP the temps have mostly been a lot above normal with temps in the 20's and 30's. Ice hasn't been nearly as thick as it normally is this time of year. Since I'm taking a job in Alaska this summer i might get to get more canoeing in this spring than I had even figured! Anyone else thinking the same thing?

I'm still skeptical ... it will be in the 50's here all week (probably breaking a couple of single day records), but winter may come roaring back in March.

Just recently read that here in NY, there have been a record number of deaths from people falling through the ice...either snowmobilers or ice fisherman. Sad. With the relatively mild winter this year (coulda fooled me), lake ice just isn't thick enough in all areas. Be safe!

You could be right about a possible early ice out, srobocop. Here in the Adirondacks, we've had lots of snow but mild temperatures. It takes sub-zero temperatures (which we haven't had for 2 months) to form thick lake ice beneath the insulating layer of snow.

60F here in So. MN today, went for a paddle on the half open pond and up the creek for a ways. Supposed to be warm for the few days so I'm guessing all the ice will go. The mighty Mississippi main channel is open too, backwaters can't be too far behind.

Did my first paddle of the year a couple days ago. Pineapple express came through and melted all the snow in the valley, and most of the ice. Afternoon temps around 50f or more. The local river is controlled by upstream dams and usually runs at minimum flows this time of year. They ramped up the flow last week to prepare for an unusually high spring runoff, so that made for some good paddling. Water so cold, it numbs the bare hand in about five seconds. Dry suit is a must.

Yes for gods sake make sure you are prepared to endup in the water. If you dont have the right gear, stay on the shore until it warms up. It is so so easy to let the mind wander and the next thing you know its crisis time. So dont be that guy.

Whose job are you taking? There's canoes I need to buy. Where will you be working and what will you be doing if it's not too personal?

I don't feel I'm taking anyone's job as they are looking for people for the position. They are looking for guides. for fishing/hiking/skeetshooting/etc/

Winter really hasn't gotten a solid grip here in Southern New England. We had one decent "blizzard" of about 12-18 inches of snow a couple weeks ago, and that is now well on its way to melting away. There is some thin ice on the ponds, but not on the rivers for the most part, and local paddlers have been pretty much able to paddle whatever they want with the proper cold-water gear. -rs

Back