• Happy National Scotch [Whisky] Day! 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🥃🚱

Dump cakes

Reaction score
Going on (2) NFCT work weekends and took dump cake ingredients last year.
I've always made dump cake with 1 large can of pie filling, 1 box cake mix, and a stick of butter. Just checking online recipies and finding variations to include 1 or 2 cans of filling, 3 to 12 tablespoons of butter, and some add a can of lemon lime soda. Anyone compared?

Anyone recommend lining d.o. in foil for this? (borrowing d.o.)

Thinking peach and yellow cake mix.

All suggestions welcomed. (Well, not suggestions to eat less.)

Thanks!

I've always made dump cake with 1 large can of pie filling, 1 box cake mix, and a stick of butter.
This is how we always did it in my Scout troop. We did not line the Dutch oven with foil, and we usually used yellow cake mix.

Peach sounds delicious as a filling! A small suggestion: if you've never tried it, peach and blueberry is a flavor combo to die for. Never done it for dump cake, but I don't see why it wouldn't work? Not totally sure, but it might come out better if you sprinkle fresh blueberries into your canned peaches instead of using canned blueberries, though...and that might be too bougie for dump cake!

Thanks.
One of our troops adults was a fabulous cook - the best. We always looked forward to the weekends he was on. Made a dump cake with ginger ale and fruit cocktail - the vile stuff our mom's - mine at least - put in jello for church suppers. The dump cake with fruit cocktail was just fantastic.

I'm wondering if I have to double up for 12 people.

Thanks.
One of our troops adults was a fabulous cook - the best. We always looked forward to the weekends he was on. Made a dump cake with ginger ale and fruit cocktail - the vile stuff our mom's - mine at least - put in jello for church suppers. The dump cake with fruit cocktail was just fantastic.

I'm wondering if I have to double up for 12 people.
I used to do the same with my scouts, but I'd substitute cola and a bottle of cherries for chocolate cake, made many b'day cakes on trips that way. For larger batches I did 2 ovens- doubling the mix meant way more cooking time and caused the top to burn.

I've found one - 2 cans beaches, 1 yellow cake, 1 can soda, 1 stick of butter. Seems safe. I'm guessing the ones with soda are more fruit crumble or crisp than cake.

I've found one - 2 cans beaches, 1 yellow cake, 1 can soda, 1 stick of butter. Seems safe. I'm guessing the ones with soda are more fruit crumble or crisp than cake.
actually the carbonization makes the cake rise much like that caused by yeast, making a light and fluffy cake.

Back