• Happy Birthday, William Shakespeare (1564-1616)! 2️⃣🅱️, 🚫2️⃣🅱️

double blades in a canoe

Blabber? Not so, sir. I for one enjoy reading your well crafted posts. They should be collected and published!
Keep on "blabbering".
Regards,
Dave

I really enjoyed the walk around your yard, although I'll be a little careful until I know for sure where mama skunk is located. Any time your muse is with you, go right on ahead and share! We will be all the richer for it.

I suppose everybody probably sees the site a little differently than everybody else; but for me the biggest draw is that I see you all as my friends. There is the little problem of the width of the continent and we'll never meet but I prize everyone none the less. (and in some cases maybe even more!)
Fleshing out what someone's really like here is kinda hard; it's something like when I was a kid listening to the radio trying to build an image from the way the Lone Ranger sounded.
So...Brad, your "blabby posts": thanks to them I've got a pretty clear idea of who you are and I'm proud to call you "friend".

Now on another subject: Our friend Memaquay has said some pretty awful things about double bladed paddles. I suspect that It comes from being built the way he is, he could probably take a Popsicle stick and out paddle the both of us. Howsomeever, life has a funny way of causing some of our words to circle around and like a boomerang smack us just under the ear. Mark my words; his time is coming!
After many opportunities to test one thing and another, I've found that ketchup helps me eat crow and get it down. Now up in Canada there, what's the regional favorite crow sauce? I'd like to get a bottle to have on hand against that time to post off to him! (in the kindest possible way of course!)

Best Wishes, Rob

Now on another subject: Our friend Memaquay has said some pretty awful things about double bladed paddles. I suspect that It comes from being built the way he is, he could probably take a Popsicle stick and out paddle the both of us.

The slogans used to be "Eat your Wheaties!" and "Got Milk?" but I think it should be changed to "Eat your Walleye!" and "Got Budweiser?".

Well maybe the former if you want to go to the Olympics, but if you want to man handle giant boats I think it should be the latter.

Blabber? Not so, sir. I for one enjoy reading your well crafted posts. They should be collected and published!
Keep on "blabbering".
Regards,
Dave

I'll second this wholeheartedly.

Pleasant waters to ya.

Holmes (AKA Ichabod)

The slogans used to be "Eat your Wheaties!" and "Got Milk?" but I think it should be changed to "Eat your Walleye!" and "Got Budweiser?".

Well maybe the former if you want to go to the Olympics, but if you want to man handle giant boats I think it should be the latter.

Well on the subject of cogs and dats, any Internet "discussion" is bound to end eventually in negativity.. So I am packing up the cogs and dats and like participating in a good campfire, considering selection of the local microbrew to share around the campfire. So to speak to grease the subject gently. Its disheartening to think of Budweiser. I was thinking more along the lines of Maudite (8.0 %) but that is a shameless Quebecois beer and no Ontarian worth his mettle would be interested. Perhaps some Allagash Black? Or Old Engine Oil.. both of a certain hi octane to ease the persuasion to cogs and dats.
http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/323/875/

Maudite is out.. none of them are using a double.

http://www.unibroue.com/en/beers/17

Please suggest to me a good double blade beer.

Last edited:
Alas, my long winded post was lost somewhere between preview and save. I'll précis it, removing all the style that made it a work of art. I'm a newb. Double blading works for me. It helps in headwind and in bracing, and that gives me confidence. It takes little skill to get where I want to go in the bush. Does that bother me? heck, yes. I subscribe to Glenn's vision of the lone paddler in traditional gear, wielding a single blade with economy and grace. And I believe Odyssey's mentor was right...I need a single blade to develop my skills. But for now the double blade works. I am the opposite of Rejean Roy...I'm in a Kevlar yellow rental Osprey or Shearwater, using a double blade with orange tips, passing your campsite in a blaze of goretex, kerplunking away. Someday, I will take the canoe to the shallows, test its limits, heel it over, try some manoeuvres, and work on my single blade skills. But for now, the double blade gets me out there. My question: am I negating the canoe designer's intended fluid-dynamic characteristics for the boat by using a double blade and never really heeling it over?

Last edited:
Well on the subject of cogs and dats, any Internet "discussion" is bound to end eventually in negativity.. .

I'm a bit confused but I meant no negativity... only a jest that Meme's super human strength may be a result of his higher than average Walleye fish and Budweiser intake.

And maybe another jest that perhaps that be the breakfast of the 'canoe tripper'. I've eaten my milk and Wheaties and there is no way I'd be able to pop a 110lb canoe up over my head :p*

*Well maybe once I could, but the resulting hernia would prevent a second try.

I'm a bit confused but I meant no negativity... only a jest that Meme's super human strength may be a result of his higher than average Walleye fish and Budweiser intake.

And maybe another jest that perhaps that be the breakfast of the 'canoe tripper'. I've eaten my milk and Wheaties and there is no way I'd be able to pop a 110lb canoe up over my head :p*

*Well maybe once I could, but the resulting hernia would prevent a second try.

That statement was a generalization. Usually on most forums the discussion devolves into a spiral of beating each other up..I want to get Mem lightly soused and use other persuasion. I'll take the walleye and pass on the Bud..

Any brew suggestions? That is the question. For now I have to run off and find how much I can export to Canada. Oooh 8.5 liters or 287 fluid oz.. As some micro brews are 22 oz for $7.99, that requires a LOT of walleye.

Last edited:
How about this? A traditionalist might consider a canoe paddled by a double blade to be... A Cracked Canoe:

Last edited:
I'll Have to learn how to kayak first...I imagine it's not the same as double blading a canoe.

A 100% double blade paddler is joining in the conversation. Because of an old work injury I could never enjoy using a single blade and did not paddle much. I tried a double blade and have never looked back. I use a 260 Werner Camano that is all carbon and less than two pounds for good tripping waters. If I am bushwhacking up unknown streams I go back to the 275 Carlisle beast that weighs over four pounds. The intended trip dictates which one stays home. I carry a Carlisle single blade but it never gets used other than as a walking stick while portaging a canoe and pack. Unless it is really windy my canoe stays dry by keeping a low angle and having the blades unfeathered. This way the blades act as drip points and the water runs off the edge of the blade and not down the shaft. It disappoints me that most shops do not carry a double blade over 240cm. Fortunately Werner and others are seeing the demand for longer paddles and allow you to special order them.

I often times used my double in the rear of a tandem and now I even use it from the front. In the rear it is really useful when the paddler up front is really young or just not an experienced paddler. In the front it allows me to power ahead. It seems crazy but much appreciated by the stern paddler. It requires a little adjustment to get the most out of it but well worth it.

It all boils down to what allows you to enjoy paddling the most.

Wow, I'm off line for a day and the dats and cogs go bananas. As a matter of fact, I was sitting in my back yard last night with three fellow canoetripping.net members, drinking quite a lot of the notorious Bud Lite. In fact, the kayak paddle discussion came up, and we laughed heartily at the folly of the dirty double blade. OM, you may be right, I have eaten Crow many times, but I'm not picky, as you can see from my pics, I have obviously been eating most things in my path for awhile. On another note, OM, thanks so much for that wonderful book, I love the old pictures in it and the write ups from the past. Tried to send you a PM, but I wonder if your inbox is full? Anyway, really tickled my fancy to find that in my mailbox yesterday, once again, many thanks.

Now on to micro-breweries and their merits relative the yak paddle…..seems to me micro brew drinkers are often yak paddlers, heck, sometimes they can even double blade right up to the doorstep of the microbrewery and walk in with their fancy skirts on. Don't get me wrong, I'll drink micro brewery stuff, heck, I'll drink anything, but I still won't let the dirty double blade in my canoe!

Well, I'm hesitant to make a pronouncement on something I know very little of, but…...……where do you put the beer in a pack canoe? And isn't "pack" canoe a misnomer, since it looks like you couldn't pack much of anything in there? Why not just cover it over with a big skirt and call it a "soft Kayak"? The more I look at the thing, the more it bothers me, it looks like the product of inter-species dating between a rabbit and an ostrich…all skinny and spindly with little leg like wing things. Lastly, how would my arse fit between 24 inch gunwales?

I might try it if no one was looking.

Funny you should bring up that about the mailbox. I got a "full" message while I was working up a note to somebody. Went and checked and I had four or five messages so I deleted them but no where near fifty. Maybe I don't know how to delete the right way but the old messages do seem to disappear. :p
Well, there it is; one more thing I'll understand when I'm a grownup.

Glad you liked the book. Don't worry if you have a little plump on your dumpling; in the natural world what animal would pass on good food? Only one looking to go extinct!

Now while I'm fussing: every so now and again I get this notice "Invalid Server Response, Please try again." I can't do a darn thing about the server, don't know anything about it. If it's broken, I didn't do it.
But that little popping up sign: it might be useful if it said " Do you really want to say something that stupid?" or maybe "You ought to think that over before you hit "post reply"
Just trying to help, Rob

The rastrich carries wine well and 11 gallons of water in the Everglades so I have no doubt about its hauling capabilities.. Do you need to haul 118 cans of Bud? Fortunately 24 inches fits well. I can attest to being round. If we were flat sided being 48 inches around might be an issue.

Well, ain't that something, the "rastrich" can carry quite a load! Can you paddle it with a single blade? OM - I like your your pop up idea, if I could wire up the lens on my glasses to the part of my brain that makes speech, I could get that message to flash in front of me every time I went to open my mouth, and I would probably stop talking all together.

Anyway, back to poor Brad and his serious question about yak blades. Brad, I heard that if you use a kayak blade in a canoe too much, you will go blind. My eyesight is already pretty bad, so I'm not gonna chance it.

Now on to micro-breweries and their merits relative the yak paddle…..seems to me micro brew drinkers are often yak paddlers, heck, sometimes they can even double blade right up to the doorstep of the microbrewery and walk in with their fancy skirts on. Don't get me wrong, I'll drink micro brewery stuff, heck, I'll drink anything, but I still won't let the dirty double blade in my canoe!

I feel the need to contribute some more to the downward spiral or this conversation (sorry Brad)...

There is something to be said for mass produced beer. Someone figured out how to make it good time and time again - and people bought it time and time again, enough so that they had to make a bazillion gallons of it!

Craft brew on the other hand needs to be no more than a couple meth heads in their basement pouring swamp water, malt, and way too much hops into a dirty old bathtub. Slap on a fancy label and kewl name and you're in the beer industry!

I, myself, prefer the old world beers. The ones that have stood the test of time. It's hard to go wrong with a brewery that has been around before the renaissance and uses recipes derived by monks who had nothing better to do but copy bibles, bake bread, and brew beer. They were bound to get at least some of it right!

Also I find the Reinheitsgebot (German Purity Law) very fascinating... and for a couple reasons. First off, don't put berries and crap in my beer! That's wine or liquor. The Germans knew this, so they made it illegal for anything to go in beer except water, malt and hops. Great idea!

Second, those monks had to work darn hard to make all sorts of different flavors of beer from only three ingredients (they didn't know about the yeast then, but they modified the law to include that later on). No one could cheat a bad batch of beer by adding salt, sugar, herbs or berries. Heck with that fruity non-sense. Do it right or don't do it at all! Focus on the process, and that they did. Some argue the Czechs did it better... hmm maybe (the original Budweiser is Czech, now called Budvar in America due to a lawsuit)... some argue the Brits perfected them. Minor differences as long as they are still brewed with only the three key ingredients.

American Budweiser is brewed with rice. Not real beer according to the Germans! I also suspect that is the ingredient that gives me the insta-headache.

So in the spirit of the Reinheitsgebot maybe we induce a Canoe Purity Law of three ingredients:

Water, an open canoe, and a single blade paddle! Sounds delicious... Everything else will simply be known as an imitation...

Back