• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Dog Rescue

Reaction score
We couldn’t figure out from where the dog barking noise was coming. There are nearby hiking trails, so on the way upstream we just thought it odd we couldn’t see any person or dog, and jokingly laughed it off as a tree’s bark.
CB6CBE24-69C8-4218-909E-42678B2D21D6.jpeg

when the barking started again as we passed on the way downstream, our curiosity compelled closer investigation. Given the dog’s black and white markings, it was really hard to see her tucked in the shadows of a hollow in the river bank. She was shaking, either from cold or nerves. I’m wary of unfamiliar dogs and was too scared to try and go pull her out.

I phoned the local county animal control. They matched the description of the dog to a report of a lost dog they received earlier that day, and they contacted the owner who arrived at the river about twenty minutes later. He’d been walking her that morning and took her off the leash because she’s always a good dog and doesn’t run away. Then she saw the geese and took off after them. He was very happy to get “his baby” back.

I’m just not a dog person. I almost did nothing about the dog. But, I thought of the posts some of you wrote about your dogs and the heartache that loosing a dog brings on, and I made the call. So, pat yourselves on the back. You saved that dog as much as anybody!

Good work Chip. You're right, although dogs have a canine body language that humans can usually read very often stress can throw all that out the window. Glad you put a happy ending to that dog's day.

My dog, Maggie, a 13 1/2 year old Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier, wandered off for 10 days while at my vacation home in rural Pennsylvania. I canvased owners all around the lake, nobody had seen her. I was beyond devastated. I had contacted the animal welfare agencies in the area, no one had seen her. I was just about sure I had seen the last of my faithful companion. I even installed a game camera to monitor the door.

I was packing up, getting ready to go home, when I got a phone call asking if I had lost a dog. My first question was , "Is she alive?" She was. I hurried to where Maggie was found. I was so overcome with emotion I could hardly speak. I didn't even get the names of the gentlemen who found her.

The vet gave Maggie a clean bill of health the next day, Miracles do happen! Had Maggie not been wearing an ID tag with her name, home address,and my phone number on it, I'm sure I never would have gotten her back.

If you take your pets out in the wilderness, be sure to have an ID attached to their collar.

Back