• Happy International Mermaid Day! 🧜🏼‍♀️

Dog PFD

Reaction score
We want to get our 30 pound Brittany, Libby, a PFD before the start of this season. She loves the water and swims well, but is prone to overconfidence and poor judgement. Last Spring when we stopped to pick fiddleheads on an island in the Winooski River she decided to go for a swim and jumped into very strong current. I happened to see it and called her back immediately. She was able to struggle back to shore, but it was lucky we were on a long island!

Do any of you have a brand or style recommendation that you like?

Rick

We have the Ruffwear Float Coat for our 60-65lb Airedale terrier. Obviously made in various sizes.

https://ruffwear.com/collections/dog-life-jackets

Whatever PFD you end up with, practice getting it on and off your dog on dry land which will help her get accustomed to it. Ours was quite skittish at first. But with enough treats and positive reinforcement, he now practically puts it on himself.

Ruffwear are nice as I recall from years ago. Kong also make a nice one. Marley has a Kong and I seems to be of good design and quality. It fits her well, but she has not been in the water with it

As stated already Ruffwear is top of the line. I have their dog backpack and the quality is excellent. I've heard good things too about the NRS CFD dog life jacket if your looking to spend a little less money.

My previous dog wore the RuffWear and it’s the best out there in my opinion. I put a medium Ruffwear on my puppy yesterday and she went swimming for her first time and it only took 6 seconds before she figured it out. We hiked around the reservoir for two full hours and she didn’t even notice it.

I bought an NRS but I wasn’t impressed and neither was the dog. It’s going to be returned.

Good Luck,
barry

My pooch has been wearing Ruffwear's PFD from the start. She's a 50 lb. border collie/lab mix that loves the water so that's why I wanted her to have a PFD. I really like the strap across the top that allows you to pull the dog back into the boat if they jump out. I've trained mine to stay lying down but you never know when her other instincts will kick in and off she goes. All in all, I really would encourage you to check them out. I don't think you'll be disappointed; nor will your dog.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

Thanks everyone for the thoughtful, helpful recommendations. Much appreciated! After looking over the options, Ruffwear it is!

Back