• Happy Midnight Ride of Paul Revere (1775)! ⛪🕯️🕛🏇🏼

Dog Harness

Reaction score
Hello all,

Need to get a harness for my new-to-me canoe dog.

Found threads on here from 2016 was all, but Ruffwear was mentioned.

Don't need any cargo capacity or PFD capabilities, but if there is a nice component system I would be interested.

Dog is 70lbs.

I see Ruffwear all over and they have great reviews. Almost perfect in fact. Not sure if it's real.

Thank you.

We have Ruffwear harnesses and the Roamer leash (it has a bungee section, and wraps around your waist). Anyway, it’s high quality, nice stuff. Sturdy and well-made. We have the Webmaster harness, which was the best option we could find for something escape-proof. She has slipped out of everything else we ever tried.

Years ago, the clip our first leash from them broke. We took it back to the store, and it was replaced for free, no questions. The newer leashes use a different clip, and we’ve never had any other issues.

Thank you JCH - I see them at 2 local stores, so I'll get that square away pronto.

UP? I lived in Marquette, Negaunee, and Republic. Went to Northern.

Love the UP!

Thank you JCH - I see them at 2 local stores, so I'll get that square away pronto.

UP? I lived in Marquette, Negaunee, and Republic. Went to Northern.

Love the UP!
Calumet(ish) here. Not actually within the sprawling megalopolis- about 5 miles out. Went to Tech! So I guess that makes us rivals 😉

And yes, if you have local stores that carry them, you can see them in person before buying. But I think you’ll like the quality.

Ruffwear is what I have for our dog. Her PFD, hiking harness and hiking panniers all came from Ruffwear. I also picked up a leash and collapsible bowl for her; makes it easier to feed/water her on the trail. While their gear may cost a bit more, it's well made and certainly holds up well over the long haul. Honestly, I don't think you'll go wrong if you purchase anything from Ruffwear.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

Thank you Snapper - looks like the jury is in.

Also, good reminder about the collapsible bowl - I was tasked with getting a new one and I forgot!

New Ruffwear installed on the canoe dog. I think he is enjoying showing it off. REI had maybe the entire line at the store.

Sizing was spot on.

Thanks again!

Pics, please!

My dog actually acts depressed when we put her harness on her, but forgets about it as soon as we leave the house. You’d think it was a torture device at first. I think she’s just a teenager, and doesn’t want to be controlled.

@Keeled Over - Glad you're happy with the items you picked up. I hope you have many years of use with your paddling friend.

@JCH_Ski - Interesting that your dog seems depressed when you put the harness on her. My dog gets really excited whenever I pull out any of her gear. She sits and waits to have it put on her. Then she's raring to go.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

Well, the maiden voyage for Shep the new tripping dog is in the books.

Harness worked great. We were standing on some rocks casting. Chick gets a nice bass on her first cast, and as she releases it the dog wants to follow it straight into the water and goes in head first. Grabbed the harness handle and dragged him back up on the rock.

Soaking wet dog, but I think he might have learned lesson!

I had a Border Collie that pulled me with a choke collar on a mountain bike, so I bought her a harness from a mushing company. She pulled me on xc skiis. On winter trips she pulled a small sled.

Back