• Happy National Audubon Day! 🐣🐦🦅🕊️

Do you wear a PFD?

Do you wear a PFD?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
I like that painting, too, but I always wondered why nobody had a paddle actually in the water, besides the avant (bow paddler).
There is some artistic license in the painting, and critics have commented on the details. Don't take it too literally, it is an artist's painting, not a photo. However, normally with a synchronized crew, everyone does have paddles out of the water at the same time, and in the water at the same time. But, especially in rough water or rapids, the avant will frequently "go independent" from the rest of the crew as he sees fit to provide rapid fine steering control by paddling at his speed, power, and discretion on one side or the other. That's what I do when necessary in those conditions. When performing rapidly changing directions in close "S" turns, paddler #2 will often join me to assist the turns, and we are both independent from the synchronized paddling behind us. Stern paddler also paddles independently as needed for control.

Note: Everyone is wearing a PFD!

Photos courtesy of Harry Kern, Five Finger Rapids, Yukon River Quest 2013.
3uSVuc2.jpg

Last edited:
You said it acer, they only recover bodies without pfd's.

Agreed. Thanks, Red.

Wearing one cuts the odds.

Teenager Stirling Moss was irritated that his parents insisted on a helmet, which at the time, in his words, was "sissy".

I think I read that after parachutes were invented and developed, fighter pilots were slow to adopt them: sort of, you know, outside the code and maybe even the aesthetic.

We learn.

I'm rarely in water as deep as I am tall - I used to always presume I could just stand up to stop myself from drowning; however by my figure - if I'm out of my boat not-on-purpose there's a high chance that I may also be unconscious - which makes standing a little harder.

I'm rarely in water as deep as I am tall - I used to always presume I could just stand up to stop myself from drowning; however by my figure - if I'm out of my boat not-on-purpose there's a high chance that I may also be unconscious - which makes standing a little harder.
If you are like most paddlers, you probably have a Type III PFD. You should know that a Type III is not designed to keep your head face-up if you are unconscious. According to USCG definitions, only a Type I "is designed to turn most unconscious wearers in the water to a face-up position". A Type II "will turn some unconscious wearers to a face-up position".

Last edited:
You said it acer, they only recover bodies without pfd's.

"they " sometimes recover bodies with PFD's too. It won't save you on its own if you get caught on Lake Superior rip current and cannot get to shore. The last body there this past summer had a PFD.

I was glad I wore one when I was caught dismounting in quicksand. I was able to "swim " out of it.

We lost one of two drunk fishermen in the states and an Olympic Sprint kayaker in South America last weekend, none wearing PFDs. The first two were impaired but the last was as fit/skilled/whatever as a paddler can get. What questions could possibly remain?

In 1970 I took canoeing as an elective in college fell in love with the sport, my instructor Bob Benner told us that you should never go in the river without your life vest on, not just laying in the boat, since then I have never been in my canoe without my vest on.

Has anyone used the inflatable types? Either manual or automatic. I have paddled with a person who used one in a sea kayak but was never in a situation to inflate.. They certainly seem much more comfortable.

I have a couple of Stolhquist's and always use one even in shallow water......s*** happens when you least expect it. They fit nice but on hot days and carries it just seems to get in the way. Something light and not bulky might be nice. I really never see other paddlers using them. Thoughts?

Back