• Happy Midnight Ride of Paul Revere (1775)! ⛪🕯️🕛🏇🏼

Do you Fish if so do you fly fish,spin cast bait cast of just use a can with string ?

Reaction score
I have brought my fishing gear yet because its just more stuff to deal with. When I normally fish I fly fish unless with the grandchild then it spin cast. I have a couple trips planned to the Adirondacks this year and I plan to bring fly rod and some flies. Any suggestion on flies to bring and I was thinking of bringing a 5 wt rod I also have a 3 ,6 and a 7 weight. And the can with a string use to see that a lot when growing up as a kid they could cast pretty good with it

No fly fisherman here, died in the wool Jig man. Open face reel, vertical or swimming jigs for walleye is what it is all about for me. Good luck fishing on your trips. I have never been to the Adirondacks, it is on my bucket list. Good luck learning what flies and weight rod to use.

Bob.

I use a spinning rod with a floating Rapala when I'm trolling, maybe a sinking Rapala "Countdown" if it's a deep lake, but I use a jig mostly when on rivers, especially in pools at the bottom of rapids. I used to fish a lot in the ADKs, especially with a spinning reel and floating 9" silver Rapala.

I both spin & fly fish when out on trips. I've got a combo spin/fly set-up that allows me to choose the best method of fishing based on conditions (i.e. heavy winds, lots of cover, etc.). I made a case for the rod out of PVC pipe. I carry the reels, a separate box each of lures & flies, a pair of needle nose pliers and some extra line in a small nylon stuff sack. This small collection of tackle has allowed me to fish in lots of different locations with a minimal amount of fuss.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time....be well.

snapper

PS - As for suggestions as to what sort of lures/flies to use, I'd say that would be based on what you want to fish for. From a fly perspective it wouldn't hurt to bring some streamers and a few floating bugs like a muddler minnow. When it comes to lures, I use Rapalas and a variety of Mepps with #1 & #2 sized blades.

I fly fish... I mean I bring a flared or two and spend time casting not catching... I suck at it, but I like it. I do catch some arctic grayling, but never trouts, I did a few smaller northern pikes, but never trouts... I would love to catch trouts, but I guess I suck at fishing so I keep casting and not catching....

Do we fish? I think " obsessively " pretty much describes it. It's pretty simple so far for me at least...just a spinning reel and some jigs. I have been toying with live bait on our annual trip to Pakwash though and that is fun too. I grew up fishing Lake Erie so big water is no problem for me.

Karin, well, different story. She is the real deal man. Knows her crap that girl. She gets inside the fish's heads. I just want to get the fish inside my stomach.
Most of our fishing is done in more remote spots so technique is not as important as just getting a line in the water. If you cast it they will come. When we head to more heavily fished water then my excellent friend Karin is the secret weapon. She has all sorts of different rods, reels, tackle etc etc.. I have a box of jigs and twisters and one orange dollar store rapala thingy.

Oh yes, she catches...I clean.

Christy

You first asked if we fish. I haven't in 60 years. Never enjoyed it as a kid in Maine, maybe because I spent so many boring hours never catching anything, and have never liked eating fish. So I never do, except tuna salad.

I have a plethora of fishing tools from my days in Southern Ontario fishing professional bass tournaments. Most of that gear collects dust now as there are few places to go for bass in Manitoba, which is why we have started to do a week in NW Ontario at a friends camp so I can unleash the expensive tools. As Christy said, most of our gear is spinning with jigs for pickerel, pike and perch when canoeing. When we go to Pakwash, I bring out the bait casting gear and start chunking spinner baits, top water and other large baits on up to 20 pound test. I can stand on a front deck with the trolling motor and toss baits for hours. I have gopro video of doing that this past September.

Back in 2011 we went into Obukowin lake out here and it is like only 4-6 feet deep in the entire bottom half of the lake. Took me a couple of hours the first night to figure out where the fish were then we were off. Over 60 pickerel in 4 days and we take that "pattern" to every body of water now and some of our older stomping grounds and it works everytime.

So I suppose I would qualify as obsessed. We carry our rods when canoe tripping in a modified soft gun case. Leave em rigged then just pull them out after a portage and we are good to go.

On the Marshall Lake group trip a few years ago, when we all pulled out onto the Kap we kinda fell behind, to the point Mem sent Brad and Miranda back upriver to find us. We were busy pulling in up to 25" pickerel.

Karin

Back in 1974 running the Albany River in Ontario down to the James Bay to Moosenee we fished for extra food everyday. Walleye's and Northern Pike were the majority of fish we caught. The walleye's were sweet but the pike were boney and not as tasty. We had it for breakfast, lunch and dinner for almost 24 days out of 28 days of the trip. Mixed it in with what we had packed for food, mac and cheese as one example. I came off that trip and never picked up a fishing pole since, OK, maybe once. Took me years before I could eat fish again. Most of the fishing on that trip was fly fishing BTW. I used to be fair at it.

No, although I've thought about restarting, although that means a whole new area of spending money on gear. Then if I do gear up and bring it with me with I still have to bring a weeks worth of food in the event I don't catch anything. So I end up with even more gear to carry.

Reading this reminds me of a funny story. My friends in the early 80 decided to do the Allagash. They were wanna be hippies 1st 2nd year of college students . One just read Jack Kerouac's book about how he lived in the wood naked with a knife and survived. So they decided they were just going to live off the land and fish for a week. They brought only flour corn meal and oil or butter for food and borrowed my Coleman canoe .I could not go I had to work and I thought they were crazy. They probably had some recreation stimulants also and beer.
They drive up and do not get there until late at night 2 AM and One of them realizes they have no worms and he says Hay Man we need some worms! so they are driving around looking for worms. They find a place and one of them get out of the van and starts pounding on the door. This guy now had sort of wanna be hippie indian thing going on long hair down his back bandanna and sandals on. The guy comes to the door 3 of my friend are in the van laughing there A$$'s off . The guy comes to the door and say WTF do you want. Friend goes Heyyyy Mannnn you have some woooorrrrms? Needless to say the worm guy was pretty upset but he they got the worms.
They basically did it but were pretty sick of fish end of the week. My canoe came back with a gash along the bottom of the canoe from them dragging it through the woods. The one who ask for the worms actually ended up marrying a indian girl and died rather young of cancers but whenever any one remembers him this story comes up and everyone has a good laugh. [h=1][/h]

No, although I've thought about restarting, although that means a whole new area of spending money on gear. Then if I do gear up and bring it with me with I still have to bring a weeks worth of food in the event I don't catch anything. So I end up with even more gear to carry.

one word, TANKARA fishing rod... You own'T even notice you have it with you!! That is what I carry most of the time....

Over 60 pickerel in 4 days

Haha, well there you go, differences in experience.

I went fishing almost every summer day with my grandfather. Our dream was to catch a bass or pickerel. In TEN YEARS neither of us ever caught a bass and he caught one pickerel. Hours, days, would go by with no strikes on the line, except an occasional sunfish or yellow perch. Most of the fishing we did was trolling with lures or just sitting in one spot with night crawlers on hooks. I never could cast worth a darn. I seemed logical to me that there were no fish in the lake, but he was undaunted. Pop taught me a lot about a lot of things, but I think he was probably a lousy fisherman.

When I was eight, he let me go out alone in the canoe, which he didn't like. So, to me, canoeing was begun as an escape from fishing.

It was harder to escape the dinner table when the repulsive yellow perch, more bone than meat, was served. That boyhood trauma turned me away from fish eating forevermore.

Open spin caster, spoons for Lakers and jigs for walleye, Rapala's or passive fishing while paddling. I also quite like using a pickerel rig when minnows are on the menu.

Hard water I use a tip up. Reminds me, it's time to do some fishing.

I troll with a bait caster all the time and once in awhile do some jigging. Dad always told me you can't catch em if your lines not in the water!

one word, TANKARA fishing rod... You own'T even notice you have it with you!! That is what I carry most of the time....

I picked one of these up a little while back, but haven't had a chance to try it yet. Figure it will be perfect for my little local brook.

Spin fishing and fly fishing. Love to fish and fish every day when in NW Ontario and the Quetico. Fish at least 20 days per year in the Gulf of Mexico and a few days per year in the Okefenokee Swamp and on South Georgia rivers. Fish almost every day when at home. I have a couple of farm ponds that I fly fish in.

I have been a spin fisherman since I was about 2 years old, catching "Calicos" on Chautauqua Lake. I'm 65 now. We have a pond full of bluegills and largemouth that I hit 3-4 times a week, sometimes in a canoe, sometimes from shore. Our niece and nephew just retired and bought a home on the Kalama River in WA. We will be visiting this July so I think fly fishing or tenkara is on the horizon.

Took me a couple of hours the first night to figure out where the fish were then we were off. Over 60 pickerel in 4 days and we take that "pattern" to every body of water now and some of our older stomping grounds and it works everytime.

Karin

Care to elaborate on what that pattern is exactly?

Sure but you will have to wait until the weekend when I have to time and dig out some photos of the wheres for whys.

Back