• Happy Birthday, William Shakespeare (1564-1616)! 2️⃣🅱️, 🚫2️⃣🅱️

DIY Vehicle tie down straps

Reaction score
I attach permanent tie down straps to my vehicles for securing the bow and stern of my canoe when transporting on the roof. I can usually locate an existing bolt that is appropriately positioned but will add a bolt if necessary. The straps can be tucked out of sight when not in use.

Example of strap that I attached to the fender bolt on the front of my Honda CRV :

Attachments

• 118_8126.JPG
    118_8126.JPG
    136.6 KB · Views: 40
  • 118_8119.JPG
    118_8119.JPG
    182.7 KB · Views: 38
  • 118_8125.JPG
    118_8125.JPG
    118.9 KB · Views: 41
  • 118_8121.JPG
    118_8121.JPG
    210.7 KB · Views: 43
I used to teach an "Engineering Design & Development" class. I had a group of students develop a universal tie down that would work on any vehicle. Simply open the door, hood, trunk, etc. and close it in. Gave you a loop to tie off to. I encouraged them to pursue a patent or sell their idea to an outdoor gear company. They didn't do either. I'm going to look for the design at home. If I can't find it, I can recreate it. When I do, I'll post a pic. Very simple to make.

I’ve put the webbing loops under the hood of all my vehicles. It’s a great idea. In a pinch we take a short loop of rope and tie the ends in a knot and shut it in the hood, door, trunk lid, tailgate etc. I think this is the same as Kliff describes. I’m not an engineer or a lawyer but I doubt you could patent it.

Mark

I’ve used the loops with the tube many times, work great on any vehicle. I recommend the larger rubber tubes and not the hard plastic tubes, I’ve had the slip out on me. Could’ve been user error, but I’m not buying it.

I have some older ratchet straps that found a second life as a DIY version of what @billconner posted, just with a massive knot instead of the tube.

Even with the pictured tubes, I'd be afraid they would warp my hood. I tie down my boats pretty snugly.

Otherwise, I just use ratchet straps over the hood, and truckers' hitches at the front and rear.

Even with the pictured tubes, I'd be afraid they would warp my hood.

Put the loop tubes as far as you can near the hood's hinge—even closer to the windshield than I show here, if you can—not near the front of the hood. This will put the rope force on the tubes at the strongest place on the hood.

Strap loops on hood.jpg

In addition, back-slanted V front ropes are better than front-slanted V's. A back-slanted V will not only prevent side-to-side movement of the canoe's nose just as a front-slanted V will, but it will also prevent forward sliding of the canoe under hard or panic braking. Ideally, back and front V roping on a vehicle should be like this: \ /, not like this: / \. The front ropes should pull to the back, and the back ropes should pull to the front. That way, the canoe can't shift forward or backward. As Rolf Kraiker shows in this video:

are there any builder building condos or apartments in the area? they usually attach safety lanyards to the walls of units above about 20' for safety harnesses, those lanyards generally get sliced off after the windows are installed to get them out of the way of framers/ drywallers, and are about 2 1/2-3" wide and about a foot or more in length with a large D-ring on one end. you can usually ask for the cut off ones because once they're cut, they can't be used again. you simply scrub them clean and melt a hole in the cut end to fit on the fender bolt.
Last time I asked, the foreman said "come back tomorrow", next day he gave me a 5 gallon pail full and I gifted him a 12 of beer...

You may not have to rely on a bolt or buy a looseable gadget. If there are any holes in the struts holding up the fender, you can thread a piece of webbing (I use 9/16" climbing webbing) and knot it. It'll be stronger than any bolt, doesn't stress the hood, and you'll never misplace it. My Tacoma has several holes, and I added a couple of loops depending on where I want the bow.

Last edited:
2018 Outback Touring. On the wheel wells in mine, there is a fiber material hard covering. It can be lifted and there is a bolt under that just perfectly located IMHO. When not used, the loop tucks under that hard covering. I'll try to snap a picture today.

Bill those tube straps look very similar to what my students developed years ago. At the time, there wasn't anything like them on the market (unless they hid these from me, which is always possible). I didn't think much of them, until they did the testing. They could withstand incredible forces, without any damage to the vehicle. They tested them in doors, trunks, hatch backs, hoods, basically anything that opens & closes on a car.

I still can't find their project documentation, but their testing was impressive.

What are those called? I might get a few just to have on hand. my Jeep does have good tie down points.

Bill those tube straps look very similar to what my students developed years ago. At the time, there wasn't anything like them on the market (unless they hid these from me, which is always possible). I didn't think much of them, until they did the testing. They could withstand incredible forces, without any damage to the vehicle. They tested them in doors, trunks, hatch backs, hoods, basically anything that opens & closes on a car.

I still can't find their project documentation, but their testing was impressive.

What are those called? I might get a few just to have on hand. my Jeep does have good tie down points.
I goggled "canoe hood straps" and found a lot. think I read of diy with 1/2" PVC pipe and nylon webbing. Have seen them molded with strap and a "ball" - all one piece.

Back