• Happy 1st Showing of a Color Photograph (1861)! 📷🎥🏳️‍🌈

DIY roof rack for factory rails

Reaction score
70"+ roof racks are hard to find - and are quite pricey. Thought I'd share my little weekend project in case anyone else is looking for an inexpensive method to make some sturdy steel bars for multiple canoes. I picked up all the supplies at my local Menards. I topped them with rubber weather seal strips to protect and grip the canoes, and to avoid damaging the car's roof rails. I'll let you know how they work out -- on previous posts I see some folks used pool noodles and pipe insulation to achieve the effect I'm going for. Hope this works!

Attachments

• photo6749.JPG
    photo6749.JPG
    545.9 KB · Views: 1
  • photo6748.JPG
    photo6748.JPG
    519.3 KB · Views: 1
I've done pretty much the same thing with square u-bolts and 2x4's, short for one boat and a longer pair for 2 boats. I also put eye bolts, a pair each rail for one boat, 3 per rail, one in the middle for 2. Keeps them on the rails, no side to side movement. Mind you I use ratchet straps so they don't move much regardless. The wood is wrapped with indoor/outdoor carpet stapled on.

Karin

Well done! You shouldn't have any problems with that set up. Have you decided on what to cap the ends with to get rid of the whistle?

Jason

Thanks! Good call on the carpet Karin. Can't go wrong there. I didn't even consider the whistling, maybe just some tape? What have you used Jason? Grandpa Paddler - how'd you get 3 canoes on there? I have 3 but have always been worried about how to secure the last one on top.

Didn't cap the ends and don't have whistling. I did put pipe insulation on the bars and maybe that muffles the whistling.
The 3rd canoe is on top of 2x4's laid across the the bottom 2, both bottom canoes are individually strapped the the cross bars. Straps on the top canoe are feed down between the bottom canoes and secured around the cross bar. Then 18' straps over all three. The top canoe gets bow and stern tie downs to the front and rear on the vehicles. Make sense?
For the last 3 yrs I've been borrowing a friends 6up canoe trailer if I need more than 2 canoes. Easier than securing 3 boats to one vehicle. Maybe I should just build a trailer.

Many (many, many) years ago we hauled 3 Grummans from western PA to Algonquin on top of a '65 Ford stationwagon using only bailing twine (lots of it). Oh, the days of youth:eek:!

Haha I'm sure you scared the crap out of anyone tailing you! I'll have to give that 3 canoe method a try, though I worry about unsecured 2x4s flying out unless it's strapped down really tight. Maybe some thick foam or something around the ends too as I nearly whacked my head on it stepping out of the car. I've had enough black eyes smacking my face on overhanging canoe tails in the dark.

After the plastic caps on my Yakima bars get banged up and fall off I have had great luck with the rubber push on chair tips. But I don't know what I would use for square stock.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005CH4T3U...987&th=1&psc=1

I prefer white over the black for visibility as my bars hang over quite a bit .

They do make rubber glides for square legs. I don't know what size square stock you used but I see that your foam tape is 15mm, are you using 1" stock? I think Amazon would have something to fit.

https://www.amazon.com/uxcell-Square-Rubber-Furniture-Protectors/dp/B00880SCJ0

Last edited:
Nice, that's a good idea! It is 1" on the outside but 7/8" on the inside. I'll poke around online and see if I can find that size. That one would cover it on the outside, though... It would probably help with rust buildup leaking out the ends too.

Last edited:
I push them on over the bars. So far they have outlasted the original Yakima plugs! It's been a few years and they are beginning to crack a bit. At roughly $1 each it's worth it!

Jason

Back