• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

DIY Projects and Disposable gloves?

Reaction score
The Hereford Zone along the Mason-Dixon Line
Doing DIY work with epoxy, varnish, urethane work or etc I wear disposable gloves. Thirty some years in and around medical research labs left me a confirmed devotee of Purple Nitriles, for the fit and tactile feel and even resistance to most solvents.

Being retired, and unable to occasionally “liberate” a box of Nitrile gloves from work, has forced me to buy my own. Didn’t get a gold watch, should have asked for a case of Purple Nitriles, size large. Had I asked any investigator or lab manager I worked with they would have carried them to my truck for me. That may be my only retiree regret.

But, even presented with a case load, I’d still be stuck buying them by now. Amazon tells me I bought a 100 pack in September 2021, and I’ve been augmented those with cheapie disposables. Between boats and DIY projects, household repairs and wild ideas epoxy, paint, and urethane work is a shop constant, and I go through disposable gloves. And leather work gloves, but that is another story.

Cheap Nitriles work OK.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GS8VGP6?ref=nb_sb_ss_w_as-ypp-ro-model_ypp_ro_model_k0_1_8&amp&crid=38J9YHM0C6EEY&amp&sprefix=nitrile+

Like everything else, even “cheap” Nitriles have gotten pricey (or at least pricier than free), now up to $15 a hundred count. That’s fifteen cents a hand. I’m, uh, frugal, so sometimes I’ll wear only one. And usually regret it.

Or, if I’m running low, like now, risk wearing none at all for tiny batch/tiny brush epoxy fixes. I’m batting .500 lifetime at managing that challenge without getting some epoxy on my fingers; Hall of Fame numbers in Cooperstown, not so good in the shop. Actually, over the last couple largely ungloved days of teeny tiny epoxy work I’m under the Mendoza Line.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mendoza_Line

For clumsier work, pulling wet tape from epoxy or paint jobs or doing brush, pan, roller clean up (or the last couple days) I’ll wear cheaper vinyl food-service type gloves (not the ultra-cheapies). Even those are $9 per hundred, and I tear every other one trying to pull them on; always the second glove, torn at the wrist. And I’m out.

BTW, do not use acetone to clean up while wearing thin vinyl gloves, it is a near-instant vanishing act.

OK, rant over. I’m going to need a fresh box of Nitriles soon, and have been out of cheap food-service gloves for a month. Without a cheapie alternative my wallet hurts when I spend 30 cents to glove up for some cruder work or 30-second job wearing Nitriles, instead of 18 cents (still, 18 cents!) to don a pair of cheapies.

What do folks use for disposable gloves? Brand, quantity, availability, quantity and pricing?

Repressed early memories say “Not Playtex reusable dishwashing gloves”. Those are Not reusable when invariably pulled off inside-out with epoxy or varnish on the fingertips. Great, now I need a disposable glove to reach in and turn my gloves right-side out, before the fingers are forever stuck together.

Costco!
I also have a box of super heavy duty mechanics nitrile gloves that are great to wear over liner gloves while assembling the titanium stove pipe on the winter tent. They are tough enough to stand several uses.

Costco!
I also have a box of super heavy duty mechanics nitrile gloves that are great to wear over liner gloves while assembling the titanium stove pipe on the winter tent. They are tough enough to stand several uses.
I have the same, unlike many of the "surgical gloves, the nitrile mechanics ones are tough and don't split between the fingers after one use

I use Raven gloves. Work buys them and I take a box home when needed.

The only way to get them cheap is to buy them from this Amazon link:

They lie in the description. They'll only send you one box of gloves (rather than the 4 they claim). But if you contact Amazon and complain they'll send you another box. If you contact Amazon and complain again they'll send you another box. And, finally, if you contact Amazon and complain again you'll get your last box.

For being such a large company I'm always surprised how easy it is to actually deal with Amazon. Their online helper bot helped me the first time in only a couple minutes. After that I wanted to talk to real people and they were on the phone quickly and dealt with the problem professionally. But still a pain.

Alan

I usually buy gloves from Harbor freight., mainly because they are a few miles down the road from me.
Their "cheap" gloves come in 5,7, or 9 mil thickness, prices are $15/box of 100 for 5 mil, and jumps to $21/box of 50 for the 9 mil.

I say cheap because they also have a line of heavy duty, reinforced nitrile gloves at much higher prices.

I have questions about reusable Nitriles or other multi-use gloves. Do they come off right side out when you remove them?

Even if so, how do you keep the right side out fingers from becoming stuck together, or to where you set them, after using epoxy or anything sticky (varnish, urethane, adhesives, etc)?

I have questions about reusable Nitriles or other multi-use gloves. Do they come off right side out when you remove them?

Even if so, how do you keep the right side out fingers from becoming stuck together, or to where you set them, after using epoxy or anything sticky (varnish, urethane, adhesives, etc)?
I tend to buy them oversize so it is a bit easier. Helps if you can get them down far enough to release your thumbs and then it’s much easier to keep right side out. I’ve used the same stuff I’d used to clean goop from my hands to clean up before removing the gloves and this helps with re-use. Hanging them up with a clothes peg is good though I’ve wondered about finding a way to inflate them and keep them that way.

Back