• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

DIY Canvas Baker Tent

Very nice! I didn't realize there were six photos in your first post, I'm glad I clicked the link.

That looks like it works well for you.

I'll say it again - lot's of talented folks on this site.

I understand they are different in American English... just didn't know if it was possible to make silicone sealer from turpentine... i actually prefer it as a solvent (smells way nicer, being pine- vs petroleum- based.) I do know that it takes a LONG time to dissolve a tube of silicone in mineral spirits... about 15-20 minutes of stirring is involved.

Turtle mentioned Canvak. I have never used it but seen it around lots of canvas tent builders sites. Some people must have had chemistry sets as kids as the allure of mixing concoctions is very strong.

I liked the comment about canvas shrinking once it is wet and closing up the warp. You can do that at home with a hose or just wait for a good rain storm in the field.

What is the official language of the US? "Eighth- grade English."

Nice work on the Tarptent. Was that before or after the Baker tent?

Robin, do you think maybe your tent is too taut? An old book suggests that canvas must be given room to shrink when wet, otherwise it becomes less water-resistant. To quote:
. . . buy a yard; and, when thoroughly dry, secure it to the boards prepared, using ordinary tacks, about 5/8-inch long, spaced one inch apart; stretch the cloth as much as possible so that it will be tight and flat. Wet it thoroughly and observe that wetting has a tendency to shrink it; but, as it cannot shrink because it securely nailed to the board, each thread is drawn very tight and made smaller. A close examination will show that the spaces between the threads are increased and that water runs through as through a sieve. . .

You might increase your tent's water resistance by shortening your ridge and roof poles by an inch or so each to give it some shrink room.

Maybe.

or maybe not.

No Title

Hi Seuss,

The tarptent was my first tent build (choose it as I could get the plans from the website, and then added the floor) it was followed by a silnylon baker styled build and then the canvas was the latest..

Below is the silnylon baker

Attachments

• photo1008.jpg
    photo1008.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 1
  • photo1009.jpg
    photo1009.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 1
  • photo1010.jpg
    photo1010.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 1
Lep,
You are a talented tent builder. I have a similar tent made of nylon that comes from Portland, OR. It weighs less than 4 pounds and is suitable for canoeing or backpacking. The front is open and perfect for use with a fire even in winter. I notice your tent is shown with a fire, but it is way too far away to warm the tent. Is the weather warm or are you protecting your tent?

Lep,
You are a talented tent builder. I have a similar tent made of nylon that comes from Portland, OR. It weighs less than 4 pounds and is suitable for canoeing or backpacking. The front is open and perfect for use with a fire even in winter. I notice your tent is shown with a fire, but it is way too far away to warm the tent. Is the weather warm or are you protecting your tent?

Thanks ppine, i hadn't sewn until a few months ago so I'm still just making it up as i go. Didn't need to be close to the fire that night it was only around 0'c and i had a sleeping bag i wanted to test.

awesome looking shelter -- i keep leaning towards bakers but haven't made the leap yet...

I can say from personal experience primitive camping, that turpentine/beeswax/linseed oil waterproofing makes canvas VERY flammable. I again suggest either Sunforger fabric to begin with or Canvak as a treatment for non-waterproof canvas. I canvak waterproofed a percale cotton bedsheet as a lite tarp and it doesn't leak a drop.
Turtle

I can say from personal experience primitive camping, that turpentine/beeswax/linseed oil waterproofing makes canvas VERY flammable. I again suggest either Sunforger fabric to begin with or Canvak as a treatment for non-waterproof canvas. I canvak waterproofed a percale cotton bedsheet as a lite tarp and it doesn't leak a drop.
Turtle

Agree - I have used the turpentine/beeswax/linseed oil mix to waterproof a canvas kit bag and it just smells like its ready to burst into flames :)

Back