• Happy National No Socks Day! 🧦🚫👣

Describe your seasons and climate

Windchill is a valuable measurement in the wilderness. Important when you have limited resources and no shelter available. Its a measure how fast the body can lose heat and get frostbite
Meaningless in areas where you can get help fast or go indoors.. Of real concern in the mountain areas here. We lose people every year hiking in mildly cold conditions because they got lost and succumbed to hypothermia and frost bite. Winds are often hurricane force in the mountains. It has nothing to do with being a wuss..
Here is some reading.
http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-21744543

Convection matters. I am sure Mems machine has a windshield.

657BxU7.jpg

Oh c'mon YC. Canada's second national sport is having fun comparing weather. Just having fun.

Mem, take a thermometer next run on the sled.

Red you just reminded me, I used to work with a mechanic at the boatyard here on Long Island and he would winterize the engines to -50

-50 this morning in Watson lake and that is real temp, none of that windchill bogus... And they are 5hrs south of us!!!!!!!

Show off. ;)

Nah, the coldest it got here was -39ish and now the wind changed and the temps are climbing by 5 degrees jumps, it is already -25 now and supposed to be -20 by tomorrow, and possibly all the way up to -5 by wednesday that will be good cause the wood pile is going down quick and I will be able to resume work on the shop...

-50 this morning in Watson lake and that is real temp, none of that windchill bogus... And they are 5hrs south of us!!!!!!!
I drove through and stayed a night in Watson Lake last June on my way to Whitehorse and the YRQ canoe race. Much nicer conditions then as I toured the road sign forest in town. I have -33F here this morning on the edge of the Adirondacks of NY State.

Here in Colorado winters are made up of all 4-seasons - we generally have 20 or 30 days between November and March of sunshine and 70 degree days and blizzards in between. Late winter and early spring bring the most snow to the high country - it is how the Rockies fill with snow to provide Arizona and California with water to drink, to keep the grass green, and to put the fires out; oh yea . . . and avalanches and world class skiing. Late spring is when it is safe to enter the back country as the snow is relatively safe by mid-March. Summer can include snow storms and/or 100 degree temperature - sometimes within 24 hours of one another. the two weeks of fall is gorgeous - the snow generally comes before the leaves are off the trees. We have a saying here that there is no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothes.

Canoing generally lasts from mid April through Late November.

I drove through and stayed a night in Watson Lake last June on my way to Whitehorse and the YRQ canoe race. Much nicer conditions then as I toured the road sign forest in town. I have -33F here this morning on the edge of the Adirondacks of NY State.

Didn't see your signature! We were there too and the staff in the Visitor Center were very helpful and said we could paint our own sign ; they had wood. We ate a nice lunch at a burger joint and when the tour bus with 44 people with tourist gear and Ten Gallon Hats ( the tour was full of Texans) we were glad our order was in.. People that work those places are saints.

Didn't see your signature! We were there too and the staff in the Visitor Center were very helpful and said we could paint our own sign ; they had wood. We ate a nice lunch at a burger joint and when the tour bus with 44 people with tourist gear and Ten Gallon Hats ( the tour was full of Texans) we were glad our order was in.. People that work those places are saints.

Yeah the sign forest, I ut up a sign there 21 years ago... and could never find it again.... I heard they (people) take some down to put theres up!! Anyway, We drive there quiet frequently...We were supposed to be at the Liard Hot Springs(about 2 hrs south of Watson, to go camping in between Xmas and the new year, but with that weather we decided to stick around town!!

We haven't had the double digit minus temps here but it is a lot colder then our typical New England Winter. I am not complaining in the least, I don't have to go out in it and the wood pile and pellets supply is more then we will use this winter.
I'm getting a lot of workshop time and who knows I might even get back to work on my W/C Prescott Canoe, as soon as I clean all the stuff out of it.

Winter in St Joseph is similar to what Turtle describes with highly localized lake effect snow - which has clobbered us every time so far this year. I remember when we first moved here and heard a weather forecast predicting between 1 and 25 inches. Incredible. Then we got less than an inch, but there was more than 25 inches just 15 miles away.

Temperature today is just about 20 degrees warmer than it has been for what seems like a month. -15C is still cold but the way folks around here are reacting it may as well be that first warm day of spring.

As far as seasons go, here there are 4 distinct seasons. When I lived in Southern Ontario the seasons could change daily, but not so much here. When it's summer it's summer. We do get really warm days but they are average between 18 to 25C. Spring is spring, things melt, warm snow falls and spring showers, and very typical spring weather. Temps range from -5 to 15C, Winter is full on winter, When the snow comes it comes and stays. Never a big mid winter melt off. I've often said that the flakes that fell in November are still here come March. Temps do not rise above freezing from November to the end of March. Usually get some long deep freezes of temps going down to -30's and as has been the case for the last week not rising above -30 for days upon end. Winter temps are usually -15 to -30C. Fall is also very typical, temps cool off, nights will often dip below freezing with nice and comfy temperatures near 10C during the day. Fall seems to be the windy time of year blowing the leaves off the Poplar and Birch as they yellow. You may get a dusting of snow but it doesn't last long. The seasons come and it is almost as if the change is a hard change. No slow transition. One day it's warm and summery and the the next it's fall, never to return to those summery conditions until spring has decided it's done and wants to move on. As is the case with weather there are always exceptions. But from my experience there is a very different take on seasons here compared to Southern Ontario.

OK, Sweeper, that;s a scream....

It will finally get up in the 20s-30s this Sunday, so off to fill out the freezer with another whitetail doe and one for the neighbors. Sitting a deer stand and field dressing in single to negative digits is just plain uncivilized.

Soups on bread is rising
Smother first.
Then dip into the freezer
im more concerned about wind than 16 in snow

I packed in some more wood for the fireplace and made sure the generator was working. I may be 65 but I still get excited about a blizzard. I can't help myself. I grew up in NJ and don't know if this take place elsewhere but I do remember my mom worried about bread and milk when a storm is on the way.
Anybody else have storm idiosyncratic habits?

https://youtu.be/i6zaVYWLTkU

enjoy.
Jim

Back