• Happy Incorporation of Hudson's Bay Co. (1670) 🍁🦫🪓

Describe your seasons and climate

Wood's in, resupplied the beer inventory, double pan of lasagna made. I'm not too concerned about the generator, I'm the Emergency Manager Director for our town and my wife is a Selectman. If the power goes out we will most likely be at the Emergency Operation Center at the fire station or the town offices directing recovery operations.

-33 F on the mt where I work yesterday ( 2 mi from Mt. Washington). Took an extra hour to get the lifts spinning. Heat wave today and snow tomorrow.
Dave

657BxU7.jpg

I'm pretty sure that is a black racer, if that is Florida. Harmless to people. Eats rats, eggs, small mammals and frog.

It is cold here in Florida too. Last night was 32 degrees and I had to cover the tomatoes. :D

Erica

We call this lake effect snow. We also get lake enhanced snow and regular snow too. image.jpeg

Gumpus,
Your deck photo could pass for my deck.

Well GP, it's definitely beautiful, and the hushed silence outside is an awesome thing to experience, but we are starting to seriously consider moving somewhere warmer where paddling and biking are available year round.

Ain't the human mind amazing. No matter where any of us live, our subjective minds can somehow rationalize that the climate where we live is great.

I propose an objective test: The only ideal climate is one where human life could have evolved. Stated another way: If you can't survive naked outside all year long, you don't live in the ideal climate.

My six year old granddaughter in northern Florida experienced her first snowfall yesterday.

fXQbwvlo3-ClcfF7L-fvFfZ0YjpFPZZwfQhzh6zlVsCyKMV48rEyLWWigedlEdshtQ06QSd7nLymsuQaV6HwyjWGi5QQCKPqH0Irbj9FRO4OsgUsBBDGF1TKzCSqKMa14MVXlRKYSnuB8vHGdQLtCMyTASKWkqEmhNxWxRro0PDDnYM76M6g4i66XVkhHcpYDNkPqpLbuQJ_GIXc5IgzoSAAkxRk5PEmg3FyLYNlIrRQ1zVjSHjdiHYKl-qT6qQnqj46cDJY_71FYsKOqsJjS5TBd6-S831yL1lfzfajOYqepFZ4eyyoHbmjGh5u9XWcvc6Knk43Vut4oL-Mnqt1gvunXYq3K0VmkPuzt4KTeD0DhmmZliWRV01QNdgN2DFeHQ_r_Yo-_BodRBShR6PqU7GAgKkJ1aX7KjPROTMcYXheZkuH9JiSaHSvAXRpTtdLy0YlQ3R6Z67MiK40hZySKTHwQflsfUp1pABslsaHsa54c-DZd_LQ5STHYErGNzx-RwpB33wXtq7isdi6IYtpzevN91gC_vla26AagW2XOf-jN6MO2qIRpJnjZhrLPbqE4zwFpvpTPR6o0-YWzGGOWfvt_NNs4Z7zZOMG2vjfN_msxsZPRwCYv5BPYcC9KI9y=w480-h640-no

Last edited:
It's toasty out there this morning, think I'll try Glenn's challenge and run around naked, see how long I last, or win the award for smallest penis in the world.
rhgHmOa.png

Not sure I want to do, or watch, that but since it is finally 2*F I think I'll take the dog out, have lunch and then go ski for a couple hours (it's close).:cool:

Warm. 11. Moving snow. Somehow chopping wood is more rewarding
snoe warms you once. Not thrice.
Im
not testing Glenn

I was up at my northern MN cabin last week. It had been a mild early winter back home. Seemed harsh at the cabin but a few days and I was enjoying my evening tea outside at -17F. Heavy wool clothes and a proper attitude help to make it fun.

This is what greeted me at my cabin in Lake Effect country east of Lake Ontario a couple of days ago. Three hours later I had cleared off most of the fluffy stuff, but as darkness approached, a heavy hard pack remained to be left for removal on another day. In most years it takes me 45 minutes to completely clear the roof, needing to be done about 3 times during the season.

oU0ZCGm.jpg

Last edited:
Here in New England we are currently in our typical New England winter, which is followed by our typical New England Spring, then our typical New England Summer, and finally our typical New England Fall. Having said that there has never been anything typical about our typical New England weather. We have come off a couple of winters of almost no shoveling, springs with no warm weather into almost June, dry summers, wet summers and Falls with no killing frosts well into Nov.
But in the end it doesn't really matter, I'm retired and have a very long "To do list" I just adjust it based on the weather. I've been in the basement with the pellet stove tuning hand planes for the last week.

New England isn't that big but nowhere is typical.
Last year was snowy. I am in New England too. But not as snowy as New England farther east. We got about 120 inches.. 71 in one week, Our neighbors were all wore out from shoveling. ( now they have a snowblower) But what about 2015 when the bluejackets were running around Boston and the T didn't work right for weeks?oops that was three years ago.

The year before poor Aroostook County got 190 inches of snow.. We got somewhat less.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-s-cities-this-winter/?utm_term=.dadf3f51f28d

again 120 inches. Were in a little bulleyes pocket 10 milesNW of Gray ME

So which is it Sweeper? Early dementia or New England untypicality? Or basement mode?

With retirement all the winters blur together but I can't remember one here with virtually no snow.. This one is supposed to be frontloaded..ie most in Dec and Jan.

All I know enough is enough.. I am getting to tired to Shovel and Dump UP..

Back