• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Debsconeag Lakes Wilderness Area Canoe Loop

Reaction score
Returned September 20th from a 4 day, 3 night back country canoe trip through the Debsconeag Lakes Wilderness Area. Completed the Debs Lake Loop from Grant Brook Road Bridge, West Branch Penobscot, Ambejejus Lake, Pemadumcook Lake, Third Debsconeag Lake, Second Debsconeag Lake, First Debsconeag Lake, Debsconeag Deadwater, returning down the Penobscot West Branch back to Grant Brook Road Bridge! The trip involves 4 carries some more challenging then others but they are true tests. I have captured this trip in video and the link below is the first part of a two part series showing what I have been up to. Check it out if you are interested.

https://youtu.be/O2FCQjFQKNU

Another great video Dave! I particularly enjoy the campsite portions of your videos. You are giving me a list of destinations in Maine to hit after I retire. Thanks so much for posting. Keep them coming!

Another great video Dave! I particularly enjoy the campsite portions of your videos. You are giving me a list of destinations in Maine to hit after I retire. Thanks so much for posting. Keep them coming!

TrailBlaser, here is a decent link to reference for your planning purposes if you should ever decide to paddle this loop. In the description it states that the trails are not prominently marked. Although I can attest to this from the last time I did the loop, the Nature Conservancy has done brilliant work by placing highly visible portage signs at all trail heads. It should also be noted that all campsites have been clearly marked which was not the case just one year earlier. The signs were not wooden signs but rather a plastic type of material that should be forever lasting. Anyway here is the link: https://www.mainetrailfinder.com/tra...-paddling-trip Thanks for watching the video!

I really enjoyed it Dave !
Always great to see a canoe in action, by the builder.
Funny how we cook different camping, than we do at home ! At least I do !
Thanks for sharing your video ! Well done !

Jim

Very nice. I've been hesitant to use a cart like yours. I have a 15 lb. Canadian Boat Walker with 16" spoked wheels. Yours probably weighs 8 or 9 maybe? Anyway, great video!

The cart that I used is approximately 7-8lbs. Wish I still had it. It became a lost item on this last trip. I bumped into a couple from Washington State on my way out of Second Debsconeag when I realized I didn’t have it. I told them they could have it if they found it. Sometimes we make mistakes. Thanks for watching....appreciate it!

TrailBlaser, here is a decent link to reference for your planning purposes if you should ever decide to paddle this loop. In the description it states that the trails are not prominently marked. Although I can attest to this from the last time I did the loop, the Nature Conservancy has done brilliant work by placing highly visible portage signs at all trail heads. It should also be noted that all campsites have been clearly marked which was not the case just one year earlier. The signs were not wooden signs but rather a plastic type of material that should be forever lasting. Anyway here is the link: https://www.mainetrailfinder.com/tra...-paddling-trip Thanks for watching the video!

Thanks very much Dave, much appreciated!

I really enjoyed it Dave !
Always great to see a canoe in action, by the builder.
Funny how we cook different camping, than we do at home ! At least I do !
Thanks for sharing your video ! Well done !

Jim

The canoe "Wabnaki" I figure has already logged over 250+ miles this season. Thrilled to have paddled a handbuilt craft. It is special as all of you know.

Hi Dave, I just returned from another short trip to the North Maine Woods and just quickly sat down to check out you video. I will watch it tonight, but from the few minutes I watched your camera work and editing are really good, nice job.

Nice job Dave, I'm looking forward to the next installment! What a joy it must be traveling in a canoe you made. Thanks for the loop information; I have marked and saved it in Google Earth for future reference. Katahdin makes a great backdrop for your first nights camp!

I don't know why I never thought to try lichen as a firestarter. I will now. Thanks for taking us along.

Nice job Dave, I'm looking forward to the next installment! What a joy it must be traveling in a canoe you made. Thanks for the loop information; I have marked and saved it in Google Earth for future reference. Katahdin makes a great backdrop for your first nights camp!

Katahdin serves as a backdrop on mutiple occasions on this trip but disappears during the trip as well. Such a beautiful mountain. Thank you for following along. Give the trip a shot! It is a nice trip!

I don't know why I never thought to try lichen as a firestarter. I will now. Thanks for taking us along.

Lichen goes up quick and serves as a great firestarter. I learned that from my Dad a long time ago. Something I never forgot. Thanks for watching and I am happy to share!

Great stuff! My wife and I love the Debsconeags. This is the first year in a few that we have not been in there at all, so your video was much appreciated.

I just got back from a trip to the Jo-Mary's (https://www.canoetripping.net/forum...ary-lakes-maine-october-2020-solo-trip-report), and I was thinking this would provide an opportunity to extend the Debsconeag loop to include Middle and Lower Jo-Mary. One would likely carry from Lower to Pemadumcook near White Horse Island.

Bob Mills also shared this potential trip by connecting the Jo-Mary’s but I have yet to explore that option. Parking has always concerned me with the Turkey Tail put-in but clearly after reading your trip report there appears to be ample space. I hope to explore this route.

Bob Mills also shared this potential trip by connecting the Jo-Mary’s but I have yet to explore that option. Parking has always concerned me with the Turkey Tail put-in but clearly after reading your trip report there appears to be ample space. I hope to explore this route.

Yes. I think Bob suggested Lower Jo-Mary Stream that passes into Pemadumcook by White Horse Island was not passable. It is only about 500 feet though. I should have gone and taken a look at it at low water levels.

Back