• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Debsconeag Lakes Wilderness Area Canoe Loop

Bob Mills also shared this potential trip by connecting the Jo-Mary’s but I have yet to explore that option. Parking has always concerned me with the Turkey Tail put-in but clearly after reading your trip report there appears to be ample space. I hope to explore this route.

I did a little more digging, dcloots . As I explain at around 27:30 in this video, people would routinely make the trip from Pemadumcook to Lower Jo-Mary in the early 20th century. Cool, eh?

Your video production was exceptional. Very informative and the sights were absolutely stunning and beautiful which is customary with that region. Low water in Northern Maine was clearly depicted by the “Chute” being so dry! I thoroughly enjoyed this video and your voice overs and video capture were very well done. It is a testament to your knowledge and study of the area. I latched onto your pronunciation of “Deb-scon-egg” as different than how I pronounce it “Deb-Scon-eeeg” so hopefully I have learned the proper pronunciation of that particular lakes region. This has piqued my interest in potentially one more run up North this year. My oldest daughter may tag along prior to her departure to Florida for a month and a half. This route seems like a nice quiet paddle “if” the wind gods behave! Thank you for sharing your adventure!

Your video production was exceptional. Very informative and the sights were absolutely stunning and beautiful which is customary with that region. Low water in Northern Maine was clearly depicted by the “Chute” being so dry! I thoroughly enjoyed this video and your voice overs and video capture were very well done. It is a testament to your knowledge and study of the area. I latched onto your pronunciation of “Deb-scon-egg” as different than how I pronounce it “Deb-Scon-eeeg” so hopefully I have learned the proper pronunciation of that particular lakes region. This has piqued my interest in potentially one more run up North this year. My oldest daughter may tag along prior to her departure to Florida for a month and a half. This route seems like a nice quiet paddle “if” the wind gods behave! Thank you for sharing your adventure!

Thanks so much, dcloots ! I sure have enjoyed your videos. I'm not not sure on my pronunciation of Debsconeag...lol. We've spent quite a bit of time on first and second, and I fear we've fallen into saying it one way that may be wrong.

If you have time, do try the Jo-Marys. They make for a great trip that feels way more remote than it is, and you never have to be that exposed. If you go, let me know!

I did a little more digging, dcloots . As I explain at around 27:30 in this video, people would routinely make the trip from Pemadumcook to Lower Jo-Mary in the early 20th century. Cool, eh?

Great vid! Laughed at the wind dying down when you finished your difficult crossing. It reminded me of my on Allagash Lake trip in September. Please post those recipes (Gotto Gotto? and RIng of Sunshine)!

Watched both of your very well produced videos and, not having been able to trip for a few years, was suffused with envy. Great job.

Too bad you lost your cart and sunglasses. I've always attached my sunglasses with an adjustable Croakies strap and let them dangle around my neck when not in use so as not to drop them.

I've been thinking for a couple of years about getting a wood/canvas canoe, but whenever I watch videos that include necessary lining or dragging over sharp granite and other rocks or up steep embankments, I remain committed to composite hulls. Royalex was the best for dragging, but much too heavy when one's in the fourth quarter.

Thanks Glenn...appreciate that. I think I need to learn exactly what camera gear was used by Brasenia because some of those time lapses were just breathtaking. I just want you to know that I haven't always been as foolish as I was the day I lost my sunglasses. Typically I always have them attached to a neck lanyard (like you) when not in use. While driving to my put in on the Debsconeag Loop Trip the rubber ends of the lanyard that grip the sunglasses finally perished and I found myself without the sunglasses only lifeline. Stores were not open at 4:30am to resupply. I was very careful throughout the trip to not lose them and properly care for them, but to lose them with practically one hour left in the trip was a real kick in the backside. So now I am using a $17 pair of combined sunglasses / readers. They actually work great and if I happen to lose those....well, I don't really mind. Thanks for watching the videos again Glenn. Greatly Appreciated.

Great vid! Laughed at the wind dying down when you finished your difficult crossing. It reminded me of my on Allagash Lake trip in September. Please post those recipes (Gotto Gotto? and RIng of Sunshine)!

This seems to be the case for most including myself. However it got me to thinking....maybe our timing is just really that bad...lol!!

Back