• Happy Midnight Ride of Paul Revere (1775)! ⛪🕯️🕛🏇🏼

Daypack with Padded Belt Recommendations

Reaction score
My spine ain’t in such good shape no more. A 2 mile hike now puts me in a chair for hours with pain. Consequently, I’m looking for a new summer daypack, with a padded hip belt. Maybe around 32L?

Last edited:
I have a Gregory 48 liter backpack that is very comfortable. REI lists a 30 liter Gregory pack that may fit your specifications, has a hip belt, and gets excellent reviews. https://www.rei.com/product/145658/gregory-zulu-30-pack-mens

Black Fly, you don't say what is causing your back pain. If you have not already received treatment, you might think about seeing a physical therapist or a chiropractor. PT stretching and strengthening exercises have done wonders for my paddling-related shoulder pain, and for my arthritic and axe-chopped hands.

"Aging is not for sissies." my Mom.
I have found packs made in Utah by ULA. I use one that weight a little over 2 pounds. I use it for backpacking with a light outfit. It is so light and comfortable I use it for day hikes and everything in between. No need to have a quiver of packs anymore. Just buy a ULA and be done with it. Duluth Packs for canoeing.

Osprey backpacks are all the ultralight rage these days, but I'd recommend trying any pack brand out in the store first. Find your torso size.
Loading the weight distribution properly and fitting the pack right is important. So too is posture. And I highly recommend sticks. Walking poles have made all the difference in the world for my knees and lower back. We keep pairs both at the back door and in the car year-round for any last-minute walks. Even without day packs I use sticks. It does take getting used to Nordic walking but having skied it all came back to me. They are a game changer for me. Good luck.

+1 on walking sticks or a nice wizard style walking staff. You go from a unstable biped to a very stable quadruped or triped. Of course there are those of us that are a different kind of unstable, there are meds for that, if you choose to take them.

Can you be more clear? You're looking for a smaller pack with a padded hip pad because you need to take more weight off your shoulders? Is that it? If so, you're probably looking for a small internal frame pack with hipbelt pockets.

Back