• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Dam Beavers

I guess this is just one more reason to be a bit higher off the water in a canoe!

On a more serious vein, this is not the first time I've heard of something like this happening. A couple of years ago there was a beaver attack on a person who was paddling with his son's scout troop on the Delaware River down where it's the border of NJ & PA. I'd love to know if this animal was rabid or what prompted it to act this way. My guess is we'll never really know.

Until next time...Be well.

snapper

They captured (dead) what they think was the beaver. There is no way to be sure because it wasn't captured immediately after. Rabies tests are being conducted.

Be careful out there!

Maybe the beaver confused the paddler with someone who had recently kicked his dam open to flood the downstream portion of the waterway? I have heard some folks do that and this really makes them mad, beavers and other paddlers too.
Me, I respect those little critters and would never do something like that... :rolleyes:

Hope the gent in the kayak is ok.

I once saw a beaver take a running leap off a steep riverbank into water with some impressive air time. It could have easily landed in a canoe if a paddler was right next to the shoreline.

Also remember reading about someone in Belarus dying last year after a beaver severed an artery in the thigh. But it seems this was a case an overzealous photography getting way too close.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2013/04/11/newser-beaver-kills-man/2074145/

Anyway, think I'll start carving spear points on the end of my paddles just like this illustration from "Beaver Ways" (Outing - Vol XLI - March 1903)...

Adney%2B-%2BBeaver%2BWays%2BIllustration.jpg

That area, along with many other parts of NY had been severely flooded earlier this month. It is possible the beaver's dam was washed away or it's young were in a compromised position, and it acted aggressively because of that.

AFAIK beavers aren't exactly friendly towards humans anyway. They smack their tails in disgust when they see us. I guess if you pissed one off or got too close I could see where it might come after you.

This was supposedly not the case here. Apparently the beaver attacked with no provocation.

I know this area and have been here many times. It is a busy spot with lots of people. The beaver could have been provoked by another group.

Who is the chap in post #4 with a composite Wenonah canoe and a laminated wood paddle?

HaHa Glenn, That's me when I was in my "I need a modern light weight solo canoe" phase. I even bought that paddle because I never saw anybody paddle a "mlwsc" with an ash beavertail paddle. I was considering selling my old #3 Duluth pack on eBay so I could buy a suitable modern pack for my mlwsc, but I held out, not sure if I was ready for such a dramatic change in lifestyle.

As with most phases in my life, it was short lived, I soon got back in touch with my inner self and sold my mlwsc and laminated paddle and surrounded myself with cedar, canvas, and ash.

Hmm, sounds like a bit of old-timer dogmatism ... :) The paddle looks like a Bending Branches Sun Shadow. A bit on the heavy side, but a very good utility paddle.
As for "laminated" paddles, most of mine are made that way. Long paddles are hard to handle and tend to be heavy, esp. blade-heavy.

Well I'll sleep easier tonight knowing that my upcoming trips to the backcountry, or frontcountry for that matter won't be spoiled by blood-thirsty beavers... unless of course they are rabid, in which case I would expect them to attack.

[h=2]"Beaver Rabies Statistics[/h] "Beavers are not among the primary carriers for the rabies virus, and rabid beavers are not commonly reported. The Florida Department of Health reports one confirmed instance of a rabid beaver between the years of 1990 and 2009. The Virginia Department of Health reports four rabid beavers in 2012 and none in 2011. In 2005, Maryland reported a single case of a beaver infected with rabies."

http://animals.pawnation.com/can-beavers-rabies-1269.html

I had rabies once for about six years. It made me go so insane and mad that I bought three kayaks and some double blade paddles. Fortunately, I had a spontaneous recovery. I can sympathize with Robin's period of personal heresy.

Maybe the beaver confused the paddler with someone who had recently kicked his dam open to flood the downstream portion of the waterway? I have heard some folks do that and this really makes them mad, beavers and other paddlers too.
Me, I respect those little critters and would never do something like that... :rolleyes:

Robin, your secret is safe with me.

Back