• Happy International Mermaid Day! 🧜🏼‍♀️

CUV Tires and Logging Roads

Reaction score
I was up to Seboomook paddling the ledges last week.
On the way out a vicious rock attacked my left rear tire. Punched a big gash from the sidewall down into the tread.
Fortuately my spare was good and there were no more such incidents.
The car is a 2006 Rav4 Sport with 18" aluminum wheels.

Any suggestions for tires that would hold up better on the logging roads without compromising my highway driving too much?

Thanks,
Tommy

Tommy, Given that the damage was to the sidewall, I doubt that any tire that you could find will have a more resilient sidewall. This may have been a once in a lifetime event, probably not to be seen again. I wonder what kind of tires the banks armored cars have?
Trying to imagine the event: most sharp things like that rock aren't fixed in place and if there was just a little more time to allow the rock to be shoved aside the cut wouldn't have happened. I'm talking fractions of a second. The only way I can think of how to do that, is go slower. During that first point of contact between the rock and tire, there was a chance the rock would skid off and not dig in; it's probably a pipe dream but I wonder if a good coat of wax on the side wall wouldn't have helped?

Best Wishes, Rob

The BF Goodrich AT or a Duratrac (Goodyear I think) in load range E (10ply equivalent sidewall) will help with that. I did the same up there to a new Firestone Destination AT, don't remember the load rating but they were soft. The BFG AT E will be a noticeable difference in road feel, stiffer but I'm guessing the suspension in the Rav4 isn't too rigid to begin with. Some people say they hydroplane, I haven't seen that but I don't highway drive much. As OM said it's probably a rarity, but if it's going to happen, jagged shale laden logging roads up N are the place for it.

I do a lot of logging road driving. Two spare tires is your answer. I have used both in one day.....same as you, side wall punctures.

I agree with OM and memaquay, I would want the best tires for metro Boston (bumper to bumper @75mph:() and just drive slow and carry an extra spare up north.

I agree with OM and memaquay, I would want the best tires for metro Boston (bumper to bumper @75mph
clip_image002.gif
) and just drive slow and carry an extra spare up north.

Agreed as well. I’ve punctured a sidewall once in 40+ years of driving dirt roads.

I am careful and slow on wilderness roads (and even on my own bumpy dirt driveway), and would prefer to use the best tires I can get for the 95% of my driving that is done on pavement.

I do carry a patch kit, Fix-a-flat and 12v air compressor, but for a sidewall puncture there’s not much than can be done beside putting on the spare and being v e r y cautious.

I punctured a sidewall against a curb in a place like Metro Boston.

Mr. McCrea, this is an opportunity for some Gyro Gearloose invention skills. Remember full whitewall tires? Well, suppose someone made a stick-on "wilderness wall" for a tire, perhaps out of aluminum or Kevlar. Millions could be sold. Big bucks. I just want a 10% conception fee.

Anytime new stone has just been laid down, you have to go slow. Some of my seasonal neighbors from urban New England find that out on our access road the hard way. With time the stone works in to the surface.

Mr. McCrea, this is an opportunity for some Gyro Gearloose invention skills. Remember full whitewall tires? Well, suppose someone made a stick-on "wilderness wall" for a tire, perhaps out of aluminum or Kevlar. Millions could be sold. Big bucks. I just want a 10% conception fee.

They make puncture-proof liners for bike tires

http://www.rhinodillos.com/

so the concept is already there, but they are a PITA to install even once. If there was a vehicle tire equivalent the highway ride would probably be akin to driving a half-track.

Back