• Happy "Killer Rabbit" Attacks President Carter in His Paddle Boat (1979)! 🚣🏼‍♂️🐇

Tick, Tick, Tick

Reaction score
This was to potentially be our only longer term trip this season just due to a planned trip home to visit our respective families in Southern Ontario. It would have been an exploratory trip into a new lake which had kept us at bay over the past few years due to low water conditions. I had figured the water would be low considering the early melt and lack of rain but upon arrival we found the most water we had ever seen, about 2 feet higher and a solid current we would need to paddle against. This intimidated me to a degree as I knew some of the portage entrances were close to the outflows so approaches could be interesting.

At the first rapid we encountered an older gentleman on his way out who informed us there was a group of 7 guys in 3 canoes with outboards on their way upstream. We figured by the way he said it was why he was leaving and we hoped we could either catch and pass these 7 guys or they would not take our planned camp spot at the mouth of the river.

We don't normally run any rapids and looking at the first one which is pretty straight forward other than the set of standing waves that were fairly high I was thinking we might just run it on the way out. This same thought occurred to me at #3, again, a ledge to start but a straight run mostly washed out by the high water. Proximity to the road was a big part of it for me giving it merit.

It was hard work going against the current and at a few of the swifts and necked down areas we had to paddle hard to get through, one in particular was a hard fought win, under a hot sun and sometimes headwind as well. It is funny about wind and a river... although it was a south 30km wind and we were mostly going north east, the wind tends to funnel between the trees to usually present a headwind when we especially needed a tailwind.

Obviously we had to portage all the major rapids/falls where in the past we have waded up some. At the double, which is actually 3 rapids in a row, we waded up the first set to the actual portage and skipped over that point, to paddle 100 feet to the start of the second port. We found the tree with the blaze had broken in half and the top was laying directly in the path, so as I humped gear over the port, Christy took axe and bow saw to it and we cleared the path. Bothwell's $5 bow saw did very well with that log.

The alternative to wading the bottom section and doing the small double ports is to start river right well below and do about 400 paces uphill to the pool then crossing to the second port. I'll take wading any day over a longer portage. By that point anyway with the hot day the water was getting warmer to us.

Although some of these rapids may have official names, we just go by their numbered sequence and at #6 we found 3 flat back canoes with outboards clogging the entire take out area for the portage. There is a campsite here that we have used numerous times and that is where the boys were set up. First thing we saw coming up from the water was the beer can tree. They had hung a half dozen empty cans on the ends of branches and many others were strewn around on the ground. Our nice pristine wilderness river was seeing more use and every port had garbage on it. It makes one wonder about people at times.

Due to the ongoing fires in this side of the province there is a full burn ban on but as we walked past the site the boys were at they had a fire going. A bunch of drunk guys in the bush having a campfire during a fire ban.

We passed the lads without a word, we spoke none and none of them came to say hi either and as we passed by the little island just upstream they began humping their boats and motors across to the upstream side.

We just kept moving diligently, now ahead of that group and our last obstruction was just around the corner. We waded #7 on the left side and put some distance on the lads as they tried to motor up the little rapid. We could hear motors rev then fade, rev then fade for quite some time before they became quite steady behind us. They did finally pass us as we approached the lake.

We got to our spot and set up in a difficult south wind, I needed Christy's help to keep the tent from blowing into the lake. It is one of our favourite spots of anywhere we have gone. It is about 12 km from the road and the 7 portages in 9 km's usually keep most people out, or used to.

There had been some good wildlife on the way in, 2 Eagles, 4 Trumpeter Swans, Beaver, many unknown Raptors soaring lazily in the wind, Painted turtles, the Garter Snake at #3 that I had to shoo away before Christy would get out of the boat and many geese and ducks.

While Christy got dinner going I went down the shore to take some casts and landed a nice fat pickerel on the first try. In this area there is a slot limit, 18-28" fish need to be released and this one was about 21" so back it went. Within 5 casts I had another that would have made a good dinner fish, but steak was cooking already. At about this point I kept hearing a loud chirping and a gosling walked up out of the river to my feet. It kept waddling after me no matter where I walked to and when I gave up on fishing for a bit, it followed me up to the kitchen area and stayed put. When I was sitting on the rocks eating my dinner it sat under my leg and waited patiently for something. It just did not seem to want to leave even with us trying to shoo it away and after Christy finally had to pick it up and plop it back into the river, but it again came to me and followed me around.

An anomaly for us was the liquor. I had suggested several nights before departure that we take something with us and so a medium bottle of Bailey's found it's way into our kit. Christy packed it in the bottom of the soft cooler with the steak and eggs so after camp was up we had some ice cold Bailey's to savour with our fresh coffee, steak, potatoes and mushrooms.

After a little while with me ignoring it and being quiet, it wandered back to the water and swam away across the river successfully without being eaten by a hungry fish. I though nothing more of it until an hour or so later when I saw it swim back over to our side to a island of grass next to our site and there was a second abandoned gosling there as well. It wasn't too much later we saw one of them head down in the water, no longer with us in our world.

We went out for our usual evening fish and just drifted the river section in front of camp as we normally do up there and in 3 drifts caught and released 7 more pickerel, the largest we measured was 23" and of the 9 fish we caught in the evening 5 were in the slot size. I also caught two pike which is an anomaly for that system.

The lads came motoring back by after having been skunked out on the lake and they outright did not believe me when I told them I had caught one on my first cast from shore. The second boat we just told them to fish the river and we found out later they did quite well doing just that.

Ticks. By evening I had already picked 3 off me and two more were found in camp. 5 ticks on day one.

As the evening progressed the frogs got going all around us, Spring Peepers by the thousands and it was amazingly loud. With the grass lands flooded by the high water they were all talking at the same time and as it turned out, they did not stop until almost dawn.

As is typical for me when out in the bush, I needed a sleep aid, which usually would be herbal but in this case I went pharmaceutical for extra strength, ear plugs also helped in hushing the frog choir. I slept well all night but Christine tossed and turned to frog voices and the Whippoorwill which came to visit for most of the night.

The plan was to cross two large bays of the lake and continue the 12km upstream to the next lake in the system. This is where the plan fell apart. In the past couple of years I have started to have panic attacks when we make long crossings and I have many other issues I deal with on a daily basis as well which tend to crop up under times of stress when out in the woods. We could skirt the edge around the bay to get across, Christine has been very accommodating in this fashion in the past so that was possible, but it didn't get that far. I was facing two crossings in whitecaps and the potential tough slog upriver again and I had a minor melt down. Panic attack. We could still have proceeded but the what if's prevailed, as in what if we get another 12km into the bush and I can no longer function when she really needs me to. I had considered not coming in the first place, because I knew it would wreck her trip if this happened.

So, back downstream we went, initially with the thought of stopping at the camp we had stayed at in 2014 below number 6, but by the time we stopped there and had a bite to eat, somewhere in my subconscious it had been decided I needed to leave, although I was never consciously aware of it. As we rested another boat came downstream, a couple who had been at the trappers cabin on the lake, with a Honda 2hp putting them along. So, we were the only human powered craft on this river this weekend and all those people had portaged boats and motors up 7 rapids/falls. Never mind the impact on the fishing, but the 2 strokes will be polluting the river and the camp sites will be dirtier.

5 & 4 are both short but you go up and then you go down and with 5 carries it can get exhausting fast for her, Christy even had a hard time getting me to fish, not that the fish were biting anyway as a Mayfly hatch had begun. The set of rapids after 4 we ran as usual on the left side against the rock face. We know from low water trips there is a cut channel along that side where most likely First Nations peoples had cleared it to get boats laden with wild rice back down to the big lake. 3 of the rapids have those channels created for that purpose.

We did fish our way out but they weren't biting, she had gotten two earlier which she cleaned at the lunch stop but that was about it for the day.

Christy wanted to run #3 on the way out and as I had voiced the opinion the day before it might be do-able, but now it was overcast and threatening rain and I just didn't wish to risk it. Again at #1, I thought we could run it but Christy this time opted to port instead, although the port there is flat and simple whereas #3 is more challenging in an up and down way, which is much harder on Christine physically.

More ticks on the way out, Christy finally getting some, I like to share. I had been sharing the black fly and mosquito's bites already but the ticks usually prefer me. We got back to the truck around 6:30 and were on the road for 7, stopped for some first aid once we reached the main road, I had a leech between my toes and we were still removing ticks and needed to do a more thorough tick check, then got home a little after 10pm.

2 days, 10 ticks.

We talked much on the way there, while there and today at home and I will no longer be going on extended trips with Christy. In some ways it is dangerous for her considering she cannot push that hard anymore since her heart attack two years ago and the amount of effort we put out over two days on the river beat us both down into some serious pain. After some other consideration, it would be better for Christy to go out solo simply because we could not guarantee that I could function as needed should she have an issue.

I will take a leave of absence from longer trips for some time until I get my collective crap together, ha ha.

~ Those of us who are uncomfortable in the woods, sit facing them.
Those who are comfortable in the woods, sit with their backs to them. ~

Karin and Christine

I enjoyed your bittersweet trip report. May you both have more trips to come..maybe you can meet with another like minded couple and get some support that way. I have to admit, you don't take easy trips!

The point about taking the hard way round is well taken. Not too many people want to go where we do, or trip our style. Fishing is super high on our activity list...lol. I think I have a couple of trips left in me but the lack of an accomplice to split up the work load is a worry. I am currently looking around for a small motor, a 1.2 - 2.0 hp that I could use to get me farther in a day.

I am certain that we will still be able to get out on short weekenders but my 10 day masterpieces that I dream up are going to be harder, especially solo. I may have to get Bothwell to canvas his posse for me to see who is in the same boat.

Watching you and Robin still out there givin er is pretty inspirational though and it is rumoured that I am one stubborn b*tch, so things may work out.

Christy

I have a sneaking suspicion that the demographics of this group as a whole are over the average median age in North America....

Nice report. Don't let it be Christy's or your last one. There are some very effective meds for anxiety and panic attacks that help smooth out the bumps, My BIL suffers from it and functions quite well with them.
Unless the MI severely damaged her heart, there is no reason for Christy to quit either. Mine was 6 years ago and about as bad as it gets- I was gone for over two minutes. It takes a while to bounce back, and some conscious effort to regain the lost stamina and strength, but it can be done! it just means slowing down and taking things one day at a time :)

Nice trip report, good job on cleaning up that fallen tree.

After a 2 day drive home from western Ontario, with the $100 motel rooms and $70 gas tank fill ups I swear I'll never do it again.

Fast forward to today, I'm reading maps of western Ontario, Memaquay's TR's and dreaming of fresh pickerel in a cold handle frying pan or a portage trail that hasn't seen a foot print in years. It's amazing what a short memory I have when it comes to the negatives vs.the lure of the trail.

Give it some time, I have no experience with these things you talk of, no ideas at all, but I have seen you out there. You have what it takes and that's a good start.

Thanks for sharing with us. Don't be discouraged tho, you two just need to be happy with what you ARE able to still accomplish and focus on the ups, rather than the downs.

This "median age" member is still rooting for you.

YC, you post median age folks are definitely the most active on the forum though. Hahahaha retirement, I can't wait.

Jason

Good on you guys for getting out in Tick season! We had a few last week also. You know, there are plenty small trips around within a few hours drive of Warren that are quite interesting and also have good fishing. Not every trip needs to be a long drawn out affair. Experimental lakes has some great access and short portages. Whiteshell park.

I really enjoyed your report - you captured a lot of similar feelings for me. When a rapid looks comfortable and easy in nice warm and sunny weather but the same rapid looks scary and difficult the next day when its overcast and cooler...... I can relate to that. Paddling in whitecaps, when the water is cold and you are 7 ports from the road - that's also a good time to feel uncomfortable. Part of what you are feeling is normal and ok, and I feel like that sometimes too.

The problem is easily solved. The all encompassing, life rejuvenating elixir, Bud Light. Take more, drink frequently, after the prescribed dose, have a couple more, then you will be in the happy zone. Baileys is good too, but your application of it is all wrong, use it in the morning in coffee, not on the rocks at night. If you follow this careful prescription, you will have years of stress free canoeing ahead of you (except when you run out of beer on a trip, that's pretty stressful).

So like yesterday when I was writing this, I had a tick crawl up onto the mouse under my hand. Then last night in bed, had an itch that would go away on the back of my left knee, check, bump, dang, Christy got it to remove itself by smothering it in Polysporin. Two ticks in my room in one day. Either crawled in from the gear room adjacent, or, off the floor where I dropped a couple gear bags on Sunday night. Most stuff stays out in the shop a few days after a trip, some has to come inside. We shall see how many more ticks find me in the next little while in the house.

YC;
Easy trips we sure have not done over the years. 2009, 15 days out up into Kosteck Lake and down through the heck port at Birch Falls. 2010 to Aiken's Lake, 12 days. 2011 into Obukowin, 9 days, over the Mother's twice in 6 days. 2012 into WCPP from Wallace and Siderock, Crystal, Broken Arrow for 9 days. 2013 was the aborted trip up the Broadleaf again then the Bird River to MacGregor in the fall. 2014, 4 days in September up the Rice River, 5 months after Christy's heart attack. 2015, another aborted trip up the Broadleaf in June, then the Marshall Lake trip in August, 6 days each.

The further we go, the harder it is to get to, produces the best fishing.

Demographics... I'll be 55 this August, Christy will be 58 in September, still babies compared to what you and Robin routinely do.

ScouterGriz;
I did Paxil for 6 years in the 90's, Celexa for 8 years until 2010. It could lessen the symptoms but not solve the issues and I would gain about 30 pounds, but it may actually have to happen again. I can wait until next year when Justin legalizes weed and try that, lol.

Blackfly;
Day trips out of local parks in Nopoming are a option right away. I actually looked at little campers on Kijiji yesterday to help with not sleeping on the ground. We have done truck camping at Beresford in the late Summer a couple of years and day tripped the Manigotagan up and downstream and the Garner, so those are always available.

Mem;
I still want to get back out to Marshall, Gripp, Faubert. I certainly did well last year in the group setting. Perhaps trying to keep my reputation intact helped with the long crossing on Marshall and Summit, both which should have given me fits. Safety in numbers maybe, but it sure was a highlight of my tripping life to get out with you, Robin, Brad and Miranda.

Last edited:
We are hoping to spend a weekend looking for the portage into MaryJane Lake from Davidson this summer you would be welcome to join us old farts. There are some nice lakes with good fishing in North-West Ontario you could look at, some with just a couple of straightforward portages. White Lake off Dogtooth has big shoals of smallmouth bass and just one 400m portage. We saw no one else in there last August long weekend.

Maybe it is time you looked to lighten the load a bit? Who knows, maybe you would even take to using a hammock to get off the ground but if you wanted real lightweight luxury a big lightweight tarp and bug shelter with a floor would be the way to go. A couple of thick inflatable mats like the NeoAir mats would round off the set up and weigh only 6-7lbs.

Have you thought about a bigger canoe for those open water crossings? I am much happier in a 17 footer when the waves get up.

Don't smother ticks. They tend to regurgitate before they drop off. Use a Tick Key. We bought ours for the dog originally but it works great on people. My record is 100+ on me and over 200 on Holly (the dog). We give her a new 12 week oral treatment now that makes ticks drop off if they bite. Wish it was available for people.

Thanks for your report, yes the fishing in remote areas is much better but the crowd usually finds a way in as well. I am always reminded of the portages in Grass River cached with tin boats. Kinda sad about the goslings. - but I guess something will clean it up.

I am sure you will find something that satisfies your needs, its different in a camper - but you adapt pretty quickly.

The vampire spiders were also bad this past weekend. I was out in Riding Mountain and must have pulled a hundred ticks off me - but not as many as two weeks ago on the Tilson Loop - had a baggie with about 25 ticks collected from the outside of my tent. Every time you stopped for a tick check - you would have 5-7 ticks attached. Worst was one in my Belly Button - yanked it with tweezers. Got enough bites to make a note to mention it to the doc when I go next.

Don't smother ticks. They tend to regurgitate before they drop off. Use a Tick Key. We bought ours for the dog originally but it works great on people. My record is 100+ on me and over 200 on Holly (the dog). We give her a new 12 week oral treatment now that makes ticks drop off if they bite. Wish it was available for people.

same for leeches. Though its fun to smother them in salt and olive oil or DEET them ( which makes them drop off), its best to let them eat.

Smallmouth would be awesome, I miss the bass fishing since I moved to Manitoba.

My next scheduled vacation is the first week of August, my Freedom 55 retirement week, for my birthday, just that my retirement only lasts that week, ha ha.

I picked up a deer tick in 2013 at the west end of Wallace Lake, got onto the meds when the bullseye rash appeared and have been fine since. Thankfully all these are wood ticks.

Truth be told, smothering the tick in polysporin actually did nothing to help. I ended up using tweezers anyway and he was hanging on pretty good.

Chris, we borrowed a 17 footer off Mem last year and it was good for the rough crossing on Marshall. We used to have an 18 foot Jensen that worked pretty good on lakes. The issue is that neither on of them turned worth a dang. I think we are about as light as we can get it. 42lb canoe, 3x30 lb packs, and then the food barrel which pushes 40lbs. A few odds and ends like axe, fishing gear, stove, and we are not too bad. Karin does have a neo air dream that is nice. I like a real tent to insulate me from the bugs so we have a Wanderer 4 from MEC. I do need a smaller one though. Had a Tarn3 and didnt like it.

A portage hunting trip sounds like fun..I may have to take you up on that. I was considering the Wallace Lake to Birch Falls trip to clear ports through the burn of a few years ago. About three days. My main issue is that I have to pace myself and that means being slow now. Much more so than most people. As long as I do that I can cope.

Mem..Blite sounds like a good idea, although I would prefer Lucky Strong. Lucky Lager...the beer of choice for those who dont have a choice. Is there a no beer till after the second port rule? Or do you just freestyle it.

Christy

You could maybe lose one of those packs and the Wanderer is a heavy tent, and ditch the beer in favour of spirits. I took along mixers for cocktails last summer and a choice of recipes, though by the end of the trip we were making up our own.

This trip was also shoulder season, so we had Winter sleeping bags and heavier clothing packed, just in case. However, although a bigger boat might work, like a Kip instead of the Mattawa, gear wise it isn't going to lighten up much. We take much less than we used to. I did not pack the fish finder this trip either but it usually goes on most trips to new waters.

Yes, the reason we take more packs is because we limit them to 30 lbs and so split the load up better. For me, an extra trip is preferable to more weight and fewer trips.

Back