• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Tick, Tick, Tick

Ticks, crowds, ticks, rough water, ticks, tough portages...and more ticks. The challenges you faced would intimidate and discourage me too. I would return home asking myself if it was all worth it. The morning after answer would be no. The week later answer would be yes.
At the last minute on Sunday we cancelled a week long canoe trip, so we could instead spend a staycation at home doing whatever. It's been a nice week relaxing and catching up on all kinds of homebody stuff, including some more work. On Tuesday I dropped in to see a customer and we talked. He and his adult daughter told me about their annual Dumoine River trips when they were both younger. "The black flies!! We were covered in bites, head to toe, every trip!!" After they'd both groaned about it for several minutes she quietly said "Those trips were wonderful. I miss them." Her dad smiled and nodded.
Please don't let difficult trips discourage you completely. Perhaps you can adapt rather than abandon something that is clearly in your bones, your sinew, your soul.
I've done a mountain of yard work this week, and put in my gardens. I feel good about that. I still have more to do. There always is. I just received in the mail today a campsite sign, the kind you see in backcountry parks. I was going to hang it on the family room wall, just as a reminder during those long winter nights what I have to look forward to. Miranda had a better idea. She said "Post it on one of the trees in the yard, next to the clearing with a small stack of firewood." dang. What a good idea.

Sorry to read about a trip spoiled. We deal with ticks on a daily or hourly basis where we live. Right in town in our back yard we get ticks, and not those big docile dog ticks. Mostly we have deer ticks that are not much larger period . But lately we have seen an increase in the Lone Star tick. Fast aggressive buggers they are, they will track you and hunt you down. They scare me more than the dear tick with Lyme disease. A friend of mine was bitten by a lone star tick and didn't notice it for a day or so. And now he has an allergy to meat! When they finally tracked down the source of his massive rash the doc asked how old he was and he replied 58 to which was replied well you had a good run. The good news is he lost about 15 pounds. But no meat just shoot me now. Anyway a long way around the fact that we deal with ticks all the time and thought I'd share this method of removal. Haven't needed to try it yet thank goodness.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hVzr8noqvsE

Hang in there, we have sympathetic ears here.
Jim

All together now... Karin is Craaaazzzyyyy!!!

I know it, I accept it, it is just me. The fact I am aware of it is a plus, there are many people in the world bat crap crazy who don't know it and they are the scary ones. Nobody likes to talk about this stuff but me.

Bothwell suggested a larger boat might help in the open water crossings. Not likely. For example, last September we went to a friends camp and rented a boat to fish from. 18 footer with a wide beam and 50 horse motor. I go out alone to fish a fishy looking spot in the middle of the lake. I'm 300 yards from two islands, one each side, I have a panic attack. I stand there, understanding I am having a panic attack and totally aware how stupid it is since I am secure in a boat that is more than capable for the flat water and distance travelled. I start it and go work a section of shoreline. I'm OK close to shore. Next day, Christy and I gun our way down the lake 4 miles and fish all over the place and I don't have an issue.

We have a crawl space under the kitchen here at home. 3 years ago I could go under there and do work without a problem, last time I tried I couldn't go 6 feet from the opening without wigging out. There is about 2 feet of clearance under there. Claustrophobia perhaps. So why out in the middle of the lake? I'm in the bow of the canoe, all I see is water and waves and a distant point of land we are trying to achieve. Small space again maybe.

This past weekend I noticed something different as well, when wading a couple of sections I couldn't watch the water moving past, it was messing with my eyes and making me nauseous. I still had to look down to get my footing right but the moving water was messing with me. In the bow I have plenty of moving water passing by. Who knows what it is, it just keeps getting worse as the time goes by.

We've done plenty of scary water crossings in really nasty whitecaps, ice cold water and stiff winds. It keeps me busy for sure so maybe that is just part of it, keeping my mind on other things, like getting over there where it is safe and not dumping. I never went to camp, never got the classic Canadian kid history of canoe lessons, I don't have the skill set Christy has. I've been learning as we go and she has pushed me into unknown waters again and again without issues. It certainly has been an adventure.

It was just an idea, I know how short boats can feel really squirrelly on a decent swell. Maybe hypnosis is the way to go?
I don't like ladders but that just saves me from having to do chores. Panic attacks whilst paddling is far more serious!

Were all probably fighting some demon behind the scenes
You just try to cage it as best you can. Sometimes it gets loose

Karin; You might think I'm crazy for suggesting this(well I am crazy,but seriously try it) Go get an eye exam, My wife had the same problem with waves and moving water- she'd get seriously nauseous just from looking at ripples, turned out she was farsighted in one eye and her eyes were constantly trying to adjust to the movement, she would get carsick sometimes too. New glasses did the trick; no more carsickness and no more vertigo!

You guys were fine with us last year, and I forgot the gun! When I retire I'll come out to Manitoba, cut the crap out of those portages and kill anything that gets in our path. You'll be fine. Give it some time, don't give up now. Faubert will be explored this June. I recently found out that y Keewaydin routinely came upstream on the Kap from the bridge. I've got a hankering to explore Manitoba, I grew up in Gimli, went fishing at the Pas, give me three years.

SG, I'm about 9 years beyond my last eye exam, I know I need new glasses just haven't gotten around to it. Work will even pay for them, once I pay first and wait the 6 months for reimbursement. I've only ever had to wear my glasses at home, in front of the computer or for close up work, otherwise I'm fine. Now, if I spend any amount of time doing really close up work my eyes get all blurry. Must be that time.

Like memequay said, I thought last summer's trip went well. You both hauled arse over the ports and looked comfortable throughout the week. I'm sorry about the bigger lakes of Marshall and Summit. We could've, would've and perhaps should've kept you company crossing them, but I didn't realize there was any issue. Putting in at Marshall I was more concerned with the two solos making it across than the two tandems. On both Marshall and Summit mem asked me "Are you two okay to cross?" We did fine and stayed comfortably dry, but the lakes got a little hilly.
A return trip isn't in the cards for us this year, but ya never know what next year might bring. I'd love to spend more time on Marshall, Grip and Summit. The Kap would be nicer in higher water. My only regret is I didn't bring more beer for the guide and more booze for my wife. I can fix that.

No worries Brad. The first crossing on Marshall from the beach to the far side wasn't so bad since we were following the shore for the most part and it was just big rollers, no whitecaps. The crossing again to the first nights camp with the following wind was a bit different, but it comes down to the stern woman chanting, "if you stop paddling we are going to die!". :eek:

I remember the Summit crossing as very long, wondering how deep the water was, like, maybe I can get out and walk... In honesty, I think the entire group thing gave me more confidence. Everyone knew I have bear issues but heaven forbid I should ever say I have paddling issues too. Reputation you know. Well, now Everyone knows. Perhaps my future lies more in group trips, so, maybe next year.

The "eye" thing, I remembered this morning I have the same issue watching a train go by, I cannot watch one spot and have the cars zip by without the same sick feeling. Eye check soonly.

I've been having panic attacks lately at the sight of whitewater. We took a course last weekend and all was going well until my drysuit ankle gaskets leaked and I ended up in a body bag, I lost a contact lens after a swim, and once back on shore I had a major freakout, complete with hyperventilating and tunnel vision. It's very frustrating, and I know what you're going through. I'm not sure how to get past it myself except by forcing myself to keep getting out there and practicing the small stuff until I'm comfortable again. Maybe that would help you too? Spend a day at a local windy lake with lots of people around where you don't have to worry about not making it back?

Yeah, the following seas later on Marshall were a bugger. The idea of dumping crossed my mind but I quickly pushed that thought away and focussed on riding swells and troughs; the very idea of M and I bobbing in the middle of Marshall on day one with all our packs heading miles in the wrong direction made me cringe with looming embarrassment. I didn't dare tip.
"If you stop paddling we are going to die." Now that's what I call positive reinforcement. lol
I may as well let the cat outta the bag and admit that mem said to me "Don't say a word to anybody, but I forgot the gun." I thought it was pretty funny at the time. Just as well having one less thing to carry.

Well there ya go. I did feel good on the Marshall trip. The ports were easy enough, although by the last day I was pretty tired. It is pretty much a random thing but I have less endurance now, even with my regular gym visits, than I did then. It is what it is. I just need to learn to deal with it.

Marshall was an interesting crossing...I was the only one not too keen on it...lol. That is different. My concern with these sort of conditions is how long can I keep up the extended effort required to get to the other side. I try to err a little bit more on the side of caution now. Not that I am afraid of dieing or anything...I just dont want to end up arse over teakettle in the water with all of our stuff wet/missing out in the bush. That is not my idea of a fun time. Been there, done that.
Plus if that happens here and the SAR guys from work have to come get me I would never hear the end of it.

As odd as it may sound, the easiest way for me to keep tripping is by myself. That way I can set the pace and rest/ wait out as I need to without anyone else getting in the way of my decisions. There are times when this may cause me to have to do a little more work, but that is ok. It's not about getting anywhere, it's just about being there.

We had a super awesome trip on the Rabbit last fall with Chad that had crappy fishing but was such a nice time that I would go back in a heartbeat. No ports, just paddling and a bit of wading. A night under the stars with a good fire and no bugs. I can live with that. We will get Karin sorted out and take her on some of those outings, s'all good.

Christy

Tear_knee, I've been following your thread on MyCCR with the hopes you would find this one. It occurred to me that you had a panic attack when I first read it. I imagine they are different for everyone in how they manifest. I don't recall having one at all on the Marshall trip last year, albeit I have always been a worry wart. Perhaps on Sunday morning it was partly due to my vision issues since I was watching the whitecaps roll by on the river in front of camp.

Once you get over the willies and get out and do some easy whitewater, how do you plan to train for whitewater in a non-rockered boat with a tripping load? If you are learning in a white water specific boat, your regular composite with a load would react slower to paddle commands I would think. You can always ask that in your thread though.

Last edited:
Vision issues sure don't make it any easier. I'm blind as a bat without my glasses or contacts, and don't trust my eyes even with corrective lenses. Found out I have developed an astigmatism recently, even though my prescription hadn't changed in years. New lenses have helped with that. Being unable to focus makes me nauseated and dizzy, too. I really should think about laser correction before I get older and need trifocals.

We've done some small stuff in our own loaded boat, which always seems to end up ok. We're so used to our own canoe now and it's so responsive that we have a hard time switching to heavier river-running boats. If we were ever to do a big river trip we'd probably borrow another boat we're comfortable with (perks of Andrew being a former employee of The Complete Paddler). We liked the Nova Craft Moisie a lot. Interested in trying the new Starlight, too. We will probably take a river tripping-specific course at some point. I'd prefer to practice in our own canoe so we know what will happen.

I'm a worry-wart too. Really hope both of us can figure out a way to simply worry and not have all-out panic attacks. Rooting for you.

Tear_knee, if you stick to tripping in Ontario, white water is almost always optional. Most rapids have ports, usually for a reason. Trippers view white water as a decision, and if the decision looks too risky, they don't do it. Under the new OPHEA guidelines, I'm not supposed to do any rapids with high school kids, and our trips haven't been limited that much. In any case, learning on big water in dry suits and all the other fancy jazz is a bit of overkill for most trippers. I train my kids on warm days, in their shorts and t-shirts, on a straight forward C-1 with a good eddy. They have to have good flatwater skills before the WW stuff too, like solid draws, cross bows, side slips, etc.

If you get a good group of like minded people, many obstacles can be overcome. Good cheer and liquor at the end of the night helps to make everything better too. The only person to fall out of a canoe on our marshall trip was me, first time in many years, thrown out by an old cedar tree, my pride somewhat damaged, but I needed a bath anyway.

There is even a picture somewhere of Karin and I napping in the canoe. Hows that for confidence.

Peer pressure to perform, safety in numbers, and just plain old fun makes group tripping a totally different animal. The daily after action report is good too. Maybe that is what some people need to feel comfortable in the bush. Tierney...if you are out and find a nice little rapid that you can blast through in just regular tripping gear and a life jacket then do that. In fact, dump your gear on the bank and run it several times. Have some fun, with no pressure. Tripping is one thing and whitewater adventuring is another altogether. Keep em separate.

The whole get out often and ramp it up a bit each time tactic worked ok with Karin for a while but now we have passed all the easy crap and gotten to the razor wire. New technique required methinks.

Christy

Rob....when you showed up late after your adventure and said you had dumped, at first I thought,well, you know. Nature calls, TMI, and all that. lol

Ha ha, considering it was along that cliff face, the bottom was around 30 feet down, I didn't have my lifejacket on and hadn't tied the chainsaw in, I almost did make the dump you allude too. That little chum was like a mild mannered horse I tried to ride once, after it threw me out, the horse stopped and looked down at me, just like the chum, still upright and waiting for me. Such a polite little canoe!

As odd as it may sound, the easiest way for me to keep tripping is by myself. That way I can set the pace and rest/ wait out as I need to without anyone else getting in the way of my decisions. There are times when this may cause me to have to do a little more work, but that is ok. It's not about getting anywhere, it's just about being there.

Christy

Another way is to find someone to go with who knows your pace. I still hike with my mother who is 92, she's a lot slower but I always enjoy the hikes, as she got older the mountains became hills, she controls the pace and the distance.

Back