• Happy Marine Mammal Rescue Day! 🐳🐬🦭🦦

Custom Food pack

Reaction score
Just finished making two food packs for Maine Guide Rob Scribner of Sunrise Canoe and Kayak in Machias. Rob runs a great trip down the Machias River, and his father trained generations of guides as a professor and head of the outdoor recreation department at the local university. The packs holds a standard 13" x 13 milk crate and stands 18 inches tall so they don't sit too high above the gunnels.

IMG_0744.jpg

I'll be making a batch of No. 3 portage packs in February. I make them with the flaps 3 inches longer than typical. Provides better coverage when the pack is overstuffed. Let me know if you're interested.

Hi Art, beautiful pack and I love that its set-up for a milk crate. I'd be interested in one when the next batch comes about.

Rob outfitted my group-trip down the Machias this past May. Great guy. Please tell him Steve says hello.

Good work. I have a Duluth Food Pack but it is large and tends to get heavy. Two smaller food packs are much better.

I received my pack from Art a couple weeks ago and had occasion to use it on a short trip to the Adirondacks last weekend. I just wanted to say here that the pack is EXCELLENT. Very well constructed, with sharp details, and its super stout. I'm very pleased. Thank you, Art! It feels a little extra special because it was custom-made by a CT.netter too.

IMG_1200.jpg

I ordered mine a touch larger, to accommodate a little closed cell foam padding around the bottom of my milkcrate. The foam is held in place by a cube-shaped canvas tote, and the foam wraps up around all four edges of the milk crate, ultimately contouring to the bottom of the crate. The foam provides a little padding for the contents when the pack is set down hard and also protects the canvas bottom from wearing under the sharp edges of the milk crate.

Foam cut a bit larger than the bottom of the milkcrate:
IMG_0798.jpg

Inserted into the bottom of the canvas tote:
IMG_0799.jpg

Tote handles tied to the interior of the milkcrate turn the whole insert into one unit:
IMG_0800.jpg

For waterproofing, the whole insert gets wrapped in a contractor bag:
IMG_1096.jpg

By the end of the trip, we started clipping the kitchen utensil roll to the front of the crate for convenience:
IMG_1191.jpg

I'd heartily recommend Art's handiwork for any custom bag needs. Cheers, Steve

Attachments

• IMG_0910.jpg
    IMG_0910.jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 3
I received my pack from Art a couple weeks ago and had occasion to use it on a short trip to the Adirondacks last weekend. I just wanted to say here that the pack is EXCELLENT. Very well constructed, with sharp details, and its super stout. I'm very pleased. Thank you, Art! It feels a little extra special because it was custom-made by a CT.netter too.

View attachment 140327

I ordered mine a touch larger, to accommodate a little closed cell foam padding around the bottom of my milkcrate. The foam is held in place by a cube-shaped canvas tote, and the foam wraps up around all four edges of the milk crate, ultimately contouring to the bottom of the crate. The foam provides a little padding for the contents when the pack is set down hard and also protects the canvas bottom from wearing under the sharp edges of the milk crate.

Foam cut a bit larger than the bottom of the milkcrate:
View attachment 140328

Inserted into the bottom of the canvas tote:
View attachment 140329

Tote handles tied to the interior of the milkcrate turn the whole insert into one unit:
View attachment 140330

For waterproofing, the whole insert gets wrapped in a contractor bag:
View attachment 140332

By the end of the trip, we started clipping the kitchen utensil roll to the front of the crate for convenience:
View attachment 140333

I'd heartily recommend Art's handiwork for any custom bag needs. Cheers, Steve
So glad it meets your needs, Steve!

Art

Back