• Happy Midnight Ride of Paul Revere (1775)! ⛪🕯️🕛🏇🏼

Cowboy Coffee thoughts

I guided a trip for 5 retired surgeons and their accountant one time and they told me of a horsepacking hunt they did out West. Their guide for that trip had a large percolator and it made the worst coffee they ever had. It seems that the glass piece for the top was missing and a mouse must have gotten in there and been boiled up. That was their version of "cowboy coffee". They liked my coffee made in the funnel like I posted on the previous page.

Oh man that's bad finding a rodent corpse in your cuppa joe. Ugh. Care for a miced coffee?
Although that might even be enough to help Birchy kick his habit.

Well, the Romans considered mice a delicacy... they're an organic source of protein as well, and not the industrial-grade processed garbage being marketed so commonly to unsuspecting consumers.

Be sure and buy from a reputable source. And no GMOs.

IMG_5695.JPG

At one time we had a set of cups that were brown. My new bride would sometimes make gravy with the packets of powdered stuff, some of that stuff is onions. She would dump the stuff from the packet into a cup, add boiling water, stir, for instant gravy. Whomever washed the dishes one time did not get all the gunk out of the bottom of the cup. A few days latter a new friend came by for a visit. As is the custom in most homes he was offered a cup of Joe, guess what cup he got. He never said anything until about five years later when he knew our friendship could handle knowing the story. He said that he just thought that we maybe like onions in everything, but we never served him that kind of coffee again, but he always checked his cup prior to our filling it. A few years later he was working for a hunting guide up in the Yukon Flats, his job was as a packer, skinner, all around camp helper and cooks helper. As luck would have it at my job one day I saw the head guide in the Alaska Dept. of Fish & Game with three new clients getting their hunting license and tags. I told them the story about Ron and the onion tasting coffee. They readily agreed to after a few days in camp to one morning all look up at Ron after their first sips of morning coffee and asked "who put onions in the coffee?" Ron didn't know that I had met these men, so it was a good joke. We have since then, gotten a set of white china, the white cups get inspected very carefully prior to use.
I have bunked in many old run down mouse, vole, and squirrel infested trappers shacks and fish camps, I always turn the pots, pans, bowls, and cups upside down and give them a good rap to make sure that no feces would be floating in the brew.

My coffee snobbery never extends beyond my back door. You see I work in people's homes, and sometimes I'm honoured with the offer of a coffee, sandwich and discussion. Gosh, I've gotten the inside scoop of so much neighbourhood gossip it's not funny anymore. The human factor has replaced the job satisfaction factor for me in recent years. Although I still love what I do it's the people I meet who make my daily grind so rewarding...most of the time.
By coincidence I met an old high school friend's mom who wanted work done. (This has happened many times. It's a small world after-all.) Around midday she offered to make me a cup of coffee. That was a nice. When she placed it on the table for me the room went all Twilight Zone. It was the most putrefying scummy thing I've ever seen floating in that mug. BUT unfortunately I'd sloshed a mouthful down before actually looking at it. That's when the Rod Serling thing kicked in. I remember my eyes tearing up as I forced it down. She'd already flitted out of the room humming happily as she went. I quickly got back to work and set my cup down unfinished. Later after she'd gone out to run some errands I thoughtfully emptied my cup down the sink and decided to rinse the carafe as well. Upon opening the coffee grinds basket I found a thick brick of black green science experiment. The poor lady had forgotten to change the coffee grounds. For several years. I dispensed with those and rinsed it all out. I figured who knows? She might have me back to do more work.

An update on my plan of using a thermos for my coffee pot. 19 days on the canoe trail and I pronounce it a grand success. Two heaping tablespoons of coffee in the quart thermos and then boiling water added. Five minutes later I would tap it a few times (following some hints in this thread) to help settle the grounds. I never bothered with the screen I had along and had few grounds in my cup until trying to get the last few drops out of the thermos after lunch. Piping hot coffee when I wanted it was a real treat. Very easy cleanup too.

In a weird coincidence, I watched this Cowboy Coffee Youtube video just a few days ago. This guy took it to a whole new level -- started with green coffee beans that he roasted out in the bush just before making the coffee.

Jim

Thanks for the video Jim but I'm guessing that unless I run into a coffee bush in the wild AND I'm out of coffee I'll stick with bring ground coffee to the woods. That just looks like too much work, first thing in the morning, even without all the BC contraptions.

I like Marten's thermos idea. A coffee pot/carafe/thermos all in 1. Simple.
Simple I like, such as using a portable grill for an open fire or a collapsable twig stove. And the simplified gear list goes on, but bushcraft is a toolset of knowledge and skills. Can't have too much of that right? Those skills are good to know, but I guess if I'm ever in a real survival situation without means of making my morning coffee God help anyone brave enough to rescue me. Might just as well airdrop me a pound of ground dark roast and wait for me to mellow.

My 2 cup Bialetti was a flea market find. It has sat on our basement pantry shelf ever since. Until this evening. I felt a sudden urge for a good cuppa coffee and thought I'd give the old pot a try. Pretty easy to use; fill with water, fill with freshly fine grounds and place on medium high heat. It only took about three minutes to brew. In fact, it was ready before the dessert I made came out of the oven, so the Bialetti pot had to take shelter under Lamby the tea cozy. Can't have cooled coffee and hot baked apple and ice cream, eh?
I love this Bialetti. It is now my morning coffee machine. PB032276.JPG

I may take Bialetti tripping. However Lamby stays home.

Last edited:
This is one of my favorite threads, after reading it I get up an make another pot.
Od...... Make sure you don't fill the bottom half of the Bialetti over the little escape valve, also don't use the handle to tighten or loosen the top half. I know all about doing that, and believe me it is not something you need to see for yourself. The valve needs to be able to blow if pressures should somehow get to high. The handle will break off, as it isn't as strong as it looks. I gave in to temptation last week when a local store was selling a 9 cup Bialetti for half off, with the coupon. I rushed into town to get one, fortunately for my wallet they were sold out, no rain checks either. Maybe someone was watching out for me from the caffeine police. Instead, I sent off a check for one of those hard anodized 1.1 liter Mors bush pots.For most of my life I have just used a small or large coffee can with a picture wire bail for my coffee pot. Metal coffee cans are getting hard to find these days. So, I have been searching (mostly buying) for the perfect pot. While fishing in the BWCA this fall I was reminded by my friends that my use of a coffee can for a pot might not pass muster with the Forest Service Ranger.

My wife never fails to remind me that she bought this Bialetti for me (for $3, used). Yes dear. Thank you. Again. But it was very thoughtful. I've been using it every morning lately. (Thanks again sweetheart.) She still insists on the espresso machine for her own morning cappuccino. I'm fine with my Bialetti black. Mind you, the Bialetti grind basket is rather large; maybe that's why the coffee is so strong? We use KickingHorse coffee. I saw cute colourful Bialetti pots at the St Jacob's market in Ontario. Cute colours. I'd go for that. I'm a decorator kinda guy. Does Canary yellow go with Woods pack green for camping? lol.
It's funny how the simpler you try to get the more complicated life can become. Like cheese. No, really. I was reading about real artisanal cheese, and how difficult it is to know it, source it, find it, afford it. You can be fussy and insist on local produce, or settle for commercial homogeneous muck sold as "special". Buyer beware. More like buyer bewildered.
Back to coffee. I may have struck gold with this simple Bialetti pot. For the uninitiated, it makes strong stuff between espresso and drip.

Stanley makes a product called the Stanley Mountain Vacuum Coffee System, which is coffee pot, french press and vacuum bottle in one kit. It looks interesting, but is pricey. I still use my Jetboil coffee press, but the vacuum bottle would be worthwhile.

Back