• Happy National Bean Counter Day! 🫘🔢🧮

Cooke Custom Sewing Gear

G

After reading many favourable reviews of this company, I gave them a try. Their prices are quite reasonable, and their gear well designed and made. I purchased a #2 Canoeist Traditional Pack. It's light but solid. Now I don't have to leave the kitchen sink at home. I'm also really happy with my 10'x14' Tundra sil Tarp. The features are well thought out and rugged. Shipping was fast and pain free.
http://www.cookecustomsewing.com

"They" are not faceless. If you get the opportunity to meet Dan , do have a chat. It's a one man operation. You ought to have many enjoyable campsites under that tarp Brad. Mine (same size and material) is some seven or eight years old and holding just as strong now as on day one.

I met Dan many years ago at the Outdoor Retailer Summer Show in Salt Lake City. He was sort of helping out at the Bell Canoe Works booth. We spent several hours talking about canoeing and gear. The amount of thought and the attention to detail that goes into all of his products blew me away. There are a lot of good products made for canoe tripping (I'll never understand why, considering the niche nature of our addiction), but none are better than Dan's.

Pete

A few weeks ago, I spent several pleasant hours trying all the ways I could think of erecting my Cooke's tarp. After all the dust settled it seems that, for me, some variation of the simple lean is probably the best.

In the middle of my yard-play the wind came up quickly and caught me by blowing from the worst direction and my my tarp was ballooned out, much like the main sail on a Spanish galleon. It was exciting there for a bit and once I got everything back under control I inspected the tarp to see if it had taken any hurt. No, of course not, it's from Dan Cooke.

Then I got to pondering: The number of glowing reports are legion of how a Cooke's tarp has stood this or that challenge of nature. Only a dyed in the wool lunatic would suggest that his products are anything less than superb; but I can't help wondering, it's a kind of an itch. Has anyone ever, anywhere, witnessed just what it took to cause one of Mr. Cooke's tarps to fail? And lived to tell the tale?

Best Wishes, Rob

I have had one for a couple of years and it has survived everything. I do use poles on occasion and the corner loops were too large to catch the shoulders on the poles so I did have to put a few stitches across the loops to make them smaller. Great product.
Dave

I replaced my Cooke tarp only because during a big blow one of the anchor trees came down and allowed the tarp to impale itself on a broken limb.

My tarp is only 3 years young, and no fail yet. Last summer my wife and I fit a gathering under our 10’x14’ during a storm. I neglected to position it close enough to the fire, so THAT washed away. An extra supply of medicinal Scotch and bannock kept our spirits up, along with the tarp. I owe it all to Dan, and not to my knot tying finesse. I simply can’t believe how light, yet strong, these things are! I’m gonna buy a couple more of different sizes. I sleep in my tent, but I LIVE in my tarp.

Back