• Happy National Nurses Day! 🛌👩‍⚕💉💊🎉

Connecticut River questions

Reaction score
central NYS - 10 miles from the Baseball Hall of F
Hey all - I'm in the process of planning a weekend trip on the Connecticut River and I'm hoping some of you may be able to answer a question for me. I purchased the new river map and looked at the website but that has left me more confused than before.

The stretch we're looking to paddle is from the Cornish/Winsor covered bridge down to Bellows Falls, VT. I'm scouting this particular section for a possible trip I'll be leading for Fort #4 in the future.

On the map there is an island named Hubbard Island that indicates there is camping allowed; the map says to stay on the left shore to find the site. Unfortunately, the website mentions nothing about it. It only talks about camping at an SCA (Student Conservation Assc.) site that's on the river about a mile below Hubbard Island.

The group I'm doing this with is a traditional Native group and they usually cook on wood fires. Unfortunately, the literature all states that the SCA site doesn't allow open fires so that puts us back to Hubbard Island.

So bottom line....does anyone know if campsites really do exist on Hubbard Island? If so, could you give me an estimate as to the size of the site and how many tents, hammocks, etc. it might comfortably hold? I'm also curious as to whether there might be any "amenities" on the site; i.e. picnic tables, pit toilets, etc.

Thanks, in advance, for any help you can give me. Take care and until next time....be well.

snapper

My pleasure. Give it a month or so and with a little luck I'll be living at about river mile 220.

Clemency - I spoke with Doug at the land trust yesterday and he filled me in on some of the basic info so I appreciate the phone number you provided. It looks like we'll be one of the last groups to camp on the island as we'll be there either Friday or Saturday night of the Columbus Day weekend. Doug told me they're going in that Monday to pull the privy and fill the hole in for the season. Didn't realize groups would do that as I've never seen a privy in NYS moved until it was necessary to dig a new hole; and sometimes they wait too long (ugh!).

That's all for now. Thanks again for your help. Take care and until next time....be well.

snapper

Never heard of that either. Wonder what the logic is. Not having a pile of frozen excrement thawing out in the spring? Conserving the structure itself so it lasts longer?

Give them a few years of doing that and someone is going to get tired of the annual chore.

Back