• Happy Marine Mammal Rescue Day! 🐳🐬🦭🦦

Commemoration Hatchet

Reaction score
Hopefully, a few of you good folks might offer some advice on an upcoming purchase. Within a few months, I'll need to buy a Gransfors Bruks hatchet as a gift; it will also need to be engraved (either the head or the handle) as it will mark a life achievement. The recipient is also a canoe camper who will use the hatchet on his trips.

I'm sure that it would be easier to have the handle engraved; as well, it would offer more room for the engraving. I've had a knife laser engraved before, but I can't say that I was impressed by the work as it seems quite impermanent.

If you've had similar work done or bought from an outfitter/store that also does engraving, I'd appreciate hearing about your experience.

I've had knife blades engraved, but I don't think engraving would last long on the high impact and high abrasion head of a hatchet, at least not on one that is going to be used for splitting and butt hammering. How about some sort of medallion screwed into the flat end of the handle's knob? The knob may have to be shaved a bit to a flat surface if it already isn't.

I've had knife blades engraved, but I don't think engraving would last long on the high impact and high abrasion head of a hatchet, at least not on one that is going to be used for splitting and butt hammering. How about some sort of medallion screwed into the flat end of the handle's knob? The knob may have to be shaved a bit to a flat surface if it already isn't.
Excellent idea, Glenn, and one I hadn't really thought of. I think I'll go this route. After a little investigation, I think I've found a place that will make custom mini USGS-like benchmarks. Perhaps I can attach one of those to the end of the handle. That way, if the handle ever breaks, it can be reattached.

Thanks so much.

You could give the recipient a story along with the axe. Michael Davis, the juggler comedian, was juggling an axe, a machete and a torch. He told the audience that the axe was once owned by George Washington and that he only had to replace the handle ... and the head.

Wow, those are some very nice looking tools! I wrap mine in cordage also. I use my small forest axes every week, and a times a large double blade. Thanks for posting, I really enjoy pics like these from axes that are used for real. loved the pics! 👍

Engraving is a good idea if you can find someone.
Over the years I have given out the coveted "Golden Mule Show Award" to outdoor people that have had great influences on me over the years. They typically don't know about it beforehand. I like to chose a time like after dinner around a campfire. I make short speech, hand them a certificate and present one of my old mule shoes painted gold.

I have a collection of axes, broad axes, adzes and other log tools but don't use them much because I am on blood thinners.

Back