• Happy National Garlic Day! 🧄🚫🧛🏼‍♂️

Columbus Day Weekend Solo Canoe Camping...?

Reaction score
Hi there,

I have little experience in the Adirondacks but would like to get a trip in before it gets too cold, and was thinking of heading up to Henderson Lake this weekend to paddle and camp from Sunday through Tuesday (Columbus Day weekend). It may be the only time I'd be able to get up there before the Spring. I'm curious if others know about this area this time of year and if it would be way too crowded for me to grab a site for Sunday and Monday nights on the lake. Many thanks for any help.

Brightraven

I'm curious if others know about this area this time of year and if it would be way too crowded for me to grab a site for Sunday and Monday nights on the lake.

I've never been to Henderson Lake but it looks lovely, surrounded by the High Peaks. The only info I can offer is that this one-year old article suggests it is very little used even in July, and that there are three campsites and one lean-to on the lake.

The gamble sounds reasonable to me, and you could use the Lake Harris State Campground, which isn't that far away, as a backup in case there is nothing available on Henderson or if it is just a day paddle on Henderson.

Good luck. I assume you got your boats back from refurb.

The lake will not be crowded, but the parking area will be more than maxed out. The upper works trailhead is a major access point for hikers. Expect to find difficulty in parking and add extra distance to your portage.

Thanks all, for the feedback and advice. A turn of events has taken place which will prevent my heading up there this weekend, but hopefully another time soon.
Much gratitude…

Back