• Happy Midnight Ride of Paul Revere (1775)! ⛪🕯️🕛🏇🏼

Collector or connoisseur

Reaction score
After watching an interview the other day of a fairly prolific paddler talking about his favourite spots to paddle, where he touched on the subject of favourite rivers to paddle and the number of times they had been down these routes, it got me thinking about my tripping preferences and what lies ahead this coming summer with the possibility of limited travel and in the coming years with a growing family.

To answer my own question, I am definitely a collector of canoe routes. The process of exploring new places, from route planning and mapping to the thrill of heading into the unknown while watching maps evolve into reality is the greatest dopamine I am willing to experiment with. For the most part, the trips aren’t rushed, fishing and photography regulate the pace, and most of what is available is consumed. We’ve found the dooziest of fishing holes and spectacular vistas, but we never go back. That next spot is just too enticing and having a glut of Canadian wilderness at our fingertips makes it all too easy.

My first world conundrum; enter kids. There are definitely spots I want my kids to experience beyond the photo albums, but returning to these places goes against my selfish collector mentality. It doesn’t seem right to not show them some of these spots, but as I said, I’m selfish and just around that next unknown corner....

I will probably relent some day and will find myself on familiar waters. Its extremely enjoyable when you see new experiences through young, fresh eyes, and perhaps knowing what’s up ahead will increase their anticipation and excitement.

thinking out loud on a cold winter day.
cheers.

Back