• Happy Incorporation of Hudson's Bay Co. (1670) 🍁🦫🪓

Coldfeets Chum in the shop

Reaction score
Yesterday Coldfeet (David) stopped here with his new to him Chum and we had a good day. We went over to Schuyler Thomsons shop where Schuyler and Frank went over the Chum and a game plan was devised. Frank will repair the rot on the stem tips and inwale tips, make up some plank and a rib, sand the hull, then David and I will finish it here at my place in the near future.
It was a fun visit with David, we took the canoe back to my shop and worked on it for a while. Pulled some tacks, removed a broken rib and worked on the secret Chestnut Chum handshake.
David even got to see a pair of coyotes run off with one of my free ranging chickens. (as we were eating barbecue chicken):(

That Chum looks better than chum already! Looks like a good day was had working on a canoe. You didn't drink my Bronx beer did you? ;-) I guess I gotta find a Chum to be privy to the secret handshake.

I stripped nimrod Brendan's new to him (acquired at the Assembly Auction) 1910 Old Town lightweight trapper on Sunday. It is a cool boat. All spruce trim (decks, rails, thwart, seats).

Keep us posted on the project.

Fitz

I see Busch beer was involved, again! Looks like a good job was done stripping the finish. Please post pics of the progress of the repairs. One of my stems seems a bit soft, I'll know more when the canvas comes off this winter, so any insight will be helpful. What type of cedar was used for the ribs and plank?
Sorry you lost one of your chickens.....looks like you may need to rehire your exterminator!

I am beginning to think the secret handshake is nothing more than a marketing scheme designed to increase demand for Chestnut Chums in order to increase prices.:confused: I gotta get me one to find out for sure.

It might have more to do with increasing Busch beer sales. At this rate, we might have a Chestnut Chum convention at "Robins House of Canoes."

I'd like to believe you but I think you're part of the conspiracy.
I'll never tell.......
I will share, and I don't understand why, but I've noticed a huge difference between paddling the Chum vs a Kevlar 16' boat. The Chum weighs more on land, but on the water feels like a feather in comparison. I'm sure it being a foot shorter makes for some of the difference, but it's really noticeable. Not to mention it's a much nicer view from the drivers seat!

No Title

nI'll never tell.......
I will share, ad I don't understand why, but I've noticed a huge difference between paddling the Chum vs a Kevlar 16' boat. The Chum weighs more on land, but on the water feels like a feather in comparison. I'm sure it being a foot shorter makes for some of the difference, but it's really noticeable. Not to mention it's a much nicer view from the drivers seat!

I noticed the same thing with my first w\c canoe, and it was an OT Yankee, not exactly a hull designed paddling ease. I was never able to do a side by side comparison and am not sure if it was real or imagined.

Attachments

• photo7597.jpg
    photo7597.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 0
That Chum looks better than chum already! Looks like a good day was had working on a canoe. You didn't drink my Bronx beer did you? ;-) I guess I gotta find a Chum to be privy to the secret handshake.

I stripped nimrod Brendan's new to him (acquired at the Assembly Auction) 1910 Old Town lightweight trapper on Sunday. It is a cool boat. All spruce trim (decks, rails, thwart, seats).

Keep us posted on the project.

Fitz

Naw Fitz your a Chestnut guy so we'll "teach you the handshake". I'm getting instructions now from my IT guy (at my erxpense) on how the block out the handshake with black boxes. You just can't be too careful next thing ya know SUP people will be copying it.

images

Looks like you guys enjoyed a nice day of Chum-type fellowship. Can't wait to see Coldfeet's canoe back on the water.

That's all for now. Take care, enjoy your Busch beers and until next time....be well.

snapper

PS - If anyone is interested in getting a lookey see at the Busch summer estate, come on up and paddle Otsego Lake in Cooperstown. The Hager-Busch family built a summer home, which they still use, here in the 19th century when hops were king in the upstate NY economy.

Nice work gentlemen and looking good. Another case of Lite beer to the rescue. But if you look at the reflections thrown by the racked canoes and tin signs you can just about see...or maybe you can but I can't. I guess the secret is safe for another day.

Back