• Happy 1st Showing of a Color Photograph (1861)! 📷🎥🏳️‍🌈

Cold Cracking

Reaction score
My friend just bought a 2013 Roylex Canoe with a cold crack that was fixed. The gunnels were very dry so it pulled them off put spar varnish on the inside oiled the outside .
When I reinstalled the wood I slotted out the holes in the Roylex at the end caps and first gunnel screws to allow for expansion. As none of my boats in Roylex have wood trim I am not familiar
with this problem. Just wondering anyone who has delt with this situation if this will solve the cracking. Any advise will be appreciated .

Black Dog, I had one boat I bought with a bunch of cold cracks. The repairs were a bear but ended up getting it done. All my other RX boats have survived the winter months without getting them. I have been advised that while storing in cold weather to back the screws out of the gunwales a bit. Supposedly this allows for expansion. Hope this helps.

dougd

We used to back out the screws toward the ends a little.. Then we forgot and we really never remembered again. The canoe was in an unheated garage and any temperature change took time. It was about 60 inside in the summer and 0 in the winter. A boat stored outside would be susceptible to more rapid changes in temperature. Its the rate of expansion and contraction of the different materials. ( they are different) not the cold per se. So the name Cold Cracks is really irrelevant.

The royalex canoe I picked up this fall had a number of cold cracks where the owner hadn't loosened the screws. There's a nice sticker on the inside that says to loosen all the screws for the winter. I think the gunwales being really dry exacerbated the problem since the canoe was stored outside the last few years. This really seems to be a problem with Mad River canoes for some reason. I don't know if I've heard of another manufacturers boats having this problem.

Mark

I had a friend whose mad river outage xl cold cracked about 3/4 of the way down. He grooved it out and filled it with gflex and used it in class 2 white water for many years

Lots and lots and lots of cold cracked canoes up here lol, I probably fixe around a hundred cracks... And some years some boats decide they need to crack... Random really. I had a client she had that mad river for 15 or 18 years never had an issue, and then one year 9 cracks some of them over a foot long.... if you don't take the screw out it doesn't mean it will crack, but if you do, you are sure it won't crack.. take atlas the first 3 feet from each end!!

Anyone ever see Nova Craft royalex boats with aluminium gunwales crack? Probably going to be forced to store school canoes outside next year.

Anyone ever see Nova Craft royalex boats with aluminium gunwales crack? Probably going to be forced to store school canoes outside next year.

Never seen any Rx boat with aluminum gunned crack. It is a wood gunnel/RX combination that is the problem!

(Update of past cold crack experiences)

I have fixed a couple of wood gunwaled RX boats with cold cracks, and seen a few more. The only firsthand exception to the RX with wood gunwale rule was a very old RX Explorer with vinyl gunwales that cold cracked, not at the pop rivets, but for several inches at each and every floatation lacing hole drilled through the hull.

I was happy I went to look at that inexpensive used Explorer 20 minutes from home, and happier to have walked away.

Secondhand I have seen photos of a Royalex hull with vinyl gunwales that developed cold cracks below the pop rivets. But, those aside, it is almost always wood gunwales and RX.

The actual why is more of a mystery. All of the cold cracked wood gunwale RX canoes I worked on have been long term residents of the mid Atlantic region. It gets cold here, but nothing like further north, so the actual degree of cold may not be that much of a factor. And plenty of folks in the frigid northcountry seem to store their wood gunwale RX boats outside or in unheated areas, without backing out the screws and without problems.

So it is not just the cold, and it is not every canoe.

Why would some few RX canoes cold crack and many others, same make and model, stored in the same conditions, endure cold winters without any problem? I believe that beyond the usual RX and wood gunwale combination the root cause is an occasional manufacturing defect.

Quoted in the past tense, Royalex sheets were custom made in a process that combined sheets of vinyl, ABS, and foam and then vulcanized them together. The Royalex started out as a flat sheet, which was then thermo-formed. During heating, the core expanded, forming closed-cell flotation within the hull. At the proper temperature, the sheet was removed and placed on a platform, the mold is lowered on top of it, and the sheet was vacuum-drawn into the hull shape.

I think the important phrases are during heating, the core expands and at proper temperature. I had a Royalex canoe in the shop years ago in which I suspect at proper temperature was not achieved, the foam core never expanded sufficiently, and the vee hull bottom had all the rigidity of an inflatable.

My suspicion is that cold cracks are the result of some miscue during the manufacturing process. Not hot enough for long enough, too hot for too long, even some problem with the canoe being vacuum drawn into hull shape.

It seems like there was a lot that could go wrong in molding Royalex sheets, and a whopping load of RX boats were made. No surprise if the occasional hull escaped with hidden manufacturing defects.

I purchased a MR Explorer with wooden gunnels from a buddy of mine, came complete with repaired cold cracks. Story he gave was that canoe was stored "partially" underneath his deck, half the canoe was exposed to the sun, the other half was under the deck. On a typically cold Canadian morning, the sun came out and basically caused thermal expansion on the end of the canoe that was not covered by the deck resulting in cracks Make sense... it's not the cold that does it so to say but difference in expansion between the 2 materials ( wood / royalex). The end not exposed to the sunlight (warmth/expansion) was not effected but did experience the same "cold" temps.

Cracking is due to the different expansion rates of wood and Royalex
not the absolute temperature
thats why I had no problems with a gradual change in temp in my unheated garage but did outside
it can go from 60 in the sun to minus ten in four hours in the winter outside. That does not happen inside

Never seen any Rx boat with aluminum gunned crack. It is a wood gunnel/RX combination that is the problem!

I was curious so I looked up the coefficients ... according to one source (http://inspectapedia.com/exterior/Coefficients_of_Expansion.php)

0.0000410 ABS plastic
0.0000450 Vinyl
0.0000126 Aluminum
0.0000027 Wood, Oak, parallel to grain
all in in/in/degree F.

Royalex isn't just solid ABS, and gunnels aren't siding, but it should be in that neighborhood.

It is interesting that aluminum rails rarely if ever seem to cause the problem. I guess it's "close enough". Knock on wood (so to speak), I have an Rx/Al boat in my backyard.

Back