• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Codging 101 :)

I must admit this was a good little codge, the seat works nicely with the characteristics of the boat.
Its stable and comfortable and with a double blade I move the canoe just like a kayak.
Typically tho, a good vertical stroke gets you wet, lol.
Best of all, I laid out 0$ managing to repurpose a few odds and ends. Out of curiosity I had to call my lil sister and see if she remembered how much Mom said that cushion was ... get this ... 680$
So apparently I now have a 700$+ canoe seat :)

Attachments

• photo12432.jpg
    photo12432.jpg
    340.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I am very happy with the kayak style seat cushion and the way the little pack canoe handles now.
Especially since I installed a forward thwart made from the aluminum ergonomic handle snow shovel I broke last winter. It gives my feet purchase to the boat and power to the paddle. But it's a poor position for fishin'. In order to get up off the bottom of the canoe ... ( I needed a different canoe) ;)
but I'll work with what I have. More initial stability was the order of the day. Started looking at sponsons and outrigger systems for fishing platforms.
Came across the Wingman Outdoors system and watched the way it performed on the promo vids.
I was impressed, but it was way more than the little boat could deal with. I loved the idea of the coolers, ultrabouyant incredibly tough pontoons with insulated storage. I tied on my codger's cap and set to hunting down the parts for my scaled down version.

Howdy folks! Well my search was rewarding. I had some 3/4" square aluminum balusters for a railing salvaged from a job a few years back. Some nice oak slats from the kids bunk beds, and a couple of leftover cedar fence boards out of the wood bin. I found a pair of coolers in the clearance bin for a good price. They were in with all the other Canada Day leftovers. I picked a spot on the bow that promised good compromise between trim and functionality. Made some measurements and started to fab up a deck using the balusters, oak and cedar

Attachments

• photo12490.jpg
    photo12490.jpg
    273.4 KB · Views: 0
Some of the oak slats had the kids graffiti on it. I left it intact for posterity. Lol

Attachments

• photo12491.jpg
    photo12491.jpg
    281 KB · Views: 0
Everything got a nice treatment of teak oil and I'm diggin the look

Attachments

• photo12492.jpg
    photo12492.jpg
    347.6 KB · Views: 0
Fabricated arms for the pontoons from the aluminum tube. Simple gussets of checkerplate aluminum riveted in place hold everything to support the coolers.

Attachments

• photo12493.jpg
    photo12493.jpg
    288.9 KB · Views: 0
The arms slide into a channel formed by the oak under structure of the deck. All the major bearing points are carried by the oak pieces. These also form a wedge that locks the corners of the deck between the gunnels

Attachments

• photo12494.jpg
    photo12494.jpg
    285.6 KB · Views: 0
It all breaks down into a light packable kit ...
that fits inside the van ;)

Attachments

• photo12374.jpg
    photo12374.jpg
    392.3 KB · Views: 0
The deck recieved the teak oil treatment and the coolers got a camo job. All set for some fishing and maybe a little duck hunting with the son in law.
Its amazing how much more stable the canoe is now

Attachments

• photo12495.jpg
    photo12495.jpg
    345.5 KB · Views: 1
As a big bonus my kneeling saddle is now very usable. As is my nice Whiskey Jack paddle.
The outrigger doesn't interfere with my strokes much. Lol my ring rust is much more noticeable, but a little more water time will solve this.

Attachments

• photo12373.jpg
    photo12373.jpg
    272.5 KB · Views: 1
Back