• Happy National Nurses Day! 🛌👩‍⚕💉💊🎉

Christmas Canoe Gifts

Reaction score
I got one gift but for me it is the best one ever. It came from Rollin Thurlow in Maine.

It is a set of plans for the 17 foot B.N. Morris, circa 1908. These could produce a boat identical to the Morris we have out in the boathouse, since it's vintage was between 1905 and 1909.

There are 8 pages in the set, covering wood/canvas including what is necessary to build a mould for the ribbed version. Also a set complete with full size station mould drawings to build a stripper, And, plans to build a rib and plank version.

Also in the tube was the Morris catalogue from the time as it has details the plans don't.

Click image for larger version  Name:	BN Morris Plans .001.jpg Views:	1 Size:	369.3 KB ID:	75016Click image for larger version  Name:	BN Morris Plans .002.jpg Views:	1 Size:	395.7 KB ID:	75017
Click image for larger version  Name:	BN Morris Plans .003.jpg Views:	1 Size:	277.0 KB ID:	75018

And the stripper version
Click image for larger version  Name:	BN Morris Plans .004.jpg Views:	1 Size:	295.3 KB ID:	75019

Which one are you going to build? Or is this for reference for your existing boat. Also, why are there so many station molds for the stripper version? I count 10 for each end. Do those plans call for less than a 12" spacing? Or maybe the plans are for varying the length of the canoe?

Mark

It is definitely an excellent reference for the existing Morris, the amount of detail is fantastic. We may build the stripper version but we have a few boats to do before then and Christy wants her own Jacks Special for a solo first. I don't know when I will get back to the Morris and it will take a year I figure to do it right and I will learn a lot doing it.

9" spacing on the station molds.

Somebody way smarter than me once said beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I like that, because the way I see it, that permits me my own personal view of what is fine to behold and what is less so. My walls at home are covered with what I consider beautiful and pleasing to my eye. That includes maps. And if I were in possession of canoe plans those would most definitely find a place on a wall (or perhaps copies of the originals). Nice canoe gift Mihun. Beautiful.

We have an extra set of plans we could send you Brad. I'll check with the wife first though.

Thanks friend; we'd love to visit you two someday, and see them on your walls. But thank you very much sincerely. You are too generous.
I have a couple maps hung up, one of which is constantly off the wall and on the table for imaginary planning purposes. I also gave an historic city map copy to our son (who is a GIS tech guy, so he loves maps too), and I miss tracing my walks through that city and remembering what I saw. On a topo of my childhood countryside hung on the wall, I retrace walks and farm lane bike rides and recall sepia toned memories, foolish old guy that I am. Are plans like that? Do you builders and restorers trace with your fingers along schematics and follow with your eyes, remembering past projects? Oops, that station gave me trouble; my scarfe joint there should've been moved down a few inches more, my decks worked out better than the plans...

Back