• Happy National Audubon Day! 🐣🐦🦅🕊️

Chesuncook Lake: Tour de Gero

Reaction score
I've been enjoying the various trip reports here, so I thought I would write up the short solo trip I took last weekend. I only had a one night kitchen pass, but I was in the mood to put some miles on the odometer, so I decided to head up to Chesuncook Lake in northern Maine, just south of the Allagash Wilderness Waterway. It's about two hours drive from home for me, so close enough for a weekend trip.

Chesuncook is a really big lake, around 20 miles long, and when the wind is bad it's totally uncanoeable. However, the forecast for the weekend was for benign conditions (more on that later). The usual access is at the south end of the lake, and there's a large island (Gero) at the north end with several campsites. My plan was to paddle up to Gero and camp there Saturday night, then paddle around it and back down the lake on Sunday.

The landing on Chesuncook is about as far northwest as you can go in Maine without passing a North Maine Woods checkpoint (and coughing up a few extra shekels). For this trip, the only cost was $6.54 for a night of camping in the Penobscot River Corridor. Cheap date. Dirt colored Subaru not included.

chesuncook_1.jpg

I got on the water about 10:15am. Just as I was leaving a party of a dozen or so teenagers was coming in, presumably from a West Branch trip. I actually saw very few people on the water, and only one of the ten or so campsites I passed was full. Where was everybody, on a sunny weekend in July? I'd been worried that I'd get up to the top of the lake and not be able to find a campsite, but in the end there was plenty of space.

For the first couple hours the lake was amazingly smooth. One motorboat passed, headed north in the middle of the lake, and it seemed to take forever for its wake to reach me. I generally followed the eastern shore, but I could have crossed the lake without concern. I stopped on Mouser Island for an early lunch (only 1 of 3 campsites taken).

The wind gradually picked up, and by the time I passed Weymouth Point there was a significant headwind and some middling waves, but I was full of beans and happy to be working my way up the lake.

chesuncook_2.jpg

By the time I reached the open area south of Gero the waves were high enough that I didn't want to take the direct route, a crossing of about 1.5 miles, so instead I cut east across Cuxabexis Cove to get a shorter crossing. Soon I was at the south end of Gero, and looking for a campsite (I was still worried about those hypothetical summer crowds). The southwest shore of Gero Island is a series of points and coves, and each point looked to me like it would make a nice campsite. After four or five small points, I got to Gero 4, found it unoccupied, and decided to camp there. Two sources (AMC Quiet Water and Frank Richards) had said all the campsites on Gero are great, so I didn't feel the need to shop around. It was only about 3pm, but I'd been going into the wind for hours and was ready to relax. It was too early for dinner, so I made some tea, pitched my tent, and played with my waterproof camera.

This is a still from me trying to figure out Robin's camera-on-a-paddle thing. It didn't occur to me until afterward that I had the camera aimed down the blade. Duh! So, please excuse the Carlisle beavertail in the foreground.

chesuncook_3.jpg

The campsite was indeed great, with a rocky deepwater port, a gravel beach, and tent pads looking out northwest toward Chesuncook Village and the setting sun. I had a simple dinner and retired early to my tent.

chesuncook_4.jpg

In the morning, I got on the water around 7:30 and headed north, intending to paddle around Gero clockwise. It had occurred to me that going around the island was adding ~7-8 miles to my trip, and while I was dilly dallying the wind would be building. But I wanted to go around the island, partly to overlap the route of a trip I made last summer when I camped at Longley Stream on my way up to Allagash Lake, and just for the general karma of circumnavigating something. For some reason a "lollipop" trip is better than a plain out and back. I also considered crossing over to Chesuncook Village to see if I could score a Circle K microwave burrito, but it was too early for lunch. So, around the island I went.

It was a quiet trip around the island and I turned down the main stem of the lake around 9:30. No moose, but one deer and two bald eagles. As expected, the wind strengthened as the day warmed up. I stopped at the long sandbar near Red Brook campsite for a snack. That would be a great place to swim, but I knew I needed to keep moving. Given the wind direction I figured Weymouth Point would be the main hurdle.

chesuncook_5.jpg

This was my ride for the trip, a beat up old Wenonah Jensen C1W, circa 1984. It's a hull designed for downriver racing, and this one had been breached and patched a number of times before I bought it (and, I admit, continued the abuse). It's not as light or as smooth as it once was, but it still has pretty good glide. However, it's hard to turn and kinda squirrelly in a tailwind.

The weather forecast was for a north wind, 5 to 7 mph, which would have been almost ideal. Of course big lakes make their own wind, so I figured I'd get more than 5 to 7, but I'd be following the favorable shore. However, as the day wore on the north wind was becoming more northwesterly, and given the orientation of Chesuncook, a NW wind is not a good thing. The shoreline I was following consisted of sandy coves and rocky points. I had to stay far enough "out to sea" that I could pass the points while holding a good angle to the waves, but I also wanted to be close enough to shore that I could bail if need be. By the time I got to Mouser Island the waves were at the edge of my comfort zone and I was glad to be able to take a break behind it. Past the outlet of Holmes Hole things got a bit more hairy and I pulled in behind some rocks to wait it out. It was amusing to be windbound less than two miles from my car, but so I was. Fortunately the wind wasn't constant, and after 15-20 minutes it moderated somewhat and I made a run for it. After another half a mile the shore was in the wind shadow of the peninsula to the West, reducing the fetch, and I was home free. I arrived at the boat landing around 2pm.

All in all a great short trip. I wasn't out very long, but I got a "wilderness reset", and some exercise. In hindsight, it might have been wiser to get an earlier start on Sunday, but whatevs. I'll definitely be back. Much more to explore in the area, including Pine Stream.

Nice write up, and good info on paddling the lake and the fee's. That's a great shot with the paddle, good idea on adding a selfie like that imo. Interesting and I think the reader gets a lot of info from that one type of shot.
Thanks, I enjoyed that.

Thanks for that very well written trip report on a nice short trip. I love Maine but those big windy lakes can be intimidating.

What kind of boat is that? Your paddle perch shot reveals that you could be about to execute a goon stroke, but it's fuzzy enough that you can credibly deny it.

Great pictures, I don't get to see a blue canoe too often! Good camo against the blue sky reflections in the water. Thanks for sharing your trip with us!

Thanks for that very well written trip report on a nice short trip. I love Maine but those big windy lakes can be intimidating.

What kind of boat is that? Your paddle perch shot reveals that you could be about to execute a goon stroke, but it's fuzzy enough that you can credibly deny it.

The boat is an '84 Wenonah C1W. It's meant for whitewater racing, so it's seaworthy but way tippy, definitely a keep your head between the gunwhales boat. 16' 6", no rocker. It's a hit and switch canoe, so really I neither goon nor J in it, but I was probably acting strange in the face of the camera. At least, that's my excuse ;).

Great pictures, I don't get to see a blue canoe too often! Good camo against the blue sky reflections in the water. Thanks for sharing your trip with us!

Thanks! I painted it this spring, and I wanted a color that wasn't the usual greens and reds. Rustoleum Sail Blue.

That's a long two days. Gero is some 17 miles from the State landing on Ripogenus
As far as blue canoes I was paddling down Chesuncook in a ripping headwind. Frequent breaks needed. At one I pulled out the camera and took a shot of the boat
For five years it's been the model DragonFly on the Colden canoe site
Same blue as yours. To Paul's chagrin I named it Katrina tarp blue. (I was in New Orleans quite a bit in the 18 months post Katrina

Last edited:
I read your Lobster Lake TR. I want to do that trip when I have enough time to enjoy the area. Aislinn in the BDN recently wrote up the trail to Lobster Mtn as a day paddle/hike, but it would be more fun to stay a while. Of course, the same could be said for Gero.

I haven't seen one of those Colden boats up close, but they look very well built, and that Dragonfly has great lines. My blue boat is a bit Frankenstein under the paint, best viewed from a distance.

Blue boats are faster because they ride on shorter wavelengths of light. This effect is much stronger than skin friction. Canoeing is all physics, really. A neat trick for paddling into the wind is to put on a pair of corduroy bell bottom trousers ...

Paddled the West Branch and Chesuncook Lake last summer with my three children and my 72 year old father. The West Branch was a beautiful relaxing trip despite the rain. Day one from Lobster stream to our first campsite "Ouellettes" it was a constant rain. Didn't seem to bother my HS children in the least bit. Once we arrived at camp and tarps set up it was fantastic to be warm and on the river. The epic difficultly of our trip was after camping on Gero 2 to head south for Allagash Gateway Campground. The SW wind "Headwind" created monster waves and made forward progress extremely difficult but almost futile. We have a new found respect for Chesuncook Lake and its mighty waters. We had to camp on the shore "No campsite" as we were not able to locate Sandy Point. Made for an interesting evening with wild animals sniffing all around the tent all night long. I would love to paddle Chesuncook again with more suitable conditions, but I would not wish upon my worst enemy having to paddle into a strong headwind on Chesuncook. 3-4 swells easily. Thanks for sharing your trip. I will add some photos when I get the chance.

This was a nice summer paddle to revisit on a winter's day, freezing rain and cruddy snow. I almost forgot what July looked like.

Last edited:
How exactly does the camera on a paddle thing work?

I don't have a picture since the camera itself is camera shy, but the idea is to take an action camera (GoPro or similar) and use a "handlebar mount" to attach it to a paddle shaft, then leave it on the water recording while you paddle around. I got the idea from one of Robin's youtube videos. A straight shaft wooden paddle is best, bent composites tend to flip over with the weight of the camera. Most canoe trip photos are shot either from the paddler's hands, a thwart or a point on shore, so the floating paddle perspective gives some welcome variety.

Paddled the West Branch and Chesuncook Lake last summer with my three children and my 72 year old father. The West Branch was a beautiful relaxing trip despite the rain. Day one from Lobster stream to our first campsite "Ouellettes" it was a constant rain. Didn't seem to bother my HS children in the least bit. Once we arrived at camp and tarps set up it was fantastic to be warm and on the river. The epic difficultly of our trip was after camping on Gero 2 to head south for Allagash Gateway Campground. The SW wind "Headwind" created monster waves and made forward progress extremely difficult but almost futile. We have a new found respect for Chesuncook Lake and its mighty waters. We had to camp on the shore "No campsite" as we were not able to locate Sandy Point. Made for an interesting evening with wild animals sniffing all around the tent all night long. I would love to paddle Chesuncook again with more suitable conditions, but I would not wish upon my worst enemy having to paddle into a strong headwind on Chesuncook. 3-4 swells easily. Thanks for sharing your trip. I will add some photos when I get the chance.

Beautiful country up there (post your photos!). Not totally wild, but wild enough. Someone in this forum said Sandy Point has gone downhill due to road access, so your "undesignated" site was probably a better option in any case.

I know what you mean about those SW winds. There's that stretch where the channel to Caribou Lake provides an extra few miles of fetch, and even on a nearly calm day it can whip things up. Caribou Lake itself is 7 miles long. From Gero, unless you leave at dawn, you tend to pass that stretch in the afternoon.

chesuncook_ssw_wind.jpg

Granted I was never there before, but I was at Sandy Point in September and it seemed fine to me.

That's good to know. I've only paddled by it, never checked it out. It is part of the Penobscot River Corridor, so maybe the rangers fixed it up recently.

Thanks for the Chesuncook trip report, I’ve been pondering doing something similar for a few years, and your report has me looking at maps and dreaming. I enjoyed Losbter Lake and the WB Penobscot, but doing a lake trip on Chesuncook would logistically simpler.

Not as an overnighter. The west end of Chesuncook is big enough to keep me occupied for several days with base camp layovers and day paddling.

I know what you mean about the waves on Chesuncook quickly exceeding comfort level. We strategically planned our Chesuncook route out on a two canoe family trip, laying over at Sandy Point and beating feet across the narrow part of the lake to Weymouth Point early in the morning.

That worked well enough to get us across, but as we paddled downlake the wind picked up from the NW and we were soon beyond our comfort zone and shipping water over the gunwales. We had to put ashore, within sight of the lake out, to wait it out. A wait which took the rest of the morning and most of the afternoon. We probably shouldn’t have left even then, the last mile before we turned the point into Ripogenus was still daunting, but dammit we could see our van.

A multi-day Chesuncook explore would be ideal for one of the decked canoes with a sail. I’d probably even have time for a Circle K burrito.

A Luxury Chesuncook outing
Stay at the almost in business again Chesuncook Lake House or Boom House if you are cheap
Paddle sail around Gero up Black Pond. A considerable big pond that is. Romp around Chesuncook and avoid that overbeaten Mouser Island
Yiou can launch from Graveyard Point

Goonstroke just realized your post so here are a few pictures. Nothing great and no photos of the Washing Machine (Chesuncook Lake) that we experienced last year. We were too tired to even think about photography on Chesuncook. This was my daughters first paddling experience and we tripped from Lobster Trip to Allagash Gateway Campground where we had parked our vehicle and were shuttled to Lobster Trip. Pistol Pete (My father) has done every WW trip in Maine in the very same Tripper that you see him paddling in the pictures. Luckily my daughters were not permanently scarred by the heavy rain and everything else that went along with their introductory trip on the West Branch . I figured I would choose a nice flatwater experience for them but mother nature had other ideas to make our trip extremely interesting. Believe it or not they want to do it again this summer as the Allagash has been planned for the 3rd week in June. Same crew without the Grumman. We had to borrow this boat for this trip and It was a beast on Chesuncook and handled the lake very well but in all reality Chesuncook took it to us with all her mighty. Very proud of the execution of my children during extremely difficult conditions that we were caught up in. I have a ton of respect for the 17' Grumman but not the most practical boat. Also joining us on the Allagash will be my cousin and his son driving all the way from Cali. Going to be a great trip especially since my oldest will be heading off to college next year. Still have another year with my youngest daughter and my son is my most loyal Wilderness tripper. We have many trips that we wish to make reality. Hopefully we can continue building our memories and not let LIFE get in the way too much.

Attachments

• photo11400.jpg
    photo11400.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 1
  • photo11401.jpg
    photo11401.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 1
  • photo11402.jpg
    photo11402.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 1
  • photo11403.jpg
    photo11403.jpg