• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Chestnut Chum Restoration or is it a Chestnut "Doe"

I wove 2 seats last winter for the first time and was glad I did. It was fun, satisfying and a useful skill to learn. I'd recommend practicing on a small test panel first to get a feel for materials.

You have a really nice project underway and I'm enjoying following along. Thanks for posting your progress. Good work!
Can't hurt to learn something new. I will adventure into the weaving world when the time comes and see how I do. First I believe I need to rebuild the seats. Without taking the seats apart I believe that dry rot has taken over. I will know more when I actually do take them apart. I must admit that taking on the weaving is going to require a few youtube videos and perhaps a few good articles and books on exactly how to do it. "This Old Canoe" seems to touch on this decently. I will start there. Thanks for the kind words RickR!

I've weaved 5 seats so far. One I busted the frame, learning curve. I followed GilPatrick's book. I used the imitation cane on them and figured out that I had to weave them loose. More comfortable that way. Natural cane should stretch some. I enjoyed the weaving. I could sit and watch TV while I did it.

Your canoe is looking good.

Well, admittedly I did not do a very good job of updating Canoetripping with my project. I also did not film all that much. I had taken plenty of photos and there were enough video clips that I was able to put together a short Youtube video from the day I acquired the canoe until most recently when I completed the restoration. I am happy with the results. In a recent conversation with Patrick Corry we both blame Robin Lauer for our new expensive hobbies. Here is the link:

Wow, not sure how I missed this thread, awesome job! On the seat question.....I had found an old chestnut that had been fiberglassed over. I think it was a pal, but hard to tell. The interior was still original, and the seats were wooden slats. I was told that these were options for bush canoes, because they never needed maintenance. They were bolted directly to the gunwales as well.

I really liked those slat seats, found them quite comfortable, and they were always dry too, and actually quite light.

I am happy with the results. In a recent conversation with Patrick Corry we both blame Robin Lauer for our new expensive hobbies
Haha, if I had some small part in starting the fire I’ll take the credit, you have both done some really nice work. I hope you enjoy them as much as I do mine.

Mem,

My Pal has the slat seats.
You're right about them being dry and comfortable especially when leaning. Mine are attached to the gunwales with hangers/spacers though; bolted directly to the gunwale would give a very high centre of gravity wouldn't it?

BruceSlat seats.jpg

Wow, not sure how I missed this thread, awesome job! On the seat question.....I had found an old chestnut that had been fiberglassed over. I think it was a pal, but hard to tell. The interior was still original, and the seats were wooden slats. I was told that these were options for bush canoes, because they never needed maintenance. They were bolted directly to the gunwales as well.

I really liked those slat seats, found them quite comfortable, and they were always dry too, and actually quite light.
Thanks Rob. Appreciate it. Looking forward to seeing if she floats. However it will not be this weekend like I thought it might....winds will be much too strong for my target destinations.

Mem,

My Pal has the slat seats.
You're right about them being dry and comfortable especially when leaning. Mine are attached to the gunwales with hangers/spacers though; bolted directly to the gunwale would give a very high centre of gravity wouldn't it?

BruceView attachment 132462
Slat seats sure seem like they make a lot of sense.

Back