• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Cell Phone Cameras???

Reaction score
In the past, I have posted some information on cameras and binoculars. Some replies indicated that some cell phones have excellent cameras? And some have a zoom feature so you don't need a binoculars? And there is an attachment so you are looking at an actual screen, ie not peering through a tiny hole as you would on a film camera or binoculars? I don't even know what that is called.

I probably have to buy a new cell phone and before I spend $1000 now (for a phone???) and would like some information on which have binocular attachments and camera screen attachments, etc.

What have you used? What features do you like? Thank you.

Erica

8B8249DC-9755-4E9C-B388-9C2C8187F9C0.jpeg I phone 11 pro
No it does not sub for binocs
It has a moderate zoom
optical
digital much more but the shake to try and get a bird at 300 feet is too much
Good for a. always have with you camera
The screen is about 6.5 in on the diagonal
No tiny hole
I dont use it for animals even though I can use it as a manual camera via an app

Its my always with me camera for when I dont need a tripod or image stabilization
E18E7A91-D467-4677-B5E3-3D8CD024880F.jpeg

Stunning photos, yellow canoe. WOW!

Is it a an iphone 11 or phone 11 Pro?

Can't comment on the camera features, but check gizmotrader.com before you spend a grand on a new phone.

Erica,

First off, if you are not opposed to using AT&T as your carrier, check them out for new iPhones. My wife just bought an 11 and is telling me there is a terrific promotion, ending today, I think, under which she is getting an 11 for what works out to be $500 or so. I think she said the promo ends today, so don't delay.

Secondly, being an old guy still using an old phone, I probably have no business giving advice on a modern device. However, my hiking buddy is into taking photos with his Samsung, and to my untrained eye, he gets great results. He sometimes uses clip-on attachment lenses. It looks gimmicky as all get out, but again, he gets some great results. You can search on Amazon for phone camera attachments and see there is quite an array of lenses you can use, including "long" lenses that offer 30x mag. The long lenses are usually shown with the phone held in a phone-grabbing tripod you buy with the lens.

Good luck and I look forward to seeing the photographic results.

Samsung 10
Ph8T16F.jpg

I might not bother taking camera on trips anymore. Plus the video is pretty good too, and it has 120 gig internal storage, plus I put a 60 gig card in it.........that's a whole lot of video and pics.

I have a Samsung S10. It has 3 forward facing cameras and 2 rear facing cameras. 20 meg, close up and 20 to 30 feet away pictures are best. Longer range photos aren't bad either.
20190909_132426.jpg

Attachments

• 20200429_132608.jpg
    20200429_132608.jpg
    347.4 KB · Views: 0
Thank you, all. Some great photos here.

Chip, unfortunately for us, the only company with coverage where I live is Verizon. I'd love to change, but can't get a signal, even with a booster.

Clemency, thanks for the information on gizmotrader.com. Looks like a useful link.

Erica

Thank you, all. Some great photos here.

Chip, unfortunately for us, the only company with coverage where I live is Verizon. I'd love to change, but can't get a signal, even with a booster.

There are other companies that use their network. Straight talk is one. Used them for a lot of years and was very happy. Hated being with Verizon before that as their local store is horrible.

Recently switched to Republic Wireless and am unsure what networks they use. I wanted a smartphone but no data so it's talk and text only unless I have wi-fi. Cost is less than $15/month. So far so good.

Alan

The cameras on the latest generation of phones are simply amazing! But for telephoto images of wildlife, a stand alone digital is the thing you want.

Thanks, Alan. I googled "cell phone companies using Verizon network" and there are six and all are substantially lower in cost than our Verizon plan. A real lead. Thank you!

I currently own an Olympus p&s digital camera, it is weatherproof and reasonably foolproof but not idiot-proof. Hence my inconsistent results. At least it is water/dust/drop proof. My slightly outdated cell phone OTOH (a Samsung J something) gives me pretty good pics without fail. I'm beginning to prefer this new gimmick. And I'm not alone. heck, just the other day I was cycling past a field of workers tending market flowers and veg and saw a couple of them leaning back from one another beside the flatbed trailer pointing cell phones at each other. "Sonreír!" Cool I thought.
I am due a cell upgrade soon so I can handle loading some map apps. About time. And who knows how much better and easier photos will be. They may not replace a digital slr but they sure can compliment whatever other functions you wish to have at your fingertips.

I use a Motorola G7 Power. Bought an unlocked Verizon one at Best Buy (I think) for about $200. Scenery comes out great IMG_20190924_181906146_HDR.jpg

but moving shots leave something to be desired
IMG_20200629_202018859.jpg

and even still pictures sometimes focus on whatever they want instead of the subject intended.
IMG_20200703_085324397.jpg
with battery life approaching 3 days (w/ moderate use) I love it as a "always on me" camera but I'm looking for an actual, pocket-sized, camera to avoid blurry pics that would otherwise be really cool.

There are reviews out there stating that phone cameras' picture quality can outperform dedicated point-and-shoots... myself I prefer a more compact waterproof P&S (also using an Olympus waterproof that's been subject to some bashing that the phone might not have survived).

The phone just isn't as comfortable to use and carry so it doesn't get much use for photos. Others OTOH are comfortable with phones so have made the switch with great results.

Here's a thread from myccr that describes use in canoes and campsites... JJ's blog in the first post includes some good points including the ability to shoot in RAW for better picture quality if you want to go that far with it.

https://www.myccr.com/phpbbforum/viewtopic.php?f=151&t=46970

With binoculars, IMHO nothing will replace the image quality that full-size binos can provide (eg. 10x42s)... quality has improved a lot in the last few years and $200 and over will provide views that no camera or phone can equal.... well worth the cost and weight if time's being spent looking around. I spend more time with binos than with cameras looking at birds and landscapes, subjects that often result in pretty boring photos but worth checking out in detail just for the ability to see things so much more clearly.

Anyway, good luck, probably an idea to read some reviews before buying.

I don't have a smart phone at all, I'm still rocking a Samsung flip phone purchased in 2014 on a pay as I go plan. For photo's I have a Nikon D3200 DSLR, for video it is a pair of GoPro Hero 4's and for every day stuff a Canon Elph 150 IS P&S.

To each their own.

Gamma you can focus with your phone.. If you press your finger on the subject during framing it ought to auto lock for exposure and focus. I use a app called Moment to really bring my phone into DSLR mode. Shutter speed and exposure and ISO can be individually manipulated. Moment is a $5.99 app.

But the focus and exposure adjustment does not require an app.. There is a lot more in your phone that is not apparent at first glance.
This is from my IP 11 Pro IMG_3110 (1).JPG

Not only do I have multiple canoes I have multiple cameras. The I phone, a Canon SX70 HS that I use for wildlife from the canoe and a Canon MarkII 6d with several kind of pricey lenses!

Back