• Happy International Museum Day!🏛️ 🖼️🏺

Cedar strip wannigan

Reaction score
This project was inspired by another thread on this forum.

I should have taken more pictures along the way, but I didn't.

I made the forms to mirror the hull on the stripper.

I'm not even close to being done, but here are a few pictures.

Attachments

• photo6542.jpg
    photo6542.jpg
    275.8 KB · Views: 2
  • photo6543.jpg
    photo6543.jpg
    225.6 KB · Views: 2
  • photo6544.jpg
    photo6544.jpg
    244.4 KB · Views: 2
I started it before I pulled the stripper from the forms, so I made two new ones and trimmed 1" off the sheer so it will fit under the gunwales.

No Title

Sven- That looks great.
I did something similar a couple of weeks ago but it sure doesn't look as fancy as yours. It isn't finished yet- trying different shellac/varnish combinations to seal it.
Had some scraps of cedar and wanted to try steaming "ribs". For first attempt, I'm happy and sure hope it fits my Pal! ( being re-canvassed so haven't test fit yet!).
Bruce

Attachments

• photo6550.jpg
    photo6550.jpg
    187.6 KB · Views: 5
Thanks for the compliments.

Pook,
I like yours as well. I'm guessing yours is a little more heavy duty than mine will be.
I would like to experiment with steam bending some day.
I made mine from 1/4 inch strips, and it will eventually be fiberglassed just like the canoe is. I like to consider it matching luggage.

Those pics are making me want to give it a try... would it be wrong to put a wood strip wannigan into a royalex canoe? Lol

Jason

No Title

About 9 years ago, just after I had my first canoe trip in Manitoba and then bought the Mattawa, upon returning to Ontario I built this over that Winter. It was designed as, well, a cooler. It is lined with pink foam and would keep frozen milk bottles of water cold for 4 days. Never tried it with dry ice but it would likely work better. We took it out once and it was a pig to portage so now it sits gathering dust.

Attachments

• photo6551.jpg
    photo6551.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 2
Love the name and graphics
I have a feeling I I won't want to portage the thing when loaded. I will use it for base camping and might outfit it as a cooler like you did and use it at home as well.
Gotta keep the beer cold.

Last edited:
No, I just glassed the outside. If whatever you are using to cool with is contained, it shouldn't get wet inside. I have little rubber feet on the bottom to keep it out of the bilge water should there be any. It fits snugly into my Swift. I never really figured out how to close and carry, so I buried some nuts in the ends and used opened eye bolts to hold the lids down and ran ropes through to create a handle. It was pretty slick at the time. It is looking pretty sad these days though.

Karin

Mihun- love the "cool" graphics and name!

I too am stumped on how to close and secure the top. And also how to lift it in and out of canoe- it doesn't yet have handles. I was thinking rope but that may involve putting holes in the sides- ideas?
As this thing has developed it has turned out more like a floating picnic basket and table than a true Wanigan - not that there is anything wrong with that! I don't imagine humping it through the bush...

Bruce

Back