• Happy National Zipper Day (pat. 1913)! 🤐

Cedar River via Unknown Pond

Reaction score
The plan was to bypass a rough section of the Cedar by carrying to Unknown pond and bushwhacking from the outflow back to the Cedar. If the roads were open to the north, we also would have tried a through trip, exiting via the Essex Chain Lakes.

cedar%2520river%2520to%2520essex%2520chain.jpg

We put in at the Benton Rd site, the former Indian Lake town beach, we even met the 84 year old former lifeguard!

DSC_4027.JPG

We paddled downstream to the Unknown Pond trail crossing, views back upstream were dominated by Snowy Mt. The trail to unknown was 1.5 miles of blowdown and deadfall, and plenty of up and down. Two of us old men went ahead with just backpacks and cleared the way. As the rest of the gang followed with their gear and boats, we 2 old men returned for my buddy's 54 lb wood strip comp cruiser.

A quick paddle down the beaver swollen (thanks, beavers) outflow brought us to an 8 ft tall and 150 long beaver dam.

DSC_4057.JPG

I took a compass reading and we headed NNE through the brush to intersect the Cedar River. There were many spruce thickets an several fens to avoid in the .25 mile straight line distance. There is no trail and no evidence of prior travel by humans, but there was much moose sign.

DSC_4087.JPG

We arrived at the banks of the Cedar River in between the 1st and 2nd rapids downstream from Elm Island. We made camp in a cedar grove. Views downstream were dominated by Dun Brook Mt.

DSC_4062.JPG

Try as we might, we couldn't manage to find a way to negotiate the 3rd set of rapids...the problems being multiple: flat water hulls that don't turn well, wooden boats, water too cold to line on a return trips, shore too dense to comfortably carry back upstream, current too strong for upstream return.

DSC_4119.JPG

So we played and stayed between sets of rapids...weather was perfect and it was too soon for black flies!!

DSC_4104.JPG

DSC_4117.JPG

Return trip a few days later tracing the same route...

DSC_4188.JPG

Views were a bit better SW when we paddled the outflow of Unkown Pond, with Panther Mt filling the horizon.

DSC_4190.JPG

And that was that! We would have preferred a longer bunch of paddling, but this is what we do...go in places where others rarely travel. There's no substitute for boots on the ground and paddle in the water recon. A return could be feasible in higher water with different boats, or in warmer water (to allow lining) as a through trip to the Essex Chain Lakes. The route still has potential to become a classic canoe route, but carry trails would need to be DEC approved and cut.

Cool trip !
Looks like you'll have to build a whitewater stripper to negotiate those rapids ! ;)

I'm shameless ! Anything to get you to build another boat. :rolleyes:

Jim

Actually...we met this russian dude that I "know" from another forum. He paddled the entire length of the Cedar in an inflatable kayak. To hear him tell the story, there is no better suited boat. At the end of his trip (take out on the Hudson) he has to hump his gear and his boat back to the put in...about 8 miles. That kayak weighs 25 lbs and is nearly indestructible! I do have a solo royalex Mohawk XL13 for whitewater, but I couldn't carry it very far. And my Kite is built strong and has plenty of volume and flare. Maybe I'll bring that next time.

I am planning to build another couple of boats. I need to replace my crushed 17 ft tandem, my son wants the same hull, and I plan to build a lighter Kite too.

Thanks for scouting this one out. Looks like some fun options to check out. Does it look like Unknown Pond gets much activity during the season?

There was a stashed row boat on Unknown when we carried in...it was moved or gone when we came back through on Sunday. We met the gent that might lay claim to it along the trail, he had some oars strapped to his case of Genny. We saw him out on the pond with a fishing pole on Friday.
On the opposite side of the beaver dam (at the end of Unknown Pond trail) and up in the woods a bit was a primitive campsite, fairly small. There were a few fisherman paths on the south side of the pond, but little flat ground for a tent. I think I remember Justin saying that Unknown doesn't get much traffic, we picked up and cleared much deadfall on the way in. From the look of the trail, I'd say it gets very little use. Probably due to the fact that there is no dry way for a hiker to get to the north side of the trail...a hiker would need to swim or wade across. (water was sub 40 F last week)
Unknown itself, and the beaver swollen outflow have some nice, secluded paddling, and good views. A bushwhack up Ledger Mt looks to be pretty straightforward, directly from Unknown. There are some cliff faces and open rock that would offer good views to the NW.

I still think a through trip is feasible (MDB says I'm a glutton for punishment) to the Essex Chain Lakes. With a lightweight boat (you have Blackjacks, right?) the carry to Unknown would be cake. Likewise with the shortcut from Unknown outflow to that big kink on the Cedar. BTW, half of our gang came directly back SW from Cedar River, the other half whacked up the outlet of the outflow. Consensus was that the outlet was easier than the direct bushwhack.
It does look like that outflow will get vegetation filled as the season progresses, but satellite views show a clear but small channel remains throughout the summer. I think the Cedar could be a great summer paddling site, but only by circumventing those bony sections between Pashley Falls and Elm Island.

Back