• Happy National Audubon Day! 🐣🐦🦅🕊️

Carbon seat repair?

Reaction score
Hello everyone.
I have cracked the removable seat in my Swift Keewaydin 15 solo boat.
A moment of lost balance attempting to shimmy under a low foot bridge, coupled with the desire not to fall into murky swamp water, I fell back on the seat and cracked the front support. The top and sides are cracked with the bottom of the box structure still holding everything together.
Do any of you have advise for repairing this? Is it worth it structurally to even try? It would be the main weightbearing part I lean on for kneeling.
I was thinking of pulling the webbing off, wrapping a layer or two of CF around it and calling that done.
Thoughts??
Thanks very much.
Paul

Keewaydin 15 cracked seat bottom.jpgKeewaydin 15 cracked seat top.jpgKeewaydin 15 cracked seat.jpg

I have never done it myself. But I have seen people take carbon tape and repair carbon paddle shafts. Wrap it tight around the break. I have used them after the repair and feel just as strong. I wouldn't see why you could not soak some maybe 1.5"-2" wide tape and tightly wrap it around followed by some peelply. Or at least that's what I would try and do.

I have never done it myself. But I have seen people take carbon tape and repair carbon paddle shafts. Wrap it tight around the break. I have used them after the repair and feel just as strong. I wouldn't see why you could not soak some maybe 1.5"-2" wide tape and tightly wrap it around followed by some peelply. Or at least that's what I would try and do.
Thanks Clint.
I'll give it a whirl once I get back home.
Any thoughts on the staples holding the webbing on? I'm surprised Swift would use them but they seem to work pretty well.

I am surprised with the staples also. I wonder what substrate they are holding into? First thought would be some epoxy, screws or snaps. But I have not worked with that before.

Contact Swift?
I had. New one they said. Thought I'd try reducing waste first with a repair.
It's not as if a seat is a trip ending structural piece if any repair I make doesn't hold.
I might go with a cherry replacement to get a bit of nature back in to a fully plastic boat.

Back