• Happy National Paranormal Day! 🔮👻👽

Carbon Fiber Nokomis

Sometimes, I think it's the mistakes I make, that keeps me going !

Cloth being too short....I hear ya there. I'm pretty sure my tape measure is broken. Every time I measure and cut the cloth it's about 1 1/2' too short once I put in on the boat. So I splice on a short piece and deal with the seam.

Or the extra 5 yard roll of carbon fiber I ordered while it was on sale. Why the heck did I order a 5 yard roll? I don't build 15' boats. What the heck am I going to do with a 15' long piece of cloth?

I forgot to trim my carbon fiber ahead of time the first time I used it to. Kicked myself when I realized how much I'd wasted.

But the boat is looking great. Cloth seems to be going on well. Will you get the final layer on tomorrow? Why peel ply at the stems? Looks like you're doing it differently than last time. Planning to cut the stems open later for removal?

Thanks for sharing the mistakes. We all learn much quicker from them.

Alan

But the boat is looking great. Cloth seems to be going on well. Will you get the final layer on tomorrow? Why peel ply at the stems? Looks like you're doing it differently than last time. Planning to cut the stems open later for removal?

Thanks for sharing the mistakes. We all learn much quicker from them.

Alan

I must have been out in Left Field when I ordered Kevlar ! It won't happen again ! Lesson learned !

Just about to head out now to do the S-glass layer. I have some Fast hardener for it. Then in a few hours, I'll be laying on fill coats.

I used the Peel Ply, just to smooth the stems. And yes I'll cut The stems open on CF Nokomis, and pull her off the back of Nokomis.

Boy this has been fun !!!

Jim

Last edited:
Trimmed 9 oz S-glass. I know it's not meant for clear coating, that's why it's jut up to the 4" waterline. I mark a series of dots, and just trim dot to dot.
IMG_0820_zpsgdcfgovz.jpg

IMG_0821_zpsw4rltfyv.jpg

I get by with this on E-glass, but the 9 oz isn't going to let me by. I'm hoping the rings at least fade away a little. Time will tell.

IMG_0828_zpsqihonspk.jpg

going to the shop in about an hour to roll on last fill coat.

Jim

Last fill coat on. It took three.

I'll probably slice the ends open, before things get real hard,, and scrape a little, then just leave it a week or two, until I can get outside and sand.
Not happy about the S-glass, but I can always paint it. Beings it's black, it might not be a bad idea.
IMG_0835_zpsfrgg9ymt.jpg

Jim

Awesome. Looks great!

Maybe it needs a graphite bottom to hide the s-glass.

How did you do the ends? Did you wrap them? Can't see the overlap from here.

You're more optimistic than me about getting outside to sand in a couple weeks. :rolleyes:

Alan

Awesome. Looks great!

Maybe it needs a graphite bottom to hide the s-glass.

How did you do the ends? Did you wrap them? Can't see the overlap from here.

You're more optimistic than me about getting outside to sand in a couple weeks. :rolleyes:

Alan

Graphite is a thought, it has it's merits, but down falls too.

I didn't really wrap the ends. Thinking about using Black Polyester fleece inside and out on the stems.

They are predicting a BIG snow storm in our future. Time will tell !

Keep at it !

Jim

Worked today, but soon as I punched out, I headed for the shop. Scraping is best down at about 24 hrs after the last application of fill coats ! I feathered the S-glass easily with my trusty carbide scraper.

The resin is still quite soft, and worried about getting the hull off the mold, I cut the stem seams, and the hull lifted right off the window film.

I can at least sleep tonight !

Jim

I escaped to the shop yesterday afternoon, and took advantage of the reasonable weather to sand.
In 3 hrs I had CF Nokomis ready to pull off of Nokomis.
Like peeling egg shells off a hard boiled egg.
Still quite flimsy, so I guess I'll add more cloth at least to the sides, as well as a cedar insert in the bottom.
Here's a few pics.
IMG_0865_zps7nsgyrka.jpg

IMG_0868_zpsahkm4tty.jpg

IMG_0867_zpse3u1qxwr.jpg

Jim

Need to order more Kevlar for the inside.
Express Composites has me spoiled. Their delivery time is unbelievably fast !
Thanks Alan for the heads up !

Jim

That worked out pretty spiffy. I like the idea of using one boat as a plug for the other. Infinite possibilities.

Christy

WOW ! I had to go back 5 pages to locate this Old Thread.
I've been trying to clean up the shop, so I can get back on track !

​ I managed to cut strips for the insert on CF Nokomis, from a couple of 14' WRC planks. I know I threw away at least half the planks in sawdust !

​ The strips measured .125-.130" thick. This should provide plenty of stiffness with all the plys of composite material, I already have laid up.
No pics as Photobucket is acting up. Hopefully later.

Jim

Plan is to lay 4 oz E-glass on and wet out. I will let it set, then apply 5 oz Kevlar. Next will go 5 oz Carbon Fiber. A layer of 6 oz E-glass. Lastly a 9 oz layer of S-glass to about the 3 or 4" waterline.

I'm thinking if I'm not happy with the stiffness, I can apply more layers ( I'm sure I will), to the inside.

Any thoughts on my madness ?

Jim

Jim - is this what you went with? We have been laying up our hulls with 6oz glass, 5.2oz kevlar and 5.7oz carbon. Yours seems like a lot compared to what have been learning to use.

Greg

Yes, and I'm not happy with the stiffness. It seemed like a lot to me also !

​ I'll be adding a 1/8" cedar strip insert to achieve it, with a 6 oz cloth cover,
​ Also some stiffening to the side walls, using glass will be in order.

I'm not hanging seats, so will lighten gunnels. Probably cedar, with a glass covering.

​ Just made it home from the kid's. Found your straps in the mail. I'm excited to try them !

Jim

Back