• Happy National Apple Pie Day! 🍎🥧😋

Canoeing knife?

Reaction score
Hello guys. As some of you know I am getting ready to go down the allagash river in July. This is my first trip like this and I want to have the best gear I can get so I can enjoy it. I'm looking at getting a good fixed blade knife for the trip. I want it to be a good multipurpose blade that can be used for anything from opening packages, carving feathersticks, and cleaning fish up to survival tasks in necessary. I don't want something too huge flopping around on my hip but I also don't want a little knife that if the time comes I am severely limited on its uses. I currently have a mora classic #2 and a kabar becker bk-2 that are also choices to come along. What would you guys reccomend?

Thanks

I'm a big fan of 5" fixed blade utility knives. Just seems to be the sweet spot for me.

The BK2 is a nice knife but its a heavyweight at nearly a full pound. The thick blades that seem so popular of late are fine on large choppers but the shorter knives lack the swing to be a good chopper. That thick blade does inhibit other chores though.

My preference in this category is the Ontario Blackbird. Very plain no frills design. No finger choil, no jimping. Blade is thick enough to be very sturdy yet thin enough to dress fish & game. Works a fire steel nicely and I like the stainless blade. Weighs just a tad over 8 oz. I softened the edges of the micarta scales on mine for a nicer feel in the hand and purchased a superb leather sheath for it. Wouldn't trade my Blackbird for all the tea in China.

IMG_0089.JPG

I am a big fan of carbon steel knives and have lots of them, but for river trips there is often some wading and lining and knives can get wet. A carbon steel knife that gets wet in a leather sheath is often never really the same after that. I have gone to a Mora in stainless steel with a plastic handle and sheath that goes right on the PFD. It works for most things quite well. I still carry carbon steel knives for making dinner and cleaning trout, but they are safely inside a duffle.

Gman the Allagash requires very little. There will be no wading and lining. That comes later in Sept... I am not a knife expert but have found out anything will do.. It's almost Glamping. Its running very brisk now.. anything above 1000 cfs is good.. no walking anywhere. Anything above 3500 and stopping is a challenge. Wetness may occur from above.. its been cold wet and miserable for three days now.

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/nwis/uv?01011000

You can enjoy it without much at all.. You may enjoy it immensely if the Euros are here. Clothes optional at camp..

Knives styles are often a very individual thing. Personally I am real fond of the Canadian Belt knife with the willow leaf shape blade as a camp/hunting knife. There's a real inexpensive version available from Cold Steel that is way better than the price would indicate. There is also a full tang version from Canada,forgot the brand for almost 10 times as much. I have 3 of the cold steel ones in different propose packs because they are so inexpensive.
Turtle

I second the cheap stainless moras. They can stay wet all day. They come in bright colors so they are less likely to be lost, and if they are lost you aren't out much cash. I have a few of them too. One in the shop, one in my truck, and one that stays with the camping gear. I usually also carry a cheap rapala fillet knife. I strip off the bad varnish from the handle and leave it to soak for a few days in linseed oil. Wipe it off, sheath it, and toss it in a bucket.

recently when back to a belt-knife for tripping -- thought i'd try the dh russell / grohmanns 'jump knife' -- it's small and handy and has a flapped case that keeps it pretty neat on the hip -- strapped it on again last weekend, so it must have passed the season-one test last year - on of the few stainless knives i have, not sure it's really suitable for all the rugged stuff that some modern bushcraft knives get used for, but it's a handy little thing just the same...

I've got a 30 year old Buck 119 for heavy stuff. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. And a cheap Gerber folder for everything else.

If you are also taking an axe or hatchet, and you like to use the Mora, it would probably be fine for a canoe trip. I like to take a fixed blade and a folder. The fixed blade rides in my day pack and the folder gets used for everything.

I have recently switched to an Enzo Trapper in N690 stainless as a smaller alternative to my Fallkniven F1. The F1 is a great knife but overbuilt for what I do on most canoe trips. I have the 95mm blade in a scandi grind and recently made up one of the kits with a birch handle and flat ground blade. The flat grind is better for kitchen type tasks.

In winter I am happy tohave the Condor Bushlore in carbon steel along but I have too many days of soaking rain or wading rapids on canoe trips to keep my knife dry. These are fairly poorly finished as new but given a bit of work to sharpen the blade and sand the scales they are an absolute bargain for a woodsy type knife.

Given the funds I would probably have something from the Bark River range of knives, either an Aurora or Bushcrafter in 3V or the new Elmax, or maybe the Kephart if I wanted a thinner blade. So much choice and so little money!

The Ontario Blackbird above is a great choice. But, there are soon many choices. I'm dying to hear about a review of the Triplex Bushcraft X1 from Bushcraft Canada, so you could by that and put your review up for me... :) If you're looking to buy something a little higher-end, I can't say enough about Abe Elias' knives at Diving Sparrow. Best I've seen, and the handles are so comfortable. Let us know what you get!

No Title

Found a couple of pictures of those Enzo's. Top one I bought from Bushcraft Canada with micarta scales and the Scandi grind. Lower one is the kit with curly birch, red liners and flat grind. Although perspective makes the lower one look larger both are are actually the same size . The deluxe kit comes with roughed out handles so is a low cost and relatively simple way to obtain a high quality knife. A kit with uncut handle scales is also available at a lower price but requiring more time (and skill) to complete.

Attachments

• photo2317.JPG
    photo2317.JPG
    71.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo2318.JPG
    photo2318.JPG
    126.1 KB · Views: 0
For the majority of trips I go on, paddling or backpacking, I bring an Opinel folding knife. I like the locking mechanism and the carbon steel blade easily takes to sharpening. Overall length is 7" when open and 4" closed. If it gets damp or wet I just wipe the moisture off and start cutting pepperoni or salami so it's oiled up again. I can see where having a larger fixed bladed knife might be valuable but I've just never gotten into the habit of carrying one. After almost 40 years, the Opinel still works for me.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

PS - Opinel makes lots of other knives that are based on the same design but with longer blades if you needed something more.

I just wipe the moisture off and start cutting pepperoni or salami so it's oiled up again.

My buddy does this all the time. On the road into the Low's Lake campground, there is that little primitive pulloff campsite on the right...my buddy left his stuff out of sight in the tent. Yep, paid for it big time... bear trashed his tent during the time we were out walking down to the old train station at Horseshoe...only good thing was it was during the day. At night, he would have been in the tent! Just sayin'.

I had forgotten all about those Opinels. I've got a couple of them around here somewhere. I should find them.

The Opinel's blade is very well made, in that it's tapered rather than ground. I have a couple of Opinels and find they hold an edge well.

I'm an Opinel fan, I must have half a dozen of them, they are great knifes!!

Back