• Happy National Telephone Day! 🔔☎️📱📶

Canoe Therapy

We finished the canoe this morning. We are both pleased with the results, and Bob is anxious to get it out on the water. We are planning an ice out paddle with 2 of our 3 shared grandaughters.

From start

To finish, 1944 Old Town OCTA 16'

It is truly fabulous what we can do with old wood canoes. That one will begin creating a new history and memories for those who love and use it.

That's been an incredible restoration! An inaugural ice out paddle with your grand daughters, sounds like the perfect way to introduce them to a future family treasure.

Is that Sitka Spruce or just everyday run of the mill spruce, like they use for house framing?

I received this email from the fellow who supplied the spruce to this canoes inwales, We have a 6000 acre working forest here in town and Jody is the forest manager.
http://www.greatmountainforest.org/

Hi Robin, Maple syrup season is fully underway and using up the bulk of my time. I read the blog entries that you had written in regards to the restoration of the OTCA with Bob Welcome. Included was a question of the spruce inners. The spruce is Norway spruce, it was planted in 1919 and the lower branches were pruned to a height of 18' in 1938, as the tree put on wood radially it is clear (free from knots). Many of the trees are over 100' tall and over 24" in diameter. Each year I cut one down, saw it out and deliver it to Schuyler for gunwale stock. The spruce is not eastern white spruce as the blog suggests.
You did a great job describing the restoration process!!

Hopefully I'll see you soon.
Regards,
Jody
-- Joel (Jody) Bronson
Forest Manager
Great Mountain Forest

Back